Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How the M25 nearly killed my dream...

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I was going to post in the "What is your plan of action for tomorrow" thread on Friday, but if I had, the actual day would have looked nothing like what I would have put...

My wife and I headed down from our home just north of Birmingham at around 6.30am, it was our Anniversary weekend, and she was booked to spend the day at the Nutfield Priory as we had been given a voucher, while I went to the football - then we would meet up later to go out in Brighton.

Making good time on the M40, with signs saying M25 shut between 8 to 7, and the radio was stating that it would open at around 9am - shouldnt be too much of a problem we thought, as we had set off very early and were expecting some delays. We got to junction 9 and again everything seemed fine, if it had been bad surely it would be stacked up much further back... do we come off at jct 9 and try the A roads, or see how it goes, particularly as we needed to get off at Jct 8 first of all to drop my wife off in any case... at this point the radio was still wavering on when it will open so we went for it...

About 4.5 miles out from jct 8 we hit the traffic and just stopped - at the time this didnt seem too bad, it was around 9-9.30am at this point, and we were only 7m from our first destination. The radio however started to paint the picture a lot worse than before... it wouldnt open until 12pm, and all surrounding roads were gridlocked.

I still wasn't panicking though, we still had over 5 hours... 1 hour went, and we moved just 1 mile... ok, now I was getting stressed and very concerned. Should we have come off at 9, 10, tried a completely different route, or even travelled the previous night (not possible as we had no babysitter for our youngest son).

Another hour, pile on the stress - 12pm and very little movement... hopes beginning to fade that I was going to get there, by 1pm I had practically given up when my wife said I should get out and walk (To the nearest station to try to get south from there, not because I had pissed her off from my stressing!)

I didnt fancy walking down the hard shoulder of the M25, mainly because there had been plenty of idiots (mainly in BMW's and Mercs) who had flown down there past us, and even though I desperately wanted to get to the game I had waited 14 years for, I didnt want to get killed trying. Not only that, but I had reconstructive surgery on my foot last year, and it wasnt exactly 100%.

I decided that when we got close enough to the junction I would then go for it... 1.45pm at this point... Alternating between running/walking briskly I made my way down Reigate Hill to the station and got there just before a train left to Redhill - thank God it was all downhill!

Now I knew I just needed to get south of Crawley as my dad could then pick me up to take me to the Amex (he wouldnt have got anywhere north of Crawley because of the gridlock, and he also had my mates ticket with which I was to gain entry - thank you SO much for the ticket) - I also knew at this point that kick off was impossible, but I just needed to get there to see any of the game, I was thinking even the last 10 mins would do (ironically so it turned out)... Redhill station though had SO little info on when/where trains were going and the timecheck was 2.30, so I hopped on the next one to Three Bridges and then had to wait for another to Haywards Heath.

I had been phoning my dad throughout - directing him to different stations as/when I worked out where I was going, I was very lucky he didnt tell me to go do one!

Dad picked me up from HH and at around 3.30pm the Amex was visible from the car... bearing in mind I hadnt ever seen the stadium "live" before and only photos, it just blew me away and even more so given my journey.

I ran up to a steward and asked how to get in, (by this time my feet/legs were like jelly and very painful) - in the WSU Block B... got to the stairs... HOW MANY STAIRS?! That was a mixture of pain and elation running up the stairs knowing I had made it even before half time...

Got to my seat - apologising for making everyone get up... and flopped down just as Sharp opened the scoring!

The view was brilliant and I thought 2nd half we were very good... from the others around me it appears I missed the worst part of the game. The Sharp tackle looked innocuous first hand, but I havent seen any replays - however I don't believe Dunk would have meant any malicious intent at all.

Great hit from Buckley to equalise, and then Noone's run and pass was just sensational for Buckley to put away the late late winner... the whole stresses of the day released at that point as I went completely mental - and if the elderley gentleman next to me is on here, then I am really sorry for pretty much leaning on you with my head when the goal went in!!

Marvellous scenes and well worth the earlier drama 100 times over... I will never ever forget the day.

To those who think I was stupid to stay on the M25 to get to Jct 8 - possibly, but the information we were getting was conflicting - a bad decision in hindsight.

To those of you who didnt get to the game - Really feel for you and please don't see this as a gloat, I really really didnt think I was getting there, and the happiness I felt walking in the stadium and then at the end will live with me forever - i just wanted to share the story.

To those of you wondering what happened to my wife - she finally got to her destination, 5 mins after her friend had left - so her day was far worse than mine, I had a lot of making up to do in the evening...

