Votes: 55 28.9%
  • Lose to Palace 5-0, but still qualify for Europe

Votes: 135 71.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I don't know if youre old enough to remember when, via the Palace fanzine, they issued notice to cease the rivalry because, quote, they'd moved on and we (ie Brighton) would never get up to their level again?

Angel dust/delusion whatever, we will always live in each others heads to a degree rent free.:)

That is why the rivalry must continue until either one of the clubs ceases to exist, and clearly given from the depths of where we came back from its not going to be us.:bloom:

FWIW we will win 2-0 and still qualify for europe.
I can also remember a thread on this very site that read “ Have we got bigger fish to fry than Palace” there are always who don’t really get the rivalry ( I must admit I don’t really care that much if I am honest ) but it’s good to have a couple of games a season with a bit of edge.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Beat Palace. You have to be careful what you wish for with Europe. Our squad isn't ready IMO. Yet.

Smashing Palace and finishing 8th would suit me if I'm being honest.
Indeed that would be great, but...

It's like having children mate You're never ready for it! :)
Not only that, but it'd be a lot easier to keep hold of the good players we have, and bring in more, if we're in Europe.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Before we get all billy big bollox, let's not forget Palace stuck by us for years when we were two division below and utter gubbins and still welcomed us with full hatred when we got our act together. We have finished above them ONCE in 30 years. Let's revel in superiority as long as it may last, and make sure we always retain plenty of fire for this fixture. My 13 year old is making his first visit to Selhurst Saturday and he is already feeling the trepidation that only this fixture creates.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Before we get all billy big bollox, let's not forget Palace stuck by us for years when we were two division below and utter gubbins and still welcomed us with full hatred when we got our act together. We have finished above them ONCE in 30 years.
Finished about them in 2012 and 2013, and then last year.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
2013 they beat us in the Play Offs so that definitely didnt count!
We still finished above them, but what's your reason for cancelling 2012?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Obviously I'd choose Europe out of the options.

That said, It always irked me that Potter never seemed to understand - or even try to understand - the rivalry between us and Palace and certainly never made any apologies for not beating them. Getting beat in THAT game in lockdown when we had 700 shots on target and they had 2 was just plain awful. De Zerbi is fast reaching legendary status but running the length of the touchline when we score against Palace and giving it to the school kids in black after a beating would increase him to Idol status.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Thanks for the offer, but I find it difficult to believe that either will happen. Palace are not in the mess that we were in when they did us by 5 at Selhurst. They are a well drilled team. Even if we manage to finally break the hoodoo of whichever one of us being expected to win coming down to earth with a bump, they wouldn't collapse, pick up reds and let us run riot. Vieira would just shut up shop and take the defeat and a bit of pride.

Enjoy the crest of a wave in the league too. Our squad is very exciting, but young (11 of the 24 are aged 23 or under) fairly inexperienced (10 of the 24 in their first EPL season) and small in numbers (We named a squad of 19 over 21s in September and that included Trossard and Mwepu). There is half a season to go, we are not going to have the element of surprise and have still to play a game against 6 of the 7 big monied teams, plus Fulham and Brentford who have both beaten us this season. Even from our current position, making seventh or higher would be an absolutely astonishing achievement for a club being run on our budget.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
'Would be quite nice'

Are you serious?

From The Goldstone to Yerevan, Baku and Bucharest via Gillingham and The Withdean - what a journey.

Far, far better than a one off win against them - which happens quite frequently anyway now.
Happens quite frequently? My abiding memory of Potter is not winning against them. Say what you like about Chris Hughton he had a good record against them. I think!

Yes I am serious. I never dreamed of seeing the Albion in europe and to be quite honest I still struggle to imagine it. Sorry.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I would hate to lose to them 5-0 again, I’m still not over the last time.

When we won at Selhurst and McShane scored, we then lost to them a few weeks later at Withdean - took some of the shine off it.

I finally got over the 5-0 walking out of Selhurst after Murray and AK scored and we won 2-1

6 points from them that season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here