[Other Sport] How to improve the Amex atmosphere?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How can we improve the Amex atmopshere?

• Pre Match DJ

Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Theme Days

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • Singing Section

Votes: 103 60.2%
  • A band

Votes: 19 11.1%
  • Club to create new chants/songs for us

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Involve audience more (eg pre match/in game announcements)

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Unreserved seating

Votes: 55 32.2%
  • BHAFC choir

Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Squad players to encourage fans

Votes: 14 8.2%
  • Classic TV shows on the big screen pre-match

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Celebrities to encourage us to sing more

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Or maybe the "not singing if we're not winning" thing is surely a reason why PL seems pretty quiet overall. It symbols the shift from "I'm here to support my club" to "I'm here to get the entertainment I'm entitled to".

Wasn’t like that on Saturday though, and it’s hardly ever like that in the North Stand either.

I was with a friend who is a Portsmouth season ticket holder, and she said the atmosphere was good and better than Portsmouth’s.

You really can’t tell until you’re there.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Wasn’t like that on Saturday though, and it’s hardly ever like that in the North Stand either.

I was with a friend who is a Portsmouth season ticket holder, and she said the atmosphere was good and better than Portsmouth’s.

You really can’t tell until you’re there.

Not saying that was a problem (from what I could hear on my tv the support was good) , just noticing that it has become a common stance that its fine/non-problematic not singing etc unless your team "deserve it" and that that kind of attitude is not good for the general atmosphere in the PL stadiums.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Perhaps we could pilot something completely new for 2020, like winning a game? Just putting it out there. :shrug:

Chicken and the egg, surely if the audience made more effort getting behind the team trhe chances of us winning a game would increase??

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Not saying that was a problem (from what I could hear on my tv the support was good) , just noticing that it has become a common stance that its fine/non-problematic not singing etc unless your team "deserve it" and that that kind of attitude is not good for the general atmosphere in the PL stadiums.

I agree. Like we’ve said before, the working class fans are priced out and are replaced by the middle class who, mainly, don’t have/show any passion, but to be fair to ours, a lot of them actually turned up when we were in The Championship, unlike a lot of other promoted clubs who seem to gain an extra 8,000+ fans overnight.

I like that our fanbase is growing, but I worry that we aren’t getting enough new working class fans, and in the future that could mean that we turn into the likes of Fulham and Reading etc.

We are probably seen as a middle class club by most other fans in the country because of the area we are from, but that isn’t true...yet.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Chicken and the egg, surely if the audience made more effort getting behind the team trhe chances of us winning a game would increase??

Indeed, utter entitled crap people expecting to get served up a footballing masterclass before they’ll deign to open their gob. That said, if we do win another game this season we could dust off an old Goldstone favourite “You’re shit and you know you are...”. Used to love that one., it’s lesser cousin: “You’re so shit it’s unbelievable...”

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Win more fecking games.

Simples

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
So working ideas for theme days?

1920's circus
'P' party
Fruit & Veg
All American Heroes
Iconic Films

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I agree. Like we’ve said before, the working class fans are priced out and are replaced by the middle class who, mainly, don’t have/show any passion, but to be fair to ours, a lot of them actually turned up when we were in The Championship, unlike a lot of other promoted clubs who seem to gain an extra 8,000+ fans overnight.

I like that our fanbase is growing, but I worry that we aren’t getting enough new working class fans, and in the future that could mean that we turn into the likes of Fulham and Reading etc.

We are probably seen as a middle class club by most other fans in the country because of the area we are from, but that isn’t true...yet.

Wow..a class war post.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
So working ideas for theme days?

1920's circus
'P' party
Fruit & Veg
All American Heroes
Iconic Films

Free snack size Texan bars given out for every song sung.

Free trial size cans of Diet Tizer for anyone in the ESL who stays beyond the 77th minute of any match of their choosing.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Or maybe the "not singing if we're not winning" thing is surely a reason why PL seems pretty quiet overall. It symbols the shift from "I'm here to support my club" to "I'm here to get the entertainment I'm entitled to".

As a supporter here 'on the ground' since 1976, I'm personally not knowingly at the game to be entertained, any more or less than I was in 44 years ago. I've always gone desperate to see an Albion win, I don't care how it's achieved. If the football's great too, that's a big bonus. I'm not quieter now because of any shift in thinking on my part, I was noisy on Saturday and against Spurs for example, and in the CH 2.5 seasons. Driven on by a team hunting a goal, winning or in mocking a wnkr in the opposition team.

You have a general point in that the game's been gentrified here. People used to just rock up at the turnstiles and pay their very affordable £2, then stand with all the other raucous folk. It's much more controlled now, and the demographic has changed at a club like ours in a relatively wealthy part of the world.

The killer for most people imho, is the lack of goals, leads and wins for Brighton, with a tension from knowing the importance of the points to help us stay in the PL cash cow. It's the same at other stadia. Stains fans only seem to sing two songs, St.Mary's eerily quiet when they're losing. Arsenal and Chelsea fans seem quiet without a lead, unless a bitter rival visits.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I seem to only recall the AMEX truly, ear shatteringly, rocking if we're:

Winning comfortably
Right up against it (Sheffield Wednesday play off game)
Shafted by the ref (2 reds v. Burnley in the Champ)
There's a panto villain in the game

We're reactionary. I can't remember us making any sort of noteworthy noise unless action on the pitch, for or against us, dictates it.

And unfortunately we are shit at the moment :shrug:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I don’t want a war. It’s just the truth.

No, it’s not..it’s your opinion.

You need to move to the brexit thread.

They will love you on there.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Excellent. I want to be a middle class club.

I don’t want to be a working class club. Smelly oikish bellends.

No plaice for them in football anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
You can't beat a good old Mexican wave for getting the atmosphere going, who's up for it next home game.
Can the North stand start it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If you want a noisy atmosphere then

a) put the singing fans next to each other
b) remove the seats
c) reduce the price of the beer
d) build the atmosphere before the game with some banging tunes
e) PLAY POSITIVE FOOTBALL from the start rather than last 5 mins

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports