Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much (if any) money will Oscar spend in the January transfer window?

How much cash will we splash?

• £0.00

Votes: 32 42.7%
  • £0 - £1,000,000

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • £1,000,000 - £2,000,000

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • £2,000,000 +

Votes: 9 12.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have gone for £1m - "£2 m as I think that we may go for Conway either on loan or outright buy if not we will bring in a similar type player and you dont get many proven championship level for £1m now. Ward is on a season loan so I think that will be left as that until the summer. There is of course the Belarus midfielder we were said to be after but I think that he is on a free.

As regards players leaving I am sure that clubs other than Sunderland will have Bridcutt and Ulloa on their scouting reports and Sunderland are leaking goals so I see Kuszczak and Upson a proven Premier player as the most likely to be a target and ripe for speculation.

Last edited:

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Your categories are wrong, zero appears in both of the first two, which will confuse the results. There shouldn't be an overlap

Can't see how it's confusing, category 1 is saying nothing will be spent at all, category 2 states up to 1m.....

It's not difficult is it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is this the first time ever that most Albion fans feel we have enough in the squad not to need to sign anyone except ,maybe Conway?

I can't remember another time when we weren't short or lightweight somewhere.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think we may sign Conway, but with the exceptions of Len and Koosh, I think anyone else coming back is going to have a hard time to get on the bench, let alone the team.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Well for a start we need cover for upson as some twerp on telly said he hadnt missed a game through injury for brighton since signing, so odds on he will stub his toe on honeymoon .

If we had been in the bottom half of the table i reckon we may have lost Bridders to the Mackems bit hopefully he will stay now as we have more chance of being in the prem next season than they do .

I reckon we will stick with what we have and why not .

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Is this the first time ever that most Albion fans feel we have enough in the squad not to need to sign anyone except ,maybe Conway?

I can't remember another time when we weren't short or lightweight somewhere.

I think our squad is strong enough for a promotion push and a good FA Cup run if Conway and Lita stay.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Hope not. 1 - 1.5m for a CB who will be 30 by season end, when we already have 4 decent CBs on our books.

He is far superior to Greer, El-Abd and Dunk GBM.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Conway back but I still think we are missing the creative midfielder to create opportunities Unlike Albion under Poyet we now do look for the one killer pass going forward into the fnal third and I would not be surprised if we bought in a player who might provide it even if it is someone who could be viewed as a luxury player and kept for home matches or where we are chasing the game late on.

When the entire squad is fully fit, Agustien and Orlandi will surely be competing for that creative spot at the head of the midfield 3. Even Lopez or Caskey can play there, although admittedly they have been used more under Garcia out wide or sitting deep respectively. For me a winger is the only must - March needs to be given time to develop with sub appearances and the odd start here and there, whilst Kaz & Buckley are too injury prone to be relied upon for the whole season. We know Conway is on the radar and wants to come as he only has 6 months of his contract left - so if we have to spend 500k of the inevitable Bridcutt monies to get him in, let's do that. As a promotion-hunting squad the below is more than enough to compete for top 6. If we were to go up it'd be another story of course...

GK Kuszczak Brezovan
RB Calderon Bruno
LB Ward Chicksen
CB Greer Upson El-Abd Dunk
DM Ince Andrews
CM Crofts Caskey
AM Orlandi Agustien
RW Buckley Lopez
LW Conway LuaLua
ST Ulloa Barnes CMS

Dec 29, 2011
He is far superior to Greer, El-Abd and Dunk GBM.

I'll take your word for it, but surely you agree spending a large proportion of limited funds on a centre back is madness? We have the 3rd best defensive record in the league, yet lack of attacking cutting edge is making it hard to beat even the poorest of teams. CB is not a place we need to address, a winger/attacking midfielder is.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When the entire squad is fully fit, Agustien and Orlandi will surely be competing for that creative spot at the head of the midfield 3. Even Lopez or Caskey can play there, although admittedly they have been used more under Garcia out wide or sitting deep respectively. For me a winger is the only must - March needs to be given time to develop with sub appearances and the odd start here and there, whilst Kaz & Buckley are too injury prone to be relied upon for the whole season. We know Conway is on the radar and wants to come as he only has 6 months of his contract left - so if we have to spend 500k of the inevitable Bridcutt monies to get him in, let's do that. As a promotion-hunting squad the below is more than enough to compete for top 6. If we were to go up it'd be another story of course...

GK Kuszczak Brezovan
RB Calderon Bruno
LB Ward Chicksen
CB Greer Upson El-Abd Dunk
DM Ince Andrews
CM Crofts Caskey
AM Orlandi Agustien
RW Buckley Lopez
LW Conway LuaLua
ST Ulloa Barnes CMS

Rather than show our strength that post shows that we need 2 or 3 players as that squad isnt good enough for automatic and would struggle to win the play offs.

The weaknesses are back up, Keeper, versatile Full back,attacking/ central midifeld and support striker until CMS is proven to be back fit.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Rather than show our strength that post shows that we need 2 or 3 players as that squad isnt good enough for automatic and would struggle to win the play offs.

The weaknesses are back up, Keeper, versatile Full back,attacking/ central midifeld and support striker until CMS is proven to be back fit.

No, no it doesn't - it shows that your opinion, as ever, is the opposite of mine. Our squad is in touching distance of the playoffs having spent half a season without a number of key players. Getting orlandi, ulloa, augustien, buckley and cms back to fitness, and the likes of bruno & lopez back into form, will only strengthen us from here. Maybe it isn't good enough for the automatic spots but the playoffs is realistic. We've beaten leicester and burnley this year, and as we know anyone can beat anyone else in this league on their day. Who's to say we wouldn't win the playoffs if we did qualify?

Name a better 2nd choice keeper we could get? Who's happy to be on the bench, and won't break our budget? Name a more versatile full back than Calderon. We've got a load of central midfielders, bringing in more is a waste of money. And an attacking mid, are you saying Orlandi or Augustien can't do that? Orlandi is IMO our best player - a luxury player who might not offer much defensively, but someone who can deliver a great ball and offer a touch of class and quality. Vicente-lite, if you will.

We aren't going to go out and replace half our squad in January. We may bring in one or two, but we don't have the budget or the need to sign all the players you seem to want us to. If we were 17th you'd be right. But we're 7th, on goal difference, with our best players still to come back. So I'm sorry, but you're wrong.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My heart is in my mouth whenever the ball gets anywhere near either Brezovan or Ankergren if playing, and expecting a mistake. TK is great but the back up is IMHO poor. Bruno is injury prone and no guarantee when he will be fit so if Calderon got a red card and 3 game ban we would be stumped. Ward has suffered injuries and is possibly playing on borrowed time before he is out again but Chicksen has improved and looks ok. The midfield is our problem although we have a number of bodies we dont have the quality in depth. The first choices are obviously Bridcutt Ince and Crofts but after them we have Agustein who looks good but cant last a full game, Orlandi by far our most skilful player but if he is off the boil we would struggle. Crofts is our only source of goals from midfield so again trhe back up is not of any great quality. It is said that successful clubs need 4 strikers, we have 2 and 1 hopefully coming back from injury reasonably soon, so 1 short. I would like to see us sign 3 players on loan or permanent depending on the money available, a versatile defender who could slot in along the back four, a midfielder who could get forward and score goals and finally an old experienced back up keeper from a prem club

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here