Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many hours a day do you spend at work?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
We both know we are init for the love of PLUMBING at the end of the day:rolleyes:
Customers are just a PAIN generally ----- but I love em:love:

I love them when they ring up at 8 on a Saturday morning :annoyed:
I had a good job this week where the 'customers' were very nice, I was working in a cemetery :angel:

I spend a good part of my working day trying to locate the stopcock at customers homes, usually involves clearing out a kitchen unit full of cleaning products, then to find it doesn't work.
Can't grumble as it's extra work to fit a new one.:wink:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I love them when they ring up at 8 on a Saturday morning :annoyed:
I had a good job this week where the 'customers' were very nice, I was working in a cemetery :angel:

I spend a good part of my working day trying to locate the stopcock at customers homes, usually involves clearing out a kitchen unit full of cleaning products, then to find it doesn't work.
Can't grumble as it's extra work to fit a new one.:wink:

The last sink unit I cleared out had a gas mask from WW2-----fitted me like a glove:p

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Exactly 36 hours a week, spread over various day, night and weekend shifts on a recurring 8 week rota pattern, most shifts worked at home apart from 10 in Crawley. It's very rare that I finish late as there is always someone to take over from me.
ANY hours over the scheduled are paid as overtime.
Never take work home with me or worry about it.

I also do 1-2 days a month voluntary work for which I get no pay but it's rewarding in itself. I can claim expenses for travel and subsistance but as it's local I don't usually bother.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Thanks to modern technology, I'm not sure when I start work and when I finish. And also, thanks to modern technology, I can often flex the hours up and down. I'm not sure that's a good thing, but it's the way of the world for many of us today.

I guess I start at 6.30am when the iphone goes on, and finish at 7.30pm when I walk back through the door and the iphone goes off. And it stays off on Saturdays and Sundays.

In between, I can banter on NSC, do a bit of fantasy cycling etc. so take off 3 hours a day for bantering and travelling between work points and I guess I'm actually 'work' working for 45 hours a week.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
8am - 4pm Mon -Fri. Very occasional 3 hours or so on a Saturday or Sunday in the Summer months.

Wage slavery is injurious to my soul. I understand that the hours I do are relatively short compared to many in this wicked world of ours, but in the future I believe people will look back and realise that anything more than a 3 day week was crazy and no wonder there's so many mental health issues in the world.

Where is everyone racing to is what I want to know :shrug:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
As an aside are people able to switch off from work when they're finished? I'm generally good at this. I run in the morning so if something does need thinking about outside of the office I mull it over whilst pounding the streets. Knowing I have this me-time in the morning enables me to totally switch off in the evening.

A 2 hour commute ensures I am totally switched off when home.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Tend to do 8.15 to 4.30 as a standard day in office with about 10 mins lunch. Work from home one day a week when I tend to do 7 - 5 but with breaks to take my children to and from school & childcare. Once a month I sit on a board meeting in London and that's always 8 till 6.30 in London but at least I get a Burger King and gin in a tin on the way home :moo:

I'll take urgent calls on the train but I won't look at email on principle. If it's that urgent phone me. I write on the train though, blog posts or novel attempts or just arguing on here. I find it wakes my brain up (and if I ever hit the mother lode writing I can kiss goodbye to burger and gin day).

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
8.30 - 7pm pretty much as standard with an hour for lunch. My choice though - I'm the boss!

Weekend work every now and then, but that's mostly business planning.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Typical day sees me in the office in Canary Wharf 7.15am ish (train 5 mins either side of 6am), and usually leave around 6, getting home 7.30. Lunch (and breakfast) at desk, but try to find an hour in the day to get to the gym. Answer emails etc on train both ways, and later at home too. Often travel longer distance for work in own time (eg overnight/weekends) and do not get the time back.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
9.00 to 5.30 on a standard day in the office, and I ALWAYS take a full hour for lunch, to meet my wife for a coffee. And just a ten minute commute, makes it a pretty reasonable day.

However, the days OUT of the office can regularly be 12, 13, 14 hours. Only once a week or so though, and the pay off for that is the flexibility to pop out when the kids have a school football match, or knock off at 3pm on a Tuesday when the Albion are playing.

I'm pretty happy with my lot, tbh.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
About 9.30 to 6 weekdays with an hour for lunch. Technically on permanent call, but only if something goes catastrophically wrong, which is down to maybe once every 3 to 4 months now.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don't really have a typical day, nor set hours. Being freelance, I describe my working time as "permanent flexitime", but that isn't as great as it may sound. I've just finished now, for example, having started at 9am. But in that time I've run a few errands and done some non-work jobs. And I took yesterday off too. The number of hours depends on how many jobs I've got going on and what needs to be done on them. I guess it would be about 45-50 hours a week? But the joy of it is that I'm doing that for myself, I'm not sitting here working for anyone else, so I reap what I sow, so to speak.

My commute? About a minute – from the house, to the office in the garden.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here