Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

how in the world did cms score over 30 goals the season prier to us bying him.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
It wasn't about needing support today though was it, it was about putting away chances.

He should have had 2 goals in the first 15 minutes.

What makes it worse is that a lot of the shots he takes aren't even close to being on target.

I was gutted for him today when his goal was disallowed, that might have been just thing he needed to boost his confidence.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
He had the support of their fans rather than the vocal minority of Brighton fans who have succeeded in destroying more than one striker at our club. With strikers its all about confidence and his has been wrecked.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It wasn't about needing support today though was it, it was about putting away chances.

I fully appreciate now, in the midst of the driest of all droughts, is not the time to make this point, but here goes anyway.

Coming here as a '30 goal a season, club record signing' has bought with a level of expectation that is impossible to realise.

The amount of 'should have ...' comments levelled at CMS are unwarranted.
Every striker misses, scuffs, or is thwarted by excellent 'keeping/defending.
Ronaldo and Messi miss guilt edged chances too.

I don't think Ronaldo has scored in 5 games (or something) are there threads on MadridStandChat saying get rid now?

The Leeds game was a bit of a poisoned challis, it gave us an insight as to what might have been.

All we can hope is CMS' replacement has all his attributes but with a cutting edge.
There can be little doubt Hughton's Albion plays better with CMS in the team, but that doesn't account for much when he's only scored 3 all season.

Once again, I know this is completely the wrong time to be making this point.
But it still stands even when he was on a run of goals, for some it was never good enough.

Also seeing me on this thread will have a few beating at their keyboards with their flaccid penis', for those I do get your point.
He'll be gone in the Summer, and you'll have been proven right.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
22 games is it now without scoring, disgrace by CH playing him in front of Rosie.
Should never pull on the shirt again

beakyburn

Aug 15, 2012

The first the header. A striker with confidence would have chested that one and placed it passed the keeper.
The second with the one on one he side footed instead of putting his foot through it and just blasting it past PIG.
Shame as he is a good bloke and a trier but when your confidence goes this is what happens.
Injuries of course havnt helped.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
In his Championship season with Posh, scored just 10 goals in 43 games when at his peak. In team playing attack at all costs football. Proves, I think, that he will never be a quality Championship striker, and now he's too old anyway.

In a team that got relegated.

He scored 20 in 74 Championship games in his first two seasons for us, despite it being clear to all that we were not playing to his strengths. Some of those goals were fantastic.

He was never worth the money we paid for him, but he was a decent Championship striker before his injury. Since his injury, he's not been the same. Saying that, all our strikers have been gash this season. O'Grady has a grand total of ONE goal in the league this season - from the penalty spot.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In a team that got relegated.

He scored 20 in 74 Championship games in his first two seasons for us, despite it being clear to all that we were not playing to his strengths. Some of those goals were fantastic.

He was never worth the money we paid for him, but he was a decent Championship striker before his injury. Since his injury, he's not been the same. Saying that, all our strikers have been gash this season. O'Grady has a grand total of ONE goal in the league this season - from the penalty spot.

20 goals in two season, in a team, If your read other comments on other threads today about Poyet, "that produced the best football we've ever seen". That's poor. In addition, it was the likes of Barnes who to had to make way for CMS, being pushed into midfield.

CMS had a poor Championship goal scoring record for P'boro and has had an even worse one for us. All five manager/s coaches cannot have been wrong In their systems ... CMS simply cannot adapt and Championship defenders in the main are not troubled when facing him.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
20 goals in two season, in a team, If your read other comments on other threads today about Poyet, "that produced the best football we've ever seen". That's poor. In addition, it was the likes of Barnes who to had to make way for CMS, being pushed into midfield.

CMS had a poor Championship goal scoring record for P'boro and has had an even worse one for us. All five manager/s coaches cannot have been wrong In their systems ... CMS simply cannot adapt and Championship defenders in the main are not troubled when facing him.

Strikers in Poyet's side never score loads of goals. Have a look at the goal scoring record of Sunderland's strikers over the last couple of seasons. Ulloa scored more than most because he was far more suited to playing up-front on his own, and because he's BETTER than Championship quality.

I think it was clear for all to see that we never played to Mackail-Smiths strengths during Poyet's time at the club. And it hasn't changed since he left. A decent Championship striker scores 10-15 goals a season. Mackail-Smith averaged that over two seasons (and he was injured for a large chunk of the second). A top Championship striker will score 20+. Mackail-Smith has never really looked like doing that (apart from his second season before he got injured), but he did a decent job for us. If he was our penalty taker like a lot of strikers have scored more. Again, never worth the money we paid, but he was decent for us at this level before his injury.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I know it was league 1, but all his shots are tame and strait at the keeper.
it really feels like one of the world great misteries atm.

Very good. I hereby award you an A* in GCSE English.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
He had the support of their fans rather than the vocal minority of Brighton fans who have succeeded in destroying more than one striker at our club. With strikers its all about confidence and his has been wrecked.

It's not the fans that have destroyed him, it's his managers. Gus (mainly) and Oscar (to a degree) studiously misused him. He has never once played in a system designed for his strengths and as a result his confidence has slowly ebbed away. We play a system designed for a big front man with good hold up and link play who can bully defenders and score goals from crosses. We have done pretty much since we signed Murray and that's, what, 7 years ago? His signing was a Poyet ego trip rather than a signing to suit a team and a need.

CMS has actually retained a huge amount of good faith from a fan perspective because of the fact he's clearly trying so hard and it's not coming off for him. The fans get a lot wrong but it's not their fault this time.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Strikers in Poyet's side never score loads of goals. Have a look at the goal scoring record of Sunderland's strikers over the last couple of seasons. Ulloa scored more than most because he was far more suited to playing up-front on his own, and because he's BETTER than Championship quality.

I think it was clear for all to see that we never played to Mackail-Smiths strengths during Poyet's time at the club. And it hasn't changed since he left. A decent Championship striker scores 10-15 goals a season. Mackail-Smith averaged that over two seasons (and he was injured for a large chunk of the second). A top Championship striker will score 20+. Mackail-Smith has never really looked like doing that (apart from his second season before he got injured), but he did a decent job for us. If he was our penalty taker like a lot of strikers have scored more. Again, never worth the money we paid, but he was decent for us at this level before his injury.

Murray did. Class.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

So a decent return would be 10 goals a season, for a £2.5m striker? :ffsparr: Thank christ Hughton is in charge rather than the CMS apologists. Arrivederci Craig.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
At the time Murray going and CMS coming in did not feel like a bad move given the superior goal record of CMS that season in a team further down the table. However in hindsight that has to be one of the worst transfer decisions of recent times.

I cannot fault his effort but he has an unbelievable lack of technical ability for a player who commanded that transfer fee. We can all say he has not been played in the right system but taking that aside you would not expect a signing of that magnitude having such an abysmal first touch which shows no sign of improving. That and for me he is simply not clinical enough at this level where with fine margins in games you need to be.

Can't fault the guys work ethic but for me we wave him goodbye in the summer and use the wages to try and get someone in the murray/Ulloa mould and level of technical ability

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
All those people talking about "playing to his strengths" I have a question for you.

Does that explain why he can't hit a cows arse with a banjo from 5 yards out?? Is that not a strength which should come as a part of the 10 grand a week package?

Last edited:

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Murray did. Class.

Murray never played for us in the Championship. That is the discussion at hand. Besides, Murray scored 22 goals in his last season with us (in the division below, which we romped) and didn't even have a 1 in 2 ratio under Poyet. Under a different manager I'm convinced he would have scored more.

So a decent return would be 10 goals a season, for a £2.5m striker? :ffsparr: Thank christ Hughton is in charge rather than the CMS apologists. Arrivederci Craig.

Evidently picking and choosing which parts of my posts to respond to. I clearly said he wasn't worth the money we paid for him. That doesn't mean at the time he wasn't Championship quality.

Be selective in your memory all you like. Hopefully now that we have Hughton in charge we'll actually buy players that are suited for the system we want to play, rather than buy good players and try to change their style of play to fit and play them out of position to fit into the system.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here