Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How long did it take you to get out of Cardiff?

MactheRuss

May 22, 2004
Worthing
We left yellow car park at about 6.30 and finally got out of Taffyland at about 9.30 ... :(

Great turning up at Membury services for a cuppa and seeing it still overloaded with Albion fans.

Thought the Mill stadium was excellent and the parking/park and ride well organised in general. Atmosphere was great beforehand and didn't experience any silliness from Brizzle fans afterwards. Well impressed with two BCFC 12 year-olds with a flag sticking out of their 4x4 who were still singing after two hours trying to get out of Cardiff.

Had a minor mishap with one of our flags tho - it was sticking out of a window and then disappeared when we accelerated. Hope no-one got it on the windscreen!:ohmy:

ro's pants

May 24, 2004
my house
LEFT CAR PARK AT 6.30 GOT TO BRIGHTON AT FIVE TO 12 DUE TO SOME MUPPET JUMPING OUT OF THE FIRE EXIT ON BRIGHTON BY PASS CAUSE THE DRIVER WOULDN'T LET HIM GET OUT AT THE BLACK LION!:lolol:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
got home at 11.30, must've taken about 2-3 hours to get out of cardiff

WHAT A f***ing DAY THOUGH

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Caught the 18.15 to Gloucester and was back home in Gully Towers eating my supper at 20.00, reflecting on a truly marvellous day out.

The trains were excellent, by all accounts that I have heard.

The special train from Hove got us to Cardiff in just over four hours (and the same going back). No queues anywhere. The reports I got from people going back to London were that a gentle post-match stroll to the station got people on to a train without any hassle and the 125mph journey went very smoothly.

Roads, on the other hand, are always unreliable. I've never understood why people use them for events like this - when there's a far more efficient alternative available.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
I thought the way the traffic was organised was excellent, with different junctions for us & them Cars & Coaches etc.. The park & ride was effcient and getting on to the M4 after the game didnt seem to much of problem.

The Cardiff to Newport stretch of the motorway was a bit of a nightmare (two hours to get to Newport) but that I think was mainly due to there only being two lanes.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Have to agree with the comment about the trains, there was a bit of a bottleneck getting into the station and we were held outside in the street for a while, this was made all that more pleasurable as I was stood next to a female Albion fan who was a real cutie.

We were then allowed onto the station forecourt where they had put up crowd control barriers and ushered people into queues to wait for trains to different destinations, letting us into the station a few minutes before the train was due to leave. It was lucky that the sun was still shining, I wouldn't have fancied standing out there in the rain, but the Police and railway get 10 out of 10 for the way they managed it.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Lord Bracknell said:
The trains were excellent, by all accounts that I have heard.

The special train from Hove got us to Cardiff in just over four hours (and the same going back). No queues anywhere. The reports I got from people going back to London were that a gentle post-match stroll to the station got people on to a train without any hassle and the 125mph journey went very smoothly.

Roads, on the other hand, are always unreliable. I've never understood why people use them for events like this - when there's a far more efficient alternative available.

The Seagulls special was a brilliant idea. They even had a separate entrance to the platform for us so we didn't get caught up in the melee.
The stadium being close to a railway station made it easy too.

Dave In Gloucester

Oct 19, 2003
Gloucester, UK
Didn't manage to get the 17:50 to Gloucester, or the 18:15 that Gully got, so instead had to get the Newport only service and then change to get to Gloucester, which was full of Bristol fans also getting off there!!

I was probably in the wrong queue anyway!!! :dunce:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
yeah after an hour + in the queue those road upto the Beacon looked very tempting.

stuck to the M4 though and got back to home (london) at 12

i think every one went by car as we all feared a cock up with the trains... :dunce:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Arrived back in Newhaven on official coach at 11.00pm. Driver did brilliant. Used A482(?) out of Cardiff through Newport.
Thought the police and Stewards were excellent. Met police pleases note. What a marvellous day.:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Got in the car at about 7 and was home for 11.45 in north London.
Very uncomfortable journey, made worse by me losing a lit cigarette somewhere in the rental car. Due to a mix-up, we were in what looked like a big spazmobile with hip hop booming out of it.
What a day.

beorhthelm said:
i think every one went by car as we all feared a cock up with the trains... :dunce:
I think the ONLY cock-up (if you can call it that) on the special train was the fact that, thanks to the amount of tea drunk the previous night by CPFC fans, one of the buffet cars had no gas for heating water on the trip to Cardiff.

Those of us at the front end of the train had to walk to the other buffet car, meeting all sorts of Albion supporting mates as we did so.

Appalling scenes.

:lolol:

They made up for this on the way back, with fresh gas and a menu of hot food that included a choice of three curries and a range of toasted sandwiches.

Does anyone know why they reduced the price of tea to 50p as we got close to home?

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses
Row Z Creased Shirt said:
For next seasons play off final, I'll definitely go by train. :)

The roads were a nightmare. Although once over the bridge things were smooth. Back in hove by 12.30 home by 1am.

What do you mean play off final. I wa banking on getting automatic promotion :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :ascarf: :ascarf: :ascarf: :ascarf: :ascarf:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Lord Bracknell said:

They made up for this on the way back, with fresh gas and a menu of hot food that included a choice of three curries and a range of toasted sandwiches.

They didn't announce that! I thought they couldn't do tea on the way there and so didn't ask for tea on the way back either :shootself

The coffee was nice though.

PrestGull

Oct 18, 2003
We left Cardiff at 9pm to let the traffic calm down and then got back to Brighton at 11.45. Super quick journey. Also the added advantage was getting to watch the game on sky at 7.30.

Convoy of Brighton cars and coaches was superb.

What an unbelievable day

Are their any designated pubs where people are celebrating today in Brighton???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here