Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How the M25 nearly killed my dream...

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I knew I was lucky, but reading this thread I realise how lucky I was. Coming in from Kent I did hit a nasty looking tailback as I saw to my horror that the M25 ahead was CLOSED. However, having crawled to the top of the M23, I was mightily relieved to see that virtually everyone was snaking off the M25 and going North. Southbound was clear, and my journey was only marginally affected. It felt like a pain at the time, but reading this I realise how blessed I was.

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
I travelled down (thankfully) at 2pm on friday.

But I know its with hindsight I have a Tom Tom SAT NAV with traffic alerts it has saved me from delays many times on my motorway daily commute.

You know of a delay the minute you leave your driveway...and can plan accordingly..

Feel for all the west country guys and gals who did not make it

ady1973

Jul 27, 2008
New Milton
What I don't understand about all this, is why the police allowed anybody to pass junction 9. Why they didn't close the m25 fully there, god only knows. At least everyone would of got to their destinations , maybe it would of taken a little longer.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I am so glad you made it Mark! If a little late.

Thanks mate - the fact I was late was immaterial in the end especially given that some didnt make it at all... Even if i had got there after the game had ended I was going to wander around the stadium as I hadnt seen it "in the flesh" before...

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
I have posted on another thread my avoidance by coming off at Junction 10 via Guildord and Horsahm, only adding 25 minutes.
You need a map to let you come off early enough to avoid the 'DIvesrsion Routes'.
On a mobile, I use 2222 for Traffic watch, 2 junctions before whatever is on the gantry for delays. Nearly a couple of quid a pop, but that is worth it in the long run.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Unless I've read this incorrectly, how about a massive :clap: for your wife for staying in the car on her own while you legged it to the train? Fair play to that lady.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Unless I've read this incorrectly, how about a massive :clap: for your wife for staying in the car on her own while you legged it to the train? Fair play to that lady.

Totally - She understood what it meant to me and it was her idea for me to leg it to the station... I am very very lucky!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Absolutely! What a woman. And this was the weekend of your anniversary right? Quite a lady to have incorporated the footie at all.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Fair play indeed. Especially as her day turned out so shite!

Mind you, fair play to Reinalt12 for steaming down Reigate Hill to the station. It's all massively down hill, but a good mile and a half.

Fair play indeed. Especially as her day turned out so shite!

Mind you, fair play to Reinalt12 for steaming down Reigate Hill to the station. It's all massively down hill, but a good mile and a half.

I've got a customer at the bottom of that hill, every time I drive down it I always have a feeling my brakes will fail.

On foot though I think I'd much rather be going down it than up it.

maidstoneseagull

Jul 21, 2004
Maidstone
For the first time in 23 years of travelling from Maidstone, we had to take the cross country route through Tunbridge Wells but set off early and made it in good time.

thoreveraviking

Jul 29, 2011
Republic of Yorkshire
For the first time in 23 years of travelling from Maidstone, we had to take the cross country route through Tunbridge Wells but set off early and made it in good time.

That's the way we came through eventually after setting off at 7:30 from Donny and arriving at Falmer at 2:45. Well done to the original poster and especially his wife (can I trade with you btw ? )
Feel sorry for all the Brighton and Rovers fans that missed the KO or in many cases the whole game. Seems all the Sat/Navs in the world won't get you there if the traffic is like that.
P.S. I think I know intimately every friggin building in Tunbridge Wells it was that slow coming through it. :(

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Totally - She understood what it meant to me and it was her idea for me to leg it to the station... I am very very lucky!

What a fine woman she sounds. I trust you will be making it up to her in style sometime :)

Fawkesy

Apr 11, 2009
I did need the loo but when I stepped onto the concourse at half-time the queue was so long I decided to hang on... no chance of me going during the game as I didnt want to miss any more of the match!

The injury to Billy Sharpe was my perfect opportunity to use the facilities without missing any action.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Absolutely gutted for those of you that got caught up in that.

I left Glasgow at 1pm on Friday and was still well up north when i first heard about the accident on the M25, so thought it would be clear by the time i got down there. By the time i got to Wycombe they were reporting 22 mile traffic jams, I was staying overnight in Kingston, London so made my way in avoiding the M25 altogether. The last i heard was that it would be shut until midnight so assumed everything would be back to normal in the morning.

Got in the car on Saturday morning planning to head on to M25 when we got a text from my ex's other half, who supports QPR saying M25 still closed so we made our way through Dorking, Reigate etc. and made it in plenty of time. So grateful for that text!!

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
What I don't understand about all this, is why the police allowed anybody to pass junction 9. Why they didn't close the m25 fully there, god only knows. At least everyone would of got to their destinations , maybe it would of taken a little longer.

Definately, this!

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Interested to read of mishaps on M25. I drove from Bristol. M4 signs full of of M25 closed so decided to go via Guildford and Crawley. Thrashed around in Surrey woodlands for 30 minutes including driving into a very nice National trust property that would have been lovely on any other day. Arrived after 4 hours at 1330 - plenty of time to meet my friend for a beer but less than bargained for. Reading these tales, feeling better now that did take the scenic route - better map would help as satnav u/s once you need to detour.

To add to mway woes was 200m behind car that flipped over on M4 by Swindon on way back - don't think anyone was badly hurt by miracle and good news was that missed another huge hold up by a matter of minutes.

Oh, and BTW, am I just being a callous bastard but am I the only one who thinks that roads are closed too easily and for too long?

muswellgull

Mar 2, 2007
Muswell Hill, London
My Saturday was a total disaster...we left North london at 11.00am, hit the start of the tail back at Junction 9 at just gone 12.00, and exited the M25 at Junction 8 at 6.15pm!!! It therefore took us over 6 hours to go from Junction 9 to 8. I too don`t underdstand why traffic wasn`t diverted at Junction 10 to stop the ongoing build up in the jam. Gutted!!!!!!!

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I left reading at 8am and by the time i got through rammed up Reigate and on the M23 it was 15.40:lolol::lolol:
So i put my foot down i,e 100mph and got to the amex at 16.10:drink:

Bloody radio said it will open at 9am then 12 and 5 minutes later bloody 3pm,saw donny fans walking up the motoway and many other fans.Just a bad bad day but hey lifes to short to worry about these things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here