Aug 7, 2003
fahrer-berlin-agent-ipad-case-3.jpg

This one has the benefit of an iPad holder, should you be inclined to lose them

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I used to have a hybrid but found it a bit pointless, it's not like you can really take it off-road. I replaced it with a mountain bike with lockable front forks and fitted road tyres which gives me the same ride comfort as a hybrid on the road but with the added bonus of being able to whack the mountain bike tyres back on and go off-road.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
I know nothing about bikes but have been thinking of getting something that would cover road and limited off-road use and someone mentioned a hybrid to me so have been vaguely keeping an eye out. At the moment Halfords (which I am sure are looked down upon by those who know anything about bikes) are offering a Carrera Subway Limited Edition Hybrid Bike 2012 (20") for £229.99 - a supposed saving £250 so it might be worth looking at?

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
I have a Cannondale BadBoy. Crap name but super quick on the road and looks ace. Gets me from West Hove/Portslade border to the Amex in good time. Not so quick on the way home after a few pints mind.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I used to have a hybrid but found it a bit pointless, it's not like you can really take it off-road. I replaced it with a mountain bike with lockable front forks and fitted road tyres which gives me the same ride comfort as a hybrid on the road but with the added bonus of being able to whack the mountain bike tyres back on and go off-road.

I feel this is where the bike industry has got it wrong. Hybrids are not bikes capable of off and on road riding really, they are commuting bikes with an upright mountain bike position. The sooner these bikes are renamed Commuters the better as far as I am concerned.

If you require a bike that can go off-road at the weekend get a mountain bike and slick tyres. If you want a bike to ride to work get a hybrid. If you are a real man get a racing bike*.

[MENTION=8459]TWOCHOICEStom[/MENTION], usual advice applies. Try as many bikes as you can, do not rush your purchase, keep some money aside for sundry items (helmet, lock, decent rain jacket, lights) if you need them and pick a pretty colour (you are spending £500, you should like the look of you bicycle).

* This comment is only semi serious, for the benefit of other cycling geeks.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Thanks for the responses everyone, given me food for thought.

Before you buy anything ask yourself some simple questions.
1. What do you actually want from a bike?
2. Will you be riding on roads only, trails, or off-road muddy stuff?
3. Why do you think a hybrid will be best for you?
4. Will you EVER want to take part in ANY form of race involving a bike, or ride long distances regularly?

To answer this.

1. Ride mainly to work, into town and to the pub
2. Mainly roads and cycle paths
3. Because I don't ever want to go off-road, and want a combination of speed and comfort
4. Other than the odd London to Brighton (this year is my first) - I don't think so.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I know nothing about bikes but have been thinking of getting something that would cover road and limited off-road use and someone mentioned a hybrid to me so have been vaguely keeping an eye out. At the moment Halfords (which I am sure are looked down upon by those who know anything about bikes) are offering a Carrera Subway Limited Edition Hybrid Bike 2012 (20") for £229.99 - a supposed saving £250 so it might be worth looking at?

No, even putting usual Halfords snobbishness aside that bike should never retail at just sub £500. It should probably be around £350, still a substantial saving, but considerably less than the £480 (original price) they are claiming. If you get it from Halfords be prepared to take it directly to a proper bike shop to get it checked over.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

To answer this.

3. Because I don't ever want to go off-road, and want a combination of speed and comfort
4. Other than the odd London to Brighton (this year is my first) - I don't think so.

Sounds like you actually want a proper road bike of some description then, I seriously considered whether a tourer would be the thing for me when I bought my current mountain bike... but the fun I had on the trails atop Leith Hill at the weekend fully justified my decision! :thumbsup:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

To answer this.

In that case Tom, a 700c wheeled hybrid bike is what you are looking for. Brands I would recommend are Specialized, Trek, Giant, Ridgeback and Pinnacle (their designer is the guy who used to design Genesis/Ridgeback bikes so he has a good record of this type of bicycle). However, do not limit yourself to these, try everything, then try it again if needs be, you will know when you find the correct bicycle.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Anybody got any latest tips for lights that actually enable you to see where you are going to avoid potholes w/o street lamps on a moonless night? Under £100, preferably near £50.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
And I thought that hybrid bikes could run on battery power too :ffsparr:

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you are a real man get a racing bike*.

[MENTION=8459]TWOCHOICEStom[/MENTION], usual advice applies. Try as many bikes as you can, do not rush your purchase, keep some money aside for sundry items (helmet, lock, decent rain jacket, lights) if you need them and pick a pretty colour (you are spending £500, you should like the look of you bicycle).

* This comment is only semi serious, for the benefit of other cycling geeks.
* This comment is only semi serious, for the benefit of MY cycling geeks.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Why do the cycling overlords of NSC think that anyone who buys a hybrid bike has any desire to take it off road?

All I want is a decent looking bike, that covers a journey at a reasonable pace, but has wheels robust enough to bump up the odd kerb and trundle over a few potholes, without buckling.

My GIANT hybrid fits the bill perfectly.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This is the bike I have got my eye on:

Halcyon Yukon 8 Speed Nexus Town & Towpath Bike ONLY £299.99 [ 10HALCYUKONM ] - Discount Cycles Direct - Top Quality Brands at Discounted Prices

Needs a back rack and decent lights, so the price soon mounts up.

I new a goodish bike for 3000 miles a year. Slightly off road use.

I bought a new camera instead though.

I too can recommend a decent hub gear for a hybrid bike. I've got a Trek with a 7 speed shimano nexus hub gears and it's been a fantastic reliable piece of kit. Plenty enough gears for urban cycling, and virtually zero maintenance. Don't think I'll be buying derailleur gears ever again!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here