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
Very much like my story.... Except I couldn't leave my car so had to sit in the queue.
We got to J9 at about 10am, M25 clear so opted to stay on, bowled along at normal motorway speeds for 3 mins or so, then hit the jam......... and got to J8 at about 4.50pm. Went over the flyover and turned back towards home just in time for SCR reception to fade out. Thankfully 5Live covered injury time so I did at least hear the winner...

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Bloody hell. Not sure my heart would have coped with that! Did you consider taking a risk and slamming it down the hard shoulder?

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Bloody hell. Not sure my heart would have coped with that! Did you consider taking a risk and slamming it down the hard shoulder?

To be honest, not at all... even though we had seen others doing it (and called them all the names you can think of), we also saw that lorries were parked on the hard shoulder at intervals and pushing in once with everyone giving you daggers would be one thing, four or five times and they might be getting a crowbar out of their boot...

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore

I would have but there were loads of lorries parked up and cars already abandoned. Also, the shoulder's not continuous along there - lots of sections where there is no shoulder at all due to bridges, gantries etc.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Mate I came from Birmingham on the Friday expecting a safe jaunt I was caught in the traffic straight after the accident was on the M25 7 hours + and it took me 10 hours to get to Brighton arriving just before midnight.

Had I been 1/2 hour earlier would have missed it but then had I been able to get above 25 miles an hour the entire time I was on the M25 I would have missed it.

Too cap it all I was diverted on the way out of Brighton due to another accident on the A23 one of the vehicles involved was a Sainsbury’s Tractor trailer unit (Ironically I work for Sainsbury’s in logistics) all to see the Albion.

I was going to post in the "What is your plan of action for tomorrow" thread on Friday, but if I had, the actual day would have looked nothing like what I would have put...

My wife and I headed down from our home just north of Birmingham at around 6.30am, it was our Anniversary weekend, and she was booked to spend the day at the Nutfield Priory as we had been given a voucher, while I went to the football - then we would meet up later to go out in Brighton.

Making good time on the M40, with signs saying M25 shut between 8 to 7, and the radio was stating that it would open at around 9am - shouldnt be too much of a problem we thought, as we had set off very early and were expecting some delays. We got to junction 9 and again everything seemed fine, if it had been bad surely it would be stacked up much further back... do we come off at jct 9 and try the A roads, or see how it goes, particularly as we needed to get off at Jct 8 first of all to drop my wife off in any case... at this point the radio was still wavering on when it will open so we went for it...

About 4.5 miles out from jct 8 we hit the traffic and just stopped - at the time this didnt seem too bad, it was around 9-9.30am at this point, and we were only 7m from our first destination. The radio however started to paint the picture a lot worse than before... it wouldnt open until 12pm, and all surrounding roads were gridlocked.

I still wasn't panicking though, we still had over 5 hours... 1 hour went, and we moved just 1 mile... ok, now I was getting stressed and very concerned. Should we have come off at 9, 10, tried a completely different route, or even travelled the previous night (not possible as we had no babysitter for our youngest son).

Another hour, pile on the stress - 12pm and very little movement... hopes beginning to fade that I was going to get there, by 1pm I had practically given up when my wife said I should get out and walk (To the nearest station to try to get south from there, not because I had pissed her off from my stressing!)

I didnt fancy walking down the hard shoulder of the M25, mainly because there had been plenty of idiots (mainly in BMW's and Mercs) who had flown down there past us, and even though I desperately wanted to get to the game I had waited 14 years for, I didnt want to get killed trying. Not only that, but I had reconstructive surgery on my foot last year, and it wasnt exactly 100%.

I decided that when we got close enough to the junction I would then go for it... 1.45pm at this point... Alternating between running/walking briskly I made my way down Reigate Hill to the station and got there just before a train left to Redhill - thank God it was all downhill!

Now I knew I just needed to get south of Crawley as my dad could then pick me up to take me to the Amex (he wouldnt have got anywhere north of Crawley because of the gridlock, and he also had my mates ticket with which I was to gain entry - thank you SO much for the ticket) - I also knew at this point that kick off was impossible, but I just needed to get there to see any of the game, I was thinking even the last 10 mins would do (ironically so it turned out)... Redhill station though had SO little info on when/where trains were going and the timecheck was 2.30, so I hopped on the next one to Three Bridges and then had to wait for another to Haywards Heath.

I had been phoning my dad throughout - directing him to different stations as/when I worked out where I was going, I was very lucky he didnt tell me to go do one!

