Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many refugees can you fit in a car?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
you my friend are clueless.......this latest round of migrants will have a derogatory effect like none seen before , do you not use the internet much...??? they are here for one thing and one thing only.......free money...!!

Bearing in mind migrants (I suspect you mean 'immigrants') - and these new arrivals are refugees - have made a net contribution to the Exchequer to the tune of over £5bn over the past 15 years, can you provide first-hand, empirical, peer-tested evidence that 'this latest round of migrants will have a derogatory effect like none seen before'...? I don't mean using third-person hearsay, internet fantasies, nor prejudicial half-truths.

Thanks.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Bearing in mind migrants (I suspect you mean 'immigrants') - and these new arrivals are refugees - have made a net contribution to the Exchequer to the tune of over £5bn over the past 15 years, can you provide first-hand, empirical, peer-tested evidence that 'this latest round of migrants will have a derogatory effect like none seen before'...? I don't mean using third-person hearsay, internet fantasies, nor prejudicial half-truths.

Thanks.

Don't let facts get in the way of a knee jerk reaction.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
L

I applied for any young Scandinavian women refugees but all to no avail. It's the bureaucracy and red tape that has held things up.

Doubt very much if it was the red tape at all. Probably the gaffa type they spotted.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Doubt very much if it was the red tape at all. Probably the gaffa type they spotted.

If you're going to cast aspertias then it's Gaffer tape anyway Pickles. Duct tape works just as well btw.

D

Deleted member 22389

anyone hear how Yvette Cooper is getting on with the family she said she was going to take in? Havnt heard anything either from Bob Geldof or Stan Collymore who spouted outrage at the lack of help and pledged to take in people who are seeking refuge......perhaps they are quiet modest people who prefer keeping their intake quiet.

in actual fact how are all the thousands upon thousands of people getting on with all the asylum seekers/refugees they promised they were going to house.

shouldnt they be promoting to everyone the positives of their actions,they all seem to have gone very quiet for some odd reason.

The Labour women who like to bang on about women's rights and equality, why are they not speaking up about the segregated meeting some of their members attended. Bunch of hypocrites the lot of them.
That's what pisses me off, and this is why alongside extremism is why we have problems with integration in this country.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic

This may be true , BUT does that take into account , government pensions we have to or will have to pay them if they stay , all the extra crime , court fee's , prosecutions , defence and all that . I remember following the court case of the alleged rape by the Brighton guys , I always looked around at the various courts at the Old Bailey and I would say 75%-80% had foreign surnames , ok some may have been born in the UK but this did annoy me , a lot of Eastern European names ! And of course then there are these immigrants who take the jobs of the unemployed so we still have to pay the benefits because they have no jobs to go to . Not so good looking now is it ?

I am not against helping people out in war torn countries , and we have done the right thing by taking them from the UN camps in the various war torn area's , if the asylum seekers of Calais are so desperate why cross so many countries to get to the UK ? They could of asked for asylum anywhere in the countries they travelled through but no they are greedy and want everything the UK offer and I pay for , France can keep them .

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
This may be true , BUT does that take into account , government pensions we have to or will have to pay them if they stay , all the extra crime , court fee's , prosecutions , defence and all that . I remember following the court case of the alleged rape by the Brighton guys , I always looked around at the various courts at the Old Bailey and I would say 75%-80% had foreign surnames , ok some may have been born in the UK but this did annoy me , a lot of Eastern European names ! And of course then there are these immigrants who take the jobs of the unemployed so we still have to pay the benefits because they have no jobs to go to . Not so good looking now is it ?

I have absolutely no idea what this means. I've just said they provide a £5bn surplus. That's after taking into account any prejudicial notion of widespread and systemic 'benefit scrounging', or 'greediness', which incidentally, EU immigrants are less likely, pro rata, to claim than UK natives.

Again, can you provide first-hand evidence to back up the claim that four in every five defendants at the Old Bailey have 'foreign surnames'?

I am not against helping people out in war torn countries , and we have done the right thing by taking them from the UN camps in the various war torn area's , if the asylum seekers of Calais are so desperate why cross so many countries to get to the UK ? They could of asked for asylum anywhere in the countries they travelled through but no they are greedy and want everything the UK offer and I pay for , France can keep them .

So out of 2m asylum seekers making their way across Europe, 5,000 have pitched up in Calais wanting to head to the UK. Seeing as immigrants make a net contribution to the economy, can you tell me, again using first-source evidence where the assumption lies that they are 'greedy'?

