Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] How long will Brexit continue to dominate British Politics ?

How long will Brexit dominate British Politics

• 2 weeks (as per Swinson)

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 6 months 2 weeks (as per Corbyn)

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • 13 months (as per Johnson)

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • 3 years

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • 5 years

Votes: 14 12.4%
  • 10 years

Votes: 23 20.4%
  • 20 years

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • 50 years (as per JRM)

Votes: 23 20.4%

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The problem with Brexit is that no-one expected leave to win so no-one planned for it.
What should have happened is that after the vote a national commission of some sort should have been assembled with all the political parties and all the major industries to put together a sensible plan.
What happened instead was that the woeful Theresa Remainer May sent a single civil servant to Brussels to get shafted.
Brexit will dominate the headlines all the time that the Brexit-deniers (metropolitan elite/BBC/Whitehall civil servants) continue to whinge and whine instead of backing the country.
There was only one form of remain and there were numerous forms of Leave, add to that a flawed form of referendum that wouldn't pass the test at the local Golf club and it was always going to be a shitshow.

Brexit was never going to enrich the UK, but the Vote Leave cabal that tried to deliver it made it even worse. They'll all be gone soon and never be held to account for their crimes.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
100% this. It was never, ever going to be a success. The damage Brexiteers have done to this country is unimaginable and will eventually lead to the break up of the union. That's on them though. I voted for a better future for my kids.

Perhaps naively, a bit more optimistic here. Hoping we’re allowed to rejoin and do in a second Labour term.

The SNP are waning, with no Tory government, they can’t play that vote attracting card.

NI is complex way beyond/before Brexit. Demographics may shape its destiny.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
100% this. It was never, ever going to be a success. The damage Brexiteers have done to this country is unimaginable and will eventually lead to the break up of the union. That's on them though. I voted for a better future for my kids.
I was very down on the State of the Union of the UK, largely because Johnson was an English nationalist that had no respect for the devolved regions.

I'm slightly more optimistic now with him and Sturgeon (she was an asset for the Independence movement) gone and the NI situation improving.

Always found it bizarre all the Union flag waving by a side that was destroying that very thing before their eyes.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
The problem with Brexit is that no-one expected leave to win so no-one planned for it.
What should have happened is that after the vote a national commission of some sort should have been assembled with all the political parties and all the major industries to put together a sensible plan.
What happened instead was that the woeful Theresa Remainer May sent a single civil servant to Brussels to get shafted.
Brexit will dominate the headlines all the time that the Brexit-deniers (metropolitan elite/BBC/Whitehall civil servants) continue to whinge and whine instead of backing the country.
What gives you the right to say that those who do not support brexit are not ‘backing the country’?
Trying to export, create jobs, build a business that makes a profit so pays taxes etc etc is ten times harder post brexit. That is the reality for many businesses and it has not got easier for any. But we/they keep going despite the pointless economic self destruction that brexit has caused. That is how we ‘back the country’. How is Brexit ‘backing the country’?

Perhaps I should ask the chief brexiteer R-Mogg who last week stated we should allow growth hormone raised beef (banned on health and welfare grounds in europe for 30 years) in from Australia and it doesn't matter if our farmers go bust as a result. Thats what i call ‘backing our country’!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Civil Servants make Parliament work within the existing laws of the country. They don’t have the power to stop anything, and whinging doesn’t change laws. That’s a ridiculous thing to post, and shows you believe the lies.
i was a civil servant (not in Parliament) and I couldn’t tell you how my colleagues voted. One or two made comments (pre 2014) about life in general, which gave me a clue as to their political leanings.
Next, you’ll be blaming Lefty lawyers!
Theresa May wanted to evoke Article 50 immediately, but Gina Miller, an experienced lawyer, rightly pointed out, that it took an Act of Parliament in 1973 to join the EEC, so it had to be an Act of Parliament to take us out.
Did you realise that the British Parliament is sovereign and always has been? May was forced to comply by the courts. She then panicked, and called a General Election, which she only won by bribing the DUP.
She had a deal, but Boris Johnson, and his ERG mates kept voting against it as not being hard enough, and finally forced her out.
If it was only the ERG voting against it, it would have passed through Parliament. Don't forget the part that opposition parties took in blocking everything, calling for second referendums etc resulting in May resigning, her deal not being agreed and Boris ending up with a stonking majority and the monumental balls up that resulted.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If it was only the ERG voting against it, it would have passed through Parliament. Don't forget the part that opposition parties took in blocking everything, calling for second referendums etc resulting in May resigning, her deal not being agreed and Boris ending up with a stonking majority and the monumental balls up that resulted.

That 'monumental balls up' has a name. It's called Brexit :wink:

It's incredible that, after all of that, the leader of the Brexit campaign got himself an 80 seat majority and was allowed to implement exactly the Brexit that they had campaigned for and so many voted for, completely unfettered by any sort of opposition.

However, as soon as it actually happened, Theresa May, Jeremy Corbyn, John Bercow, Covid, the Ukraine war, Remainers, not believing, Uncle Tom Cobbly etc etc are all to blame for it being a complete and utter shitshow.

And the latest plan to avoid any responsibility and not address any of the current issues they caused ? Run away and say we don't want to talk about it any more :lolol:

Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Perhaps naively, a bit more optimistic here. Hoping we’re allowed to rejoin and do in a second Labour term.

The SNP are waning, with no Tory government, they can’t play that vote attracting card.