Dad picked me up from HH and at around 3.30pm the Amex was visible from the car... bearing in mind I hadnt ever seen the stadium "live" before and only photos, it just blew me away and even more so given my journey.

I ran up to a steward and asked how to get in, (by this time my feet/legs were like jelly and very painful) - in the WSU Block B... got to the stairs... HOW MANY STAIRS?! That was a mixture of pain and elation running up the stairs knowing I had made it even before half time...

Got to my seat - apologising for making everyone get up... and flopped down just as Sharp opened the scoring!

The view was brilliant and I thought 2nd half we were very good... from the others around me it appears I missed the worst part of the game. The Sharp tackle looked innocuous first hand, but I havent seen any replays - however I don't believe Dunk would have meant any malicious intent at all.

Great hit from Buckley to equalise, and then Noone's run and pass was just sensational for Buckley to put away the late late winner... the whole stresses of the day released at that point as I went completely mental - and if the elderley gentleman next to me is on here, then I am really sorry for pretty much leaning on you with my head when the goal went in!!

Marvellous scenes and well worth the earlier drama 100 times over... I will never ever forget the day.

To those who think I was stupid to stay on the M25 to get to Jct 8 - possibly, but the information we were getting was conflicting - a bad decision in hindsight.

To those of you who didnt get to the game - Really feel for you and please don't see this as a gloat, I really really didnt think I was getting there, and the happiness I felt walking in the stadium and then at the end will live with me forever - i just wanted to share the story.

To those of you wondering what happened to my wife - she finally got to her destination, 5 mins after her friend had left - so her day was far worse than mine, I had a lot of making up to do in the evening...

Made the same mistake of staying on the M25, but mine was on Friday thus less impactful to matchday plans but having notched 5 hours from Reading to Brighton I feel your pain.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I guess you have to have to balance this with the fact that some poor bastards were seriously injured in the crash. Kind of puts the being late to the match into perspective.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
I guess you have to have to balance this with the fact that some poor bastards were seriously injured in the crash. Kind of puts the being late to the match into perspective.

Absolutely - and while I was stressing in the car, my wife did point that out... our day may have been stressful, but at least we werent in a crash or injured

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore

Absolutely - I will at least get to another game. Some poor sods may not.
Also seeing people running along the shoulder with suitcases desperately trying to get to Gatwick, felt for them too.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Absolutely - I will at least get to another game. Some poor sods may not.
Also seeing people running along the shoulder with suitcases desperately trying to get to Gatwick, felt for them too.

When I got to Reigate station a family were getting tickets and I could see my train was coming - the woman was faffing and despite me thinking "oh bloody hell hurry up" I did see that they all had bags, and were probably desperately trying to get to Gatwick in time for their plane... must have been an awful day for people missing flights.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
And to think I moaned about having to queue for five minutes to get into the gents toilet.

A heroic journey, Mr R.

I did need the loo but when I stepped onto the concourse at half-time the queue was so long I decided to hang on... no chance of me going during the game as I didnt want to miss any more of the match!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Very much like my story.... Except I couldn't leave my car so had to sit in the queue.
We got to J9 at about 10am, M25 clear so opted to stay on, bowled along at normal motorway speeds for 3 mins or so, then hit the jam......... and got to J8 at about 4.50pm. Went over the flyover and turned back towards home just in time for SCR reception to fade out. Thankfully 5Live covered injury time so I did at least hear the winner...

That is so sad.

:nono:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Bad times. GUTTED for you, Mr R.

Trying again on Tuesday?

redseagull

Jan 4, 2010
exiled in the Midlands
Oh god , I really feel for u guys . I travelled down on Saturday morning from Birmingham & was 50/50 whether to get off at 9 or carry down to 8 , how bad could it be I thought . OH persuaded me to get off at 9 . Glad I listened for a change !

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I can see myself sitting combusting in a similar situation, and those tales will strike a chord with every true fan.

From living just near J11 of the M25, I just couldn't risk it and went cross country via Woking, Guildford, the 281, the A24 and then the 272 to Wivelsfield station. At times it did feel like most of the M25 was doing the same - clearly not.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I drive that stretch or road quite a lot and if in doubt ALWAYS come off at J9. It usually only adds another 20 or so minutes to get to the A23 via the A24 and A272.

Or as Tooting says go via Guildford and the 281.

john baldock

Feb 18, 2009
gloucester
HI guys so sad some of you missed a great day,we left Gloucester at 7 got to junction 9 at 9.15 and just caught sight of the tail back so dived of at 9 so glad the wife saw what was just up ahead and made town by 11 will always be great full to her for the quick thinking !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here