France, by the way, is taking in more refugees than the UK.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
We offered to take in a family for a month. Obviously through the right channels, not just anyone knocking on the front door.
I understand that 12 refugees were allocated to Hastings council & Lewes got 12 also.
In Hastings the number of volunteers far exceeded the number of refugees & we weren't needed.
If they contact us again next year when the next 2000 come over then we'll consider offering again.

If your offer remains the same,to house a family for a month in your home whilst you are in it also then you wont be considered next year either for housing refugees.

you can however take in an asylum seeker short term whilst they await their decision,they are not covered by the same regulations.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Thanks.

Damn lies and statistics

It is hard to know what net financial contribution migrants may have made (if any) as there are so many variables ie EU migrants/overseas migrants, who is a migrant, who is a refugee, which years are included etc. Added to this there are the vested interests of pro and anti mass immigration lobby groups who rely on media outlets friendly to their cause that cherry pick data to suit their agenda.

The same study is reported as a glowing endorsement of the net benefits of migration by the Guardian Migrants contribute £25bn to UK economy, study finds http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/nov/05/migration-target-useless-experts

The Daily Mail obviously with a different bias highlights a more negative interpretation Migrants from outside the EU have taken £120billion more from the state than they paid in taxes over 17 years http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...costing-British-finances-120billion-1995.html

And the Independent sort of straddles both camps but has it's own agenda.European immigrants contribute £5bn to UK economy but non-EU migrants 'cost £118bn' http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...y-but-non-eu-migrants-cost-118bn-9840170.html

Finally Migration Watch who went through the study line by line gave their view The introduction to the final paper states that EEA migrants have made a positive contribution and that non-EEA migrants have made a negative contribution. This does not make clear that the non EEA negative contribution was nearly thirty times greater than the EEA positive contribution, and that the overall fiscal cost during the period resulting from immigration to the UK was – on their own calculations - over £115bn. http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/briefing-paper/347

I think the best we can say is the Jury is still out on any supposed net financial benefit of immigration.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Colonel Gaddaffi said at the time that if his regime failed there would be 2 million Africans knocking on the door of Europe. He provided employment for lots of people in Africa and was highly regarded around the world.
I can't remember now why we brought him down but it doesn't seem to have turned out well.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Damn lies and statistics

It is hard to know what net financial contribution migrants may have made (if any) as there are so many variables ie EU migrants/overseas migrants, who is a migrant, who is a refugee, which years are included etc. Added to this there are the vested interests of pro and anti mass immigration lobby groups who rely on media outlets friendly to their cause that cherry pick data to suit their agenda.

The same study is reported as a glowing endorsement of the net benefits of migration by the Guardian Migrants contribute £25bn to UK economy, study finds http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/nov/05/migration-target-useless-experts

The Daily Mail obviously with a different bias highlights a more negative interpretation Migrants from outside the EU have taken £120billion more from the state than they paid in taxes over 17 years http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...costing-British-finances-120billion-1995.html

And the Independent sort of straddles both camps but has it's own agenda.European immigrants contribute £5bn to UK economy but non-EU migrants 'cost £118bn' http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...y-but-non-eu-migrants-cost-118bn-9840170.html

Finally Migration Watch who went through the study line by line gave their view The introduction to the final paper states that EEA migrants have made a positive contribution and that non-EEA migrants have made a negative contribution. This does not make clear that the non EEA negative contribution was nearly thirty times greater than the EEA positive contribution, and that the overall fiscal cost during the period resulting from immigration to the UK was – on their own calculations - over £115bn. http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/briefing-paper/347

I think the best we can say is the Jury is still out on any supposed net financial benefit of immigration.
Very very difficult to work out if we actually benefit as you have tax credits galore for most who are low paid and they get free healthcare and their children get free schooling etc etc.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Colonel Gaddaffi said at the time that if his regime failed there would be 2 million Africans knocking on the door of Europe. He provided employment for lots of people in Africa and was highly regarded around the world.
I can't remember now why we brought him down but it doesn't seem to have turned out well.

Getting Rid of Gaddaffi , that worked out just fine did it not :-

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/isis-daesh-beheads-two-sorcerers-libya-gruesome-new-execution-video-1532239

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
indian-train-funny-pictures7494040.jpg Just the Job!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here