NI is complex way beyond/before Brexit. Demographics may shape its destiny.

We must 100% rejoin, and I do hope a second Labour term puts that back on the table. Shame we won't have any of the benefits we had before we left.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Here's a quick round-up of excuses why Brexit has failed:

1. COVID and Ukraine have combined to make the transition a lot more complex (Potty).
2. No-one expected leave to win so no-one planned for it (Winker).
3. Theresa May sent a single civil servant to Brussels to negotiate (Winker).
4. The metropolitan elite, BBC and Whitehall civil servants continue to whinge and whine instead of backing the country (Winker).

I've got No. 2 in the lead at the moment.

Please add in any I've missed, and make your own additions, as they arise. Thanks in advance.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Trying to export, create jobs, build a business that makes a profit so pays taxes etc etc is ten times harder post brexit. That is the reality for many businesses and it has not got easier for any. But we/they keep going despite the pointless economic self destruction that brexit has caused. That is how we ‘back the country’. How is Brexit ‘backing the country’?
Yes, there is more paperwork invoved post-Brexit - but it's not '10 times harder' (my businees is 100% export so I know what I'm talking about)

I'd much rather be in than out - but the falling value of Sterling compared to USD and € post Brexit means we won a lot more business post June 2016 (and paid a lot more tax)

Shame Starmer is so anti rejoing SM and CU - he's going to walk the election anyway but is pandering to a (crumbling) red wall vote.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
We must 100% rejoin, and I do hope a second Labour term puts that back on the table. Shame we won't have any of the benefits we had before we left.

I think it will be small steps, a new customs 'deal' for Britain (because we're so special) which may have an awful lot in common with a customs union, then maybe re-join the Single Market. It will take a long time and of course we will get nowhere near the deal politicians of all political hues managed to negotiate over the last 40 years of being one of the two biggest players in the EU.

Obviously we desperately need things to change to try and turn our economy round, but if we re-joined fully tomorrow, the negative effects would still last generations :down:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yes, there is more paperwork invoved post-Brexit - but it's not '10 times harder' (my businees is 100% export so I know what I'm talking about)

I'd much rather be in than out - but the falling value of Sterling compared to USD and € post Brexit means we won a lot more business post June 2016 (and paid a lot more tax)

Shame Starmer is so anti rejoing SM and CU - he's going to walk the election anyway but is pandering to a (crumbling) red wall vote.

I suspect Starmer isn't anti SM/CU at all, I don't think he is an idiot and he realises what needs to be done for the economy. However, I think he recognises that first and foremost he has to get the biggest majority he can. Don't forget there is a Brexit 5 year review/re-negotiation for the UK/EU due in 2025.

As I pointed out earlier, a major review could well end up with 'special' customs rules just for Britain which, of course, may coincidentally have certain similarities to a Customs Union. As long as nobody writes it on the side of a bloody bus, I can guarantee a lot of the electorate wouldn't realise :lolol:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I suspect Starmer isn't anti SM/CU at all, I don't think he is an idiot and he realises what needs to be done for the economy. However, I think he recognises that first and foremost he has to get the biggest majority he can. Don't forget there is a Brexit 5 year review/re-negotiation for the UK/EU due in 2025.

As I pointed out earlier, a major review could well end up with 'special' customs rules just for Britain which, of course, may coincidentally have certain similarities to a Customs Union. As long as nobody writes it on the side of a bus, I can guarantee a lot of the electorate wouldn't realise :lolol:
I'm not sure the EU will want a re-negotiation but maybe we can get some changes to Johnson's deal he didn't even read.

In the meantime we are poorer and sadly many of victims will be those that bought a snake oil.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm not sure the EU will want a re-negotiation but maybe we can get some changes to Johnson's deal he didn't even read.

In the meantime we are poorer and sadly many of victims will be those that bought a snake oil.

The review/re-negotiation is already there as part of the Brexit deal. As long as it's beneficial to both the EU and UK I think it will be done and let's face it, a Customs Union type thing would be beneficial to both.

Obviously there would be more pressure on the EU to re-negotiate had we ever actually managed to put our import controls in place, and disturb their exports to us, but I can't see us doing that with the huge impact it would have on inflation. Hopefully, there would still be sufficient benefits to the EU to consider it worthwhile though :thumbsup:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I suspect we lost a lot of friends and goodwill in the EU during our negotiations.

But time heals. It would make sense that the more time that passes, then those spiky Brexiteers will have fallen off the perch, there will also have been turnover of staff in the EU, and the more accommodating the EU are likely to be. A general election and new faces in parliament will also help.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I suspect we lost a lot of friends and goodwill in the EU during our negotiations.

But time heals. It would make sense that the more time that passes, then those spiky Brexiteers will have fallen off the perch, there will also have been turnover of staff in the EU, and the more accommodating the EU are likely to be. A general election and new faces in parliament will also help.

At the time respected European area journalists such as Katya Adler and Anna Holligan said we still had lots of friends and friendly nations who were sad. Germans, Poles, Dutch, Swedes, Danes, Finns, Czechs. They meant politicians and business people. The Germans liked the way we traded and our business ethos, as opposed to French ways.

I’m very hopeful there’d be goodwill.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Given that Boris Johnson was the prime mover behind Vote Leave winning - why are you blaming the shitshow on May's deal not getting through? Surely if you voted for Brexit, you voted for Johnson's deal?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here