How many days a year, on average, do you take off work sck?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I was waiting to go onto Stage 3 before I retired, they had some f**kwit managers at the end, couldn't run a bath let alone a railway

Had the misfortune of dealing with quite a few of those type of managers, I really did wonder at times where they found some of them.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I feel quite sad for anyone who gets bored with time off work due to something that still allows them to at least get out of bed. Surely there's more to life than work?

Oh and before you ask, so far this year...zero days off due to sickness, but I'd love to have at least double the amount of annual leave I'm currently entitled to. Better still, if it wasn't for the money, I'd retire tomorrow.

I took an opportunity to exit my company in August, first time in 30 years I've not had a job. It's been brilliant, but also confirmed to me I'm not ready to stop work. Will be a bit more choosy about what I go back to but need something to do. Agree a lot more leave would be nice, or flexible hours etc

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Been in my current job for 10 years. I only took 1 day off sick in the first 9 years but last year I had two illnesses and had a total of 20 days off work. I work on commission but still got paid my basic salary. 0 days off so far this year.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Union power and what gave you the idea RM was modern?

RM keeps the unemployment figures down by keeping the the hatstand mentalists in jobs.
You've not seen entitlement like postie entitlement.
Too many of my colleagues have no idea about the real world, and wouldn't last till lunchtime with their attitudes in a 'proper' job.

What a mindboggling policy. That's taking the proverbial......

Plus I guess the absence levels might suffer now you posties have to use a vehicle to do your rounds.........no more bikes or shank's pony to keep you fit?

Makes my 4 days sick leave in 35 years seem unreal.

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
Only time I take off is if I have the flu or sickness, my job is manual and they are the only 2 things I can't work through.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
That seems remarkable these days, particularly for an organisation trying to remain competitive. I'm not sure how any 'modern' organisation can tolerate such a policy. Is it a reflection of lax management or union powers?

In fairness any union worth it's weight should have decent sick leave arrangements in place to protect employees who have genuine health problems whether short term or long term. Yes it will get abused but that's a problem for manager's to figure out and address, it's what they're paid for.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
1 in the last 5 years and i'm afraid to say that was a "really couldn't be arsed day". However some people are horrendous say 4 -5 weeks a year every year and somehow they keep their jobs and that's in a large corporate company.

Jan 30, 2008
Most of you would never cut it as posties.

I think our sick 'allowance', before any kind of discipline can begin, which starts with a friendly chat about conduct is:-

No more than 12 days off or 4 separate leaves of absence...

... every 6 months.

That's right folks you can have an extra 5 weeks off 'sick' per year.

Like the muppet I am, my record is a couple of days recently and previous to that a couple weeks back in 2011.
6 posties phoned in sick on the same day last week at Lewes sorting office???
regards
DR

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
I have had half a day off sick in the last 2 1/2 years, as in I went to work and got sent home. On average probably 1 day a year off sick

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
None in my current job. Been there 18 months. None in the previous job (3 years).

Think it may be 2006 or 2007.

Strangely enough the older people in our team don't take any sick. The younger men in their 20s are the worst offenders. The Palace fan who started a week after me had a simply shocking record. Took about 6 months off in 16 months, at the grand old age of 25. Not surprisingly, he is no longer with the company (who bent over backwards to help him).

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Zero.
Actually struggling to remember the last day "off sick" but then I've been self employed for years so perhaps the ability to control what I do means I hardly ever get sick, touch wood, white rabbit, jinks.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Incorrect.

The trigger point is 4 absences or a total of 14 days a year to trigger stage 1 of 3 of the attendance procedure.

This can still be staggeringly abused as you can take 6 months off at full pay, be issued with a stage 1 warning, keep your nose clean for a year and repeat the process...
I'm not going to go completely out on a limb here, as that would involve me paying attention in WTL.

But I'm reasonably sure it got changed to 6 months a few weeks ago.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Zero for well over 20 years. Took two days off when my son was born. He is 23 now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports