Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How on earth can we be losing £8 million a year?

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
I'm finding this very hard to beieve. We have average home League attendance of 25.5k and 22k ST holders (both highest in FL i think). Our ticket prices put us about midway in the Championship scale. Gus says our playing budget puts us no higher than 12th in Championship (think he may have said as low as 18th recently). Our net spending on transfers last season was about £2.8 million on reported figures (harder to know this year but appears much less). We have no debt that I know of (and therefore no debt interest payments). TB loaned the club about £80 million to build the stadium, which is an interest free loan not due for repayment until 2023.

So, how on earth can we be making an "operating" loss of £8 million a year?

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
We need to eat and drink more instead of watching the back 5 passing a ball around for 90 mins!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's the initial add-on building works shirley? Like an entire new layer of stand put in over the Summer, the filling in of the corners etc. When that lot's all bedded in, the profits must start rolling in, if they're ever going to. 25,000 punters spending money hand over fist at the Amex coupled with a canny wage structure has to result in a profitable enterprise. There's a million quid of revenue in rounds 3 & 4 of the FA Cup alone. It's all good.
Keep the faith and buy more beer! :cheers:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
It's the initial add-on building works shirley? Like an entire new layer of stand put in over the Summer, the filling in of the corners etc. When that lot's all bedded in, the profits must start rolling in, if they're ever going to. 25,000 punters spending money hand over fist at the Amex coupled with a canny wage structure has to result in a profitable enterprise. There's a million quid of revenue in rounds 3 & 4 of the FA Cup alone. It's all good.
Keep the faith and buy more beer! :cheers:

I would buy more beer if they didnt keep running out of the stuff.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Haven't read the other thread yet, but, for a football club, does operating profit include player sales/purchases, I suspect it does and if so then, easily.

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
It's the initial add-on building works shirley? Like an entire new layer of stand put in over the Summer, the filling in of the corners etc.

I'm hoping this might be the explanation (and the training academy). If, so it shouldn't be included as an operating cost should it, but as capital expenditure (as it is in the FFP rules)?

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Haven't read the other thread yet, but, for a football club, does operating profit include player sales/purchases, I suspect it does and if so then, easily.

Mr Barber seemed to suggest it was pure operating loss when I spoke to him yesterday

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex

Yes, I think it does but as I say in my OP we haven't spent anywhere near that on net transfers to my knowledge.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
I heard that every time someone makes a new thread about this, the club loses an extra £100k.
That's why we're in the shitter, pardon my French.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
£8 million compared to most clubs is like a drop in the ocean really.
Look at Man Utd debts Liverpools etc .
Then closer to home like the slags from Croydon probably 3 times as much as ours !!!
As you get higher up the debts will rise considerably !!!!!
I wouldnt worry too much

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here