Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many hours a day do you spend at work?

May 17, 2011
1066 country
I think I read somewhere that a male wren may build up to 3 nests & the female will choose the one she thinks will suit her best. I maybe wrong though.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
8.30am - 5.30pm no lunch hour 9 hours a day five days a bloody week 45 hours a week, not including travel 30-40 mins each way makes for a lengthy week and a daughter at full time nursery leaves a bitter taste in the mouth, wondering is it worth it.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
As an aside are people able to switch off from work when they're finished? I'm generally good at this. I run in the morning so if something does need thinking about outside of the office I mull it over whilst pounding the streets. Knowing I have this me-time in the morning enables me to totally switch off in the evening.

Yes. I forget about work the minute I leave. I do what is asked of me and nothing more. That said, I do (I think) a pretty good job (annual appraisals suggest satisfied with me).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I've only read the last page of posts on this thread, but how depressing.
I've just finished a really intensive spell at work, and haven't had a whole day off in over seven weeks. So I'm by no means immune from what I'm about to say.
Too many of us, but by no means all (most of whom are deprived labour) are working too long. Between 1800 and 1980, workers managed to substantially reduce their working week. This has gone in to reverse over the last few decades. Labour has become more random and precarious. We need to find ways in which collectively we work less, and work is spread more evenly, instead of what goes on at the moment, with:
zero hour contracts
workfare
contracted labour
part-time work
and whatever other wheeze that's been introduced in the name of 'flexible labour'

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Crikey. That's some going. I hope they pay you well.

Today, OFSTED landed, so I was in at 0645 and left at 1800. An extra four hours free for the council and then two hours work at home.

Stressful time for you, OFSTED turned up at the school where my wife works at the end of last month and I hardly saw her for 2 days, they didn't give the school much notice.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
13 hours a day 3 to 4 days a week. I'm looking at starting some overtime to help with the first born on its way.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Stressful time for you, OFSTED turned up at the school where my wife works at the end of last month and I hardly saw her for 2 days, they didn't give the school much notice.

The inspector picked my class first thing and we had two children in a hold :lol: good they got to see the daily reality.

It would be better if they turned up unannounced, chatted to the staff/children and offered ways to improve, rather than creating a mad panic. Maybe I am being too soft on us?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Just worked four twelve hour days and still got tomorrow to go. Could hit the sixty hour mark for this week.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Hit the big twelve myself today & still got to get back from London. Ironically it's supposed to be the international day of happiness.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Usually 8-8 mon to fri for half the year, then 9-6 for the other half, but contracted 40 hours a week and overtime is paid at 26euro per hour after tax so I'm not that bothered working late!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here