How many days a year, on average, do you take off work sck?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
I had a day off three years ago with a terrible migraine, and couldn't stop vomiting.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
None, self employed, like me, can't afford to.
Strange but the self employed are never sick enough to take days off.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Six pages in and still no mention of the The Bradford Factor.

I'm wondering if this is an info gathering thread for Dave and his mates, just to see what he can include in next years "Brilliant" speech.

Perhaps once they've opted us all out of the Human Rights Act they can introduce something nice for us all in their 'British Bill of Rights and Responsibilities'?

Something along the lines of....score poorly on the The Bradford Factor and expect to take your turn in the stocks on your local village green so all the HARD WORKING FAMILIES can have a day out throwing rotting cabbages at the work shy feckless scum.

Could be a vote winner. :wink:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I came off my bike a few years ago and sprained my shoulder, I was signed of for a month and thought, Great ,a month with nothing to do, I didnt feel ill, my shoulder only hurt when I moved it,so i was very happy with a month off. After two weeks I was climbing the walls I was so bored, and more or less begged the Docs to let me go back to work after 3 weeks.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Did my back in the morning of the 6-1 thrashing at Anfield, tripping over the dog. Had to have month off and went absolutely stir mental hatstand crazy with boredom haven't had a day off since.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Two days with Flu in 1972 and that's it. Do I win the prize?

Yup, I think you win.

I've had 7 days off in 35 years of work, 5 days of which were at the same time, when I had an operation on my knee.

I guess I've been extremely lucky, but keeping fit and a decent diet helps.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Think I have an iron stomach. I have managed to not be sick or have the shits at all in Africa which believe me is some going. Felt a bit rough but never ill enough to justify a day off. Did you get ill in India? If not you may have the iron stomach too.

Did my back in the morning of the 6-1 thrashing at Anfield, tripping over the dog. Had to have month off and went absolutely stir mental hatstand crazy with boredom haven't had a day off since.

That was still better than our second half performance at Anfield

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I feel quite sad for anyone who gets bored with time off work due to something that still allows them to at least get out of bed. Surely there's more to life than work?

Oh and before you ask, so far this year...zero days off due to sickness, but I'd love to have at least double the amount of annual leave I'm currently entitled to. Better still, if it wasn't for the money, I'd retire tomorrow.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It depends if I am dead or not.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I've not had a sick day in my current job or either of my last two jobs, dating back to 2009 when I was temping at some dull as shit Croydon firm and would occasionally take a day just to avoid having to deal with Croydon.

I've had a few colds and on one occasion had a pretty brutal case of pharyngitis but I usually power on through or if it's really bad I'll elect to work from home but nothing has left me bedridden to an extent I physically couldn't work.

I do think it's no coincidence that I took the decision to take my health more seriously a few years back. Shed four stone through changing my diet and taking regular exercise and I seem to have become far more resistant to various lurgies ever since.

Presumably I'll be struck down with emphysema within minutes of posting this now, as is the law of sod

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Think I have an iron stomach. I have managed to not be sick or have the shits at all in Africa which believe me is some going. Felt a bit rough but never ill enough to justify a day off. Did you get ill in India? If not you may have the iron stomach too.

I feel quite sad for anyone who gets bored with time off work due to something that still allows them to at least get out of bed. Surely there's more to life than work?

Oh and before you ask, so far this year...zero days off due to sickness, but I'd love to have at least double the amount of annual leave I'm currently entitled to. Better still, if it wasn't for the money, I'd retire tomorrow.

When I was off with my shoulder, my Missus was working all day, the kids were at school, all my friends were working, and although i wasn't in constant pain, it was a bad sprain that reduced my arms mobility to nil, I couldn't even cut up my own food so there was really nothing i could do. I was also losing about 25% of my wages( overtime) so was really restricted

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Most of you would never cut it as posties.

I think our sick 'allowance', before any kind of discipline can begin, which starts with a friendly chat about conduct is:-

No more than 12 days off or 4 separate leaves of absence...

... every 6 months.

That's right folks you can have an extra 5 weeks off 'sick' per year.

Like the muppet I am, my record is a couple of days recently and previous to that a couple weeks back in 2011.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Lost count of the times I got put on MFA and sent to the BUPA doctor, every time was the same the doctor just laughed, called my manager an idiot and wrote it off. They never did get it beyond stage one.

I was waiting to go onto Stage 3 before I retired, they had some f**kwit managers at the end, couldn't run a bath let alone a railway

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

I think our sick 'allowance', before any kind of discipline can begin, which starts with a friendly chat about conduct is:-

... every 6 months.

Like the muppet I am, my record is a couple of days recently and previous to that a couple weeks back in 2011.

That seems remarkable these days, particularly for an organisation trying to remain competitive. I'm not sure how any 'modern' organisation can tolerate such a policy. Is it a reflection of lax management or union powers?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That seems remarkable these days, particularly for an organisation trying to remain competitive. I'm not sure how any 'modern' organisation can tolerate such a policy. Is it a reflection of lax management or union powers?
Union power and what gave you the idea RM was modern?

RM keeps the unemployment figures down by keeping the the hatstand mentalists in jobs.
You've not seen entitlement like postie entitlement.
Too many of my colleagues have no idea about the real world, and wouldn't last till lunchtime with their attitudes in a 'proper' job.

Curryisgreat

Dec 9, 2010

... every 6 months.

Incorrect.

The trigger point is 4 absences or a total of 14 days a year to trigger stage 1 of 3 of the attendance procedure.

This can still be staggeringly abused as you can take 6 months off at full pay, be issued with a stage 1 warning, keep your nose clean for a year and repeat the process...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports