• Beat Palace 5-0 at the weekend, but fail to qualify for Europe

Votes: 55 28.9%
  • Lose to Palace 5-0, but still qualify for Europe

Votes: 135 71.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I can't believe anyone would pass up the opportunity of Europe just to beat Palace. Its hardly the biggest rivalry in the world! If we qualified for Europe and they ended up down the bottom end of the league I wouldnt give a shit if they smashed us home and away.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Yes. Worrying isn't it!
Funnily enough - the few Palace fans I’ve got into conversation with recently are kind of vicariously loving that Brighton is facing down Big 6 teams on transfer days and beating some of them convincingly on match days - most people love the ‘David’ and loathe the ‘Goliath’ - the power at the top of the PL has been in the hands of the few for too long.

(I expect a few Brighton fans could share a celebratory drink with a few Palace fans if Citeh was League 2 Club by the end of the season 😁🍷)

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I can't believe anyone would pass up the opportunity of Europe just to beat Palace. Its hardly the biggest rivalry in the world! If we qualified for Europe and they ended up down the bottom end of the league I wouldnt give a shit if they smashed us home and away.
It's the biggest rivalry in my world.

Europe would be incredible, but it would be significantly lessened, by them having the bragging rights in our best ever season.
It's a bit of a silly hypothetical, if we were to lose 5-0 to the current Palace side, we would probably be unlikely to make Europe anyway,

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I like having a rivalry with Palace. The way it started has probably lost its relevance (half the Amex crowd wasn't even born in the days of Challis, Venables and Mullery) and there has been no long standing rivalry between Brighton and, say, Croydon - so you can't say its a rivalry that transcends football.
But let's be honest, nothing hurt more in the past 15 years than that play-off defeat. It wasn't just a play-off defeat, it was a play-off defeat to them. The Boro/Sheff Wed disappointments 2 years later were nowhere near as bad IMO.
They jokingly gave "notice" to us as rivals in our dark times yet when we clawed our way back, they lapped up the 5-0 and other favorable results. In the 00s, they'd get an average gate of 15k, 16k for Millwall but 20-23k for Albion games. So rivals of ours, they most definitely are.

The boot is on the other foot now. We're going in different directions as it was obvious to some of us that we would. One club has a brand new 30k stadium, state of the art training facilities, has a player who ran the world cup final for an hour, is challenging for Europe, is 4th favs for the FA Cup and has a top flight woman's team. The other is run by spivs, getting by only by filling their side with big 6 loan players, is looking at a relegation battle, and can't even build a new stand.

Let them feel this rivalry more than us for a change.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
My personal preference is that the rearranged game can only be squeezed in as the penultimate game of the season.

Which we win comfortably, securing European football and relegating Palace.
Can we have that option please?

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Do you remember just before the rivalry sparked off.
Under Peter Taylor Mk1 we played Palace on the opening day ( think it was 75/76 ) and 26,000 rocked up to the Goldstone. I think Ian Mellor got the only goal. Huge number of Palace there that day.
I do. A glorious August day and great crowd. Mellor, Binney and I believe Joe Kinnear and Phil Beal from Spurs all on their debuts? The last two didn't last long with us and nor did Binney with the emergence of Peter Ward. We didn't play well perhaps unsurprisingly with so many changes but good old Spider with a snaking run and the only goal. Great day out and the seeds of an upturn in our fortunes.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Palace? Just a secondary concern this season.

For now, it's all about a European push with a possible Wembley appearance or 2 in the FA Cup.

They'll still be hanging around after we've finished the ride.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Beat Palace 5-0 at the weekend and qualify for Europe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here