Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How to improve NS and Amex atmosphere?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51457337

Manchester United have applied for permission to install rail seating for up to 1,500 fans at Old Trafford.

United, one of the major supporters of safe standing, made the request to their local Safety Advisory Group (SAG) in December 2019.

The club proposes to replace some existing seats in the north-east corner of the stadium.

Season ticket holders in that area have been told a safe standing trial is likely to take place later this season.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It strikes me as odd that the merest suggestion of a drum or a new song is met with utter negativity and derided as being tinpot. Do these same fans think the atmosphere at Dortmund, River plate, Atletico, Celtic etc is tinpot? Cause they they all do it.

Absolutely TINPOT singing in time

This country’s culture is individualistic. We don’t act in unison like other cultures, including their football crowds. Accept it. There’s no appetite for singing and ultra displays like in S.Europe and Germany, If that’s want you want, hop on a plane. You cannot change a culture. We like our food and beverages, sat down whilst having a natter and half watching the game prior to leaving before the rush. That’s our footballing culture. Not waving flags, playing instruments and breaching health and safety laws with fireworks and the like.

I was just about to reply to [MENTION=1022]Wilko[/MENTION] as I agree about the cultural differences. Think @portlock is correct.
Like it or not our social culture completely revolves around alcohol and meeting at pubs.

I always remember seeing this video of the Porto ultras at a roller hockey game. It must be a big social thing for them, they just want to meet up and have a sing song. I also noticed how many women are getting involved, and singing explicit lyrics about Benfica :lolol:

https://youtu.be/KxC1BLLdmwc

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I've been to about half the 92 grounds in the country, so yes. Agree the atmosphere issue isn't unique to the Amex, but the Amex is particularly poor in my opinion. People talk about the atmosphere at big clubs like Chelsea or Arsenal, but when they're playing little old Brighton, it's hardly going to be a cauldron of hate, is it? It's like when we play a cup game against Newport or someone, the Amex is basically silent.

It's not inside knowledge, it's just being observant. You read it all over here and you see and hear people in the ground turning their nose up at certain songs, and then having their own little groups that sing their own songs and ignore everyone else. Brighton are definitely worse for this than other clubs!

Ok, fair enough.

I still think the atmosphere is decent when it gets going. The first 15 mins or so and last 20 were decent the other day. In between that we created nothing on the pitch - which has happened a hell of a lot over the last few seasons. Imo that's been a big cause of the drop in atmosphere.

I was at Chelsea v Villa btw as a neutral - still bang average atmosphere.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Right, on a healthly dose of Mescaline, I think I've cracked it. Fed up with awayers having behind the goal, my solution is split the awayers into two corners so 'we' can have the best seats. Fukk 'em.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Ok, fair enough.

I still think the atmosphere is decent when it gets going. The first 15 mins or so and last 20 were decent the other day. In between that we created nothing on the pitch - which has happened a hell of a lot over the last few seasons. Imo that's been a big cause of the drop in atmosphere.

I was at Chelsea v Villa btw as a neutral - still bang average atmosphere.

The atmosphere is decent when it gets going, and on occasions it’s been fantastic at the Amex, almost always for big games. Same goes for anywhere really though, Chelsea v Villa might have been a bang average atmosphere, but if you went there when they play Spurs or Liverpool I bet it would be totally different.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Or maybe those in the north stand could sing louder and in unison. Ridiculous to suggest other fans should be forced to move, sounds like something a plastic club would do!!!

Score more goals and the atmosphere would improve.

The reason why the subject of moving the family stand to accommodate away fans is because a part of the family stand HAS already been moved for next season. It’s been moved next to where the away fans are now currently. A lot of fans have said this is a silly place to put them.

Get the North Stand to sing in unison? Either you haven’t read the threads on this subject or you are wilfully ignorant to the situation. There are two main singing groups that start songs in the North Stand that are too far away from each other to be properly heard. You’ve already poo-pooed the idea of moving them together. Unfortunately, the demographic of the stand doesn’t allow for a rowdy atmosphere, especially when half of it is sitting down.

And how about the rest of the ground taking some responsibility for once? There are many times when the I look over at the East and they can see our bit in the North signing our hearts out, yet don’t join in.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Can I ask how many of the “move the away fans to to the East where the family stand is” brigade, were jumping all over the story of Palace kicking fans out of their seats to accomadate the so called ultras?
Some of us have had these seats since day 1, do you think we should have a say?

You’ve been in the family stand since day 1?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but unless you have a constant supply of kids, won’t you need to move from there eventually anyway?

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51457337

Manchester United have applied for permission to install rail seating for up to 1,500 fans at Old Trafford.

United, one of the major supporters of safe standing, made the request to their local Safety Advisory Group (SAG) in December 2019.

The club proposes to replace some existing seats in the north-east corner of the stadium.

Season ticket holders in that area have been told a safe standing trial is likely to take place later this season.

Where are those who told us it would never happen?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Expand the ground to 35000 with a Kop style North stand, with standing area. Reduce the prices to max 30 quid a seat. Improve the bars with cheaper prices, more quality beers and decent food. Reduce queues. Have a band pre match and half time, local bands would be ideal. Bring back entertainment at half time. I know none of this will happen but we can dream cant we. I think our atmosphere is average at best but there are so many clubs and grounds in the same position as us.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
How to improve NS and Amex atmosphere?

Suggest winning a few games would improve atmosphere.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Expand the ground to 35000 with a Kop style North stand, with standing area. Reduce the prices to max 30 quid a seat. Improve the bars with cheaper prices, more quality beers and decent food. Reduce queues. Have a band pre match and half time, local bands would be ideal. Bring back entertainment at half time. I know none of this will happen but we can dream cant we. I think our atmosphere is average at best but there are so many clubs and grounds in the same position as us.

I'm not entirely sure why you think that will improve the atmosphere other than people drinking more. Price of pint is no different to other places in Brighton. Nothing wrong with the food or are you expecting A le Carte style menus?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I'm not entirely sure why you think that will improve the atmosphere other than people drinking more. Price of pint is no different to other places in Brighton. Nothing wrong with the food or are you expecting A le Carte style menus?
It was said with tongue in cheek but admit it there is not one suggestion in my post especially the larger North stand that many supporters would not welcome..:clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here