Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How much for Mitrović?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Potter himself said we could do with another Welbeck type, he fits into that IMO.

When you want to break up play, get control of the ball, having a strong big fella upfront, buys freekicks. How often do you see Welbeck Murray and Mitrovic buying a freekick? With us last night we didn't have anyone in that position so when the ball went forward it was just hovered up by Fulham's defenders. That to me is obvious and when the team was announced it was apparent we would have to adopt the tactics of playing through Fulham. Last season when we went on our poor runs Potter admitted he had to change it up to move the ball quicker and longer. That led us to the great run at the end of the season and into this. To do it you need a focal point upfront. We all appreciate what Welbeck does, even though he rarely scores, much like Heskey did for Villa and England. Mitrovic offers the focal point and is currently on fire in front of goal.

The 20 goal a season player is fantasy but another clever "lump" upfront is achievable.
I would find it amusing if we signed a striker and he scored exactly 20 goals :lolol:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Yep, not a player who would easily adapt to Potter's style of play anyway. In anycase if we were to try and sign him it should have been in our Championship days, when Chris Hughton was in charge and he had managed Mitro at Newcastle. Would probably have managed to get him for a song then.

Chris Hughton didn't manage Mitrovic at Newcastle. Chris was gone quite a few years before they signed him. However, Hughton did try to sign him in the January transfer window 2018. Newcastle wouldn't sell him to us and instead loaned him to Fulham. I seem to remember at the time reading that Benitez didn't want him going to an EPL rival, but it may be that we just weren't prepared to pay the C£15m that they wanted for him then. I have to make myself believe the former was true because in that same window, we were definitely happy to pay over £15m for a striker and I'd guess that Mitro would have been considered less of a punt than the striker we bought: Jurgen Locadia.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Chris Hughton didn't manage Mitrovic at Newcastle. Chris was gone quite a few years before they signed him. However, Hughton did try to sign him in the January transfer window 2018. Newcastle wouldn't sell him to us and instead loaned him to Fulham. I seem to remember at the time reading that Benitez didn't want him going to an EPL rival, but it may be that we just weren't prepared to pay the C£15m that they wanted for him then. I have to make myself believe the former was true because in that same window, we were definitely happy to pay over £15m for a striker and I'd guess that Mitro would have been considered less of a punt than the striker we bought: Jurgen Locadia.

Yes thank you for putting me straight, my memory playing tricks with me there. Certainly true though that Mitrovic was going through something of a lean time then though. No one knew that he would become the player he seems to be now, setting the Premier League alight and hitting the net quite so regularly.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I dont think he would fit in. Whilst he is an undoubted good striker, he has a touch of the Harry Kanes about him, getting in front on a player and then jumping backwards into him to get free kicks, falling down clutching his face for no reason were just two I saw last night. Too many dark arts about him, although its "clever" according to some commentators, i think he is a thuggish cheat.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Potter himself said we could do with another Welbeck type, he fits into that IMO.

When you want to break up play, get control of the ball, having a strong big fella upfront, buys freekicks. How often do you see Welbeck Murray and Mitrovic buying a freekick? With us last night we didn't have anyone in that position so when the ball went forward it was just hovered up by Fulham's defenders. That to me is obvious and when the team was announced it was apparent we would have to adopt the tactics of playing through Fulham. Last season when we went on our poor runs Potter admitted he had to change it up to move the ball quicker and longer. That led us to the great run at the end of the season and into this. To do it you need a focal point upfront. We all appreciate what Welbeck does, even though he rarely scores, much like Heskey did for Villa and England. Mitrovic offers the focal point and is currently on fire in front of goal.

The 20 goal a season player is fantasy but another clever "lump" upfront is achievable.

I've always thought he is a good striker for a certain type of team (maybe us under CH) and I wanted him at the time. However you have put together a very good case for us going after him now, I'm almost convinced

Just not quite :smile:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I can't understand, if he's as good as people say he is, why has no-one bought him.

It seems everytime we have a good player the world and his wife wants.

I've mentioned it on here before.
I work with a Serbian guy who goes to the same church as Mitrovic and knows him very well.
I did cheekily ask him to say to M, about coming to Brighton.
Answer was thanks but no thanks.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
£70-£80m I’d guess, with no guarantee he’d want to join. It would be the antithesis of every signing we’ve ever made, the window closes in a few days. He is a good striker who had another good game against us. End of story.

Question, What is a striker?. Didn't we have one or even two those in the past. :whistle:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If Fulham had any sense, the answer would be, 'More than you've just trousered for Cucurella and Maupay'.

Unfortunately for us, I'm fairly sure Fulhan do have a bit of sense. Unless we are utterly bonkers (or b.w.2) we move on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here