Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How long have you been with your other half or longest relationship ?

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Lots of people married again after a failed marriage on here. My divorce made me seriously question the benefits of marriage; it's certainly not a commitment anymore. Other than to satisfy religious beliefs - a valid reason - can anyone give me a good reason to get married these days?

Legal protection. And marriage is still a commitment. If you can't make that commitment, it's possibly the wrong partner.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
can anyone give me a good reason to get married these days?

Mrs T and I got married virtually on a whim at my 40th birthday party, mainly to give people an incentive to turn up for it.

We were together 18 years before that, very happily, with no plans to wed - especially having watched my parents' and both my sisters' marriages all end in tears. I remember having lots of 'discussions' with my dear old mum telling her that no way was I going to fall in to the same trap that she and my dad had. No sir, the single life for me.

But since we got married the feeling between us has been even better and we've been even closer. Difficult to pin down exactly why, as nothing has outwardly changed, besides a couple of rings and a piece of paper. We're not religious; have no kids. It just feels better.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
Mrs T and I got married virtually on a whim at my 40th birthday party, mainly to give people an incentive to turn up for it.

We were together 18 years before that, very happily, with no plans to wed - especially having watched my parents' and both my sisters' marriages all end in tears. I remember having lots of 'discussions' with my dear old mum telling her that no way was I going to fall in to the same trap that she and my dad had. No sir, the single life for me.

But since we got married the feeling between us has been even better and we've been even closer. Difficult to pin down exactly why, as nothing has outwardly changed, besides a couple of rings and a piece of paper. We're not religious; have no kids. It just feels better.

Really pleased for you buddy - enjoyed your post :)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Pretty much given up now mate.

Never give up ... but enjoy what you have as well and enjoy your life.

There's a business idea for someone a dating website for single football fans. Now the likelihood of picking up a fellow Albion an in your age bracket is remote BUT you may pick up an "palatable" Charlton fan ... doesn't sound so good now .... I'M OUT!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I am the luckiest Man alive...................Married 32 years last Thursday and she is football mad
Whats to go wrong :albion2::albion2:

I honestly think I prefer the fact that my missis is fairly indifferent when it comes to the footy.

sirbrian

Feb 5, 2004
Married 32 years known each other for longer - not very interested in Football she's been to two games;
Blackpool at Goldstone in the North Stand end of season pitch invasion at the end, scared her to death, never going again
Chesterfield away lost 0-1, oatway sent off nearly pitch invasion and punch up with stewards near us, again scared her, never going again
She's got a ticket for saturday.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Married 32 years known each other for longer - not very interested in Football she's been to two games;
Blackpool at Goldstone in the North Stand end of season pitch invasion at the end, scared her to death, never going again
Chesterfield away lost 0-1, oatway sent off nearly pitch invasion and punch up with stewards near us, again scared her, never going again
She's got a ticket for saturday.

How could she not enjoy 3000 of us on the open terrace at Saltergate? A memory I have of the game was that someone chucked their mobile phone onto the pitch when it all got a bit lively at the end. Even in my frustration at the time I remember thinking that that has to be one of the stupidest things ever to chuck at a football match.

Locky

Oct 2, 2003
Brighton
I honestly think I prefer the fact that my missis is fairly indifferent when it comes to the footy.

Yes I can see why you might prefer that, But when at football she has her mates and I have mine, when drinking pre/post match we are rarely together until perhaps its time to stagger home :)
definately works for me :)

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Met on a blind date back in '83 = 30 years
Married in '87 = 26 years
Been through some good times and tough times - its a partnership ....
Only game she went to was play-off final in 2004 at Cardiff - footy not her thing

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Been together 23 years, married for 19 years, had our ups and downs as most do but love her to bits. Year I got married, 1994, 5 friends also got married, none are together anymore :sad:

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Been married for almost 41 years to my schoolgirl sweetheart - and she has just brought me a huge G&T and nibbles! and without me needing to ask ...

Cant be bad ... lucky me!

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Been with my only (and current) girlfriend for a year and a half now. Still no interest for football though :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here