Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many people on NSC are long term unemployed and for what reason?

I remember hearing an interview with a woman who claimed that her back problems were so bad that she was in too much pain to work but was able to drive, use the phone and go to the shops. To make things worse the car had been paid for under some disability scheme.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I remember hearing an interview with a woman who claimed that her back problems were so bad that she was in too much pain to work but was able to drive, use the phone and go to the shops. To make things worse the car had been paid for under some disability scheme.

It's a different story now, to get a higher rate mobility award is massively difficult (this is the benefit you need to get a car on the motability scheme) and the medical you attend is geared up more to catch out fraudulent claims than to help those who need help

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
In the case of my mrs who has relapse remitting and secondary progressive multiple sclerosis she is unfit for work, I care for her 24/7. The benefit I receive for this after my recent increase is a mouthwatering £34.40 per week.
Respect to you. My wife is disabled and I care for her 24/7, so I appreciate how tough things can be for you.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Respect to you. My wife is disabled and I care for her 24/7, so I appreciate how tough things can be for you.

Thanks for the kind words, it's not until you find yourself in our position just how hard it is, not only is mrs suffering but its us that see it and (try to) deal with it on a daily basis :thumbsup:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
So all those that are unemployed and claim jobseekers are all scroungers basically who sit on their arses all day making no effort to find work then ?

Seems my visits to most shops in towns each week, trips to the job centre and phone calls to various businesses doesnt count as "effort" then. Its hard finding work when a lot of jobs these days want you to be able to drive and have a car, have specific licences or to be experienced - id take anything really, but im still even getting refused for the "lower" jobs, like cleaning for example.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Thanks for the kind words, it's not until you find yourself in our position just how hard it is, not only is mrs suffering but its us that see it and (try to) deal with it on a daily basis :thumbsup:
I couldn't agree more. The psychological effect on us carers is something many don't see, sadly. At least we have the joy of the Albion to keep our spirits up these days! :thumbsup:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
So all those that are unemployed and claim jobseekers are all scroungers basically who sit on their arses all day making no effort to find work then ?

Seems my visits to most shops in towns each week, trips to the job centre and phone calls to various businesses doesnt count as "effort" then. Its hard finding work when a lot of jobs these days want you to be able to drive and have a car, have specific licences or to be experienced - id take anything really, but im still even getting refused for the "lower" jobs, like cleaning for example.

Its an interesting point you make and I dont mean it in a sneering way either.

Can I ask what you feel are ''lower'' jobs for you.

Do you mean jobs that would not offer an acceptable salary compared to not working and receiving benefits or 'lower'' as in you feel you are are too qualified to fill ??

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district

Hang in there Hawk. I hope your endeavors pay off and you find something soon.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Too much envy out there. Too many people claiming to be unfit to work.

Too many lazy opinions based on unchecked 'facts' coming from you. Too much of your woolly pontificating based on hearsay. :)

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Its an interesting point you make and I dont mean it in a sneering way either.

Can I ask what you feel are ''lower'' jobs for you.

Do you mean jobs that would not offer an acceptable salary compared to not working and receiving benefits or 'lower'' as in you feel you are are too qualified to fill ??

Jobs considered to be "lower" by say people earning over 30k a year - doing the jobs traditionally people didnt use to want to do before the credit crunch. Generally cleaning, waiting staff, shelf stackers in supermarkets etc etc. Generally these are paid minimum wage anyway and thats decent for me, ive set my sights low - anything higher is a bonus.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I,too,was rich once.

But the government cut my benefits,so now I'm just comfortably off.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Jobs considered to be "lower" by say people earning over 30k a year - doing the jobs traditionally people didnt use to want to do before the credit crunch. Generally cleaning, waiting staff, shelf stackers in supermarkets etc etc. Generally these are paid minimum wage anyway and thats decent for me, ive set my sights low - anything higher is a bonus.

OK thanks for clarification.

MY eldest is at Uni, do those very same jobs you mention.

Minimum wage and has never been unemployed since he left college, nor have any of his friends, it would seem those jobs are there.

I think at times people accept unemployment whilst waiting for the 'appropriate' job, when I feel that they should be working whilst waiting.

This isn't aimed at you by the way.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
OK thanks for clarification.

MY eldest is at Uni, do those very same jobs you mention.

Minimum wage and has never been unemployed since he left college, nor have any of his friends, it would seem those jobs are there.

I think at times people accept unemployment whilst waiting for the 'appropriate' job, when I feel that they should be working whilst waiting.

This isn't aimed at you by the way.

Oh of course, i agree with that. If you are doing that then maybe get a job for short-term, whilst looking for your "appropriate job" - shows employers your willing to work as well, which looks good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here