How have Brighton paid for the new stadium and academy ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Moving threads into "the other stuff" unless needed brings NSC down to the level of other football message board forums who sanitise anything that can be upsetting for their posters.

Nobody has reported the OP. TMLS reported [MENTION=1721]Mr Putdown[/MENTION] (who apparently joined NSC in Jan 2004??)
Before that, if I recall correctly. Way, way back in the early days at Withdean, wasn't he one of the group of NSC members who sponsored an Albion game or two?

Bozza will be too new to remember. Maybe [MENTION=8]ManxSeagull[/MENTION] can throw some light on this?

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
It seems to me that everything is rosey and should stay so.

After all, what's the worst that could happen?

Tony Bloom's investments wherever /whatever they are go tits up and he wants out of the club with whatever money he can get?

He can sell it as a going championship club with around 20 thousand season ticket holders. Probably other money men/speculators out there who may give him a few tens of millions for it.

Or no one offers him enough and he sells off whatever assets the club has, maybe a few million for some players and maybe the training centre at shoreham - that's if he owns that land, don't know if he does - which has planning permission so could build houses on it and so could bring in a few more million.

But he can't sell the amex stadium as the land it stands on is owned by the council. So there will never be permission for anything on that land other than a stadium.

And the only viable team ever likely to fill the stadium is the Albion.

And even if it all goes tits up on and off the pitch and administrators are called in to wind up the club Glasgow rangers/Portsmouth style, the club will be reborn and survive at some level, even if it means having local derbies for a few years in the amex against Lewes and Eastbourne borough and Crawley.

So if that's the very worst that can happen, just smell the roses.

I would be very very surprised if that was the case even more so as the land was originally partly Brighton / partly Lewes.

I seem to remember reading (on here) that the ownership of the stadium had been transferred to a trust hence the stadium would always be separate from the Football Club.

Would be interested to hear from anyone else who has more than my limited knowledge.

PS have trawled the thread AND done a search to no avail !

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Before that, if I recall correctly. Way, way back in the early days at Withdean, wasn't he one of the group of NSC members who sponsored an Albion game or two?

Bozza will be too new to remember. Maybe [MENTION=8]ManxSeagull[/MENTION] can throw some light on this?

Big f***ing deal. He's a wind up merchant in 2013.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Nobody has reported the OP. TMLS reported [MENTION=1721]Mr Putdown[/MENTION] (who apparently joined NSC in Jan 2004??)

I didn't report it because I thought there was a ban on Palace fans starting threads that descend into wind-ups.

This thread has descended into the usual trolling bollocks so why don't you do your job?

Or are you telling me that you don't have the wit to be able to spot what this thread has become and you need someone to report it?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I didn't report it because I thought there was a ban on Palace fans starting threads that descend into wind-ups.

This thread has descended into the usual trolling bollocks so why don't you do your job?

Or are you telling me that you don't have the wit to be able to spot what this thread has become and you need someone to report it?

It started off a perfectly good thread, despite being started by a Palace supporter.

Yes, perhaps, Mr Putdown led us off the track a bit, but it is not a thread without its merits. IMHO.

Do we really need to sterilize the Big Board to that extent? I hope not.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

Yes that's me. I spent plenty of hours doing my best to help ensure that my teams rivals survived when the chips were down. Fans Reunited, writing in support of Falmer, being one of the NSC to club together and sponsor that game.

Now times have moved on and you're financially secure, i'm a troll on here apparently.

Nice.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Yes that's me. I spent plenty of hours doing my best to help ensure that my teams rivals survived when the chips were down. Fans Reunited, writing in support of Falmer, being one of the NSC to club together and sponsor that game.

Now times have moved on and you're financially secure, i'm a troll on here apparently.

Nice.

As has been shown on here with talk of Bellotti's past, a previous history of being a good bloke is no prevention from becoming an arsehole.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
As has been shown on here with talk of Bellotti's past, a previous history of being a good bloke is no prevention from becoming an arsehole.

Even nicer.

Any chance in pointing out where exactly I was trolling?

(Comparing me to Bellotti is so below the belt, I can only guess you weren't even there.)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I would be very very surprised if that was the case even more so as the land was originally partly Brighton / partly Lewes.

I seem to remember reading (on here) that the ownership of the stadium had been transferred to a trust hence the stadium would always be separate from the Football Club.

Would be interested to hear from anyone else who has more than my limited knowledge.

PS have trawled the thread AND done a search to no avail !

It's not uncommon for one authority to own land in another, especially if, for example, boundaries change.

If the memory of my fireside radio chats with Martin Perry serve me correctly, I believe the majority of the land is owned by Brighton & Hove City Council, and is leased to the club. Some land the club bought from University of Brighton, the Bennett's Field Car Park is owned by the Bennett Family.

Also, the stadium company is separate from the football club, though is part of the same group of companies, and was set up by... Bill Archer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Would we though?

I was going to put this specific question on a separate thread but couldn't quite jumble the words into the right order.

Say Tony was a 'billionaire' having already built the stadium, training facility, funded the team, and paid for us all to travel around Sussex, would we still expect him to sign players like he was a middle-eastern Crown Prince.
That last comment was tongue in cheek...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I was told that Palace fans aren't allowed to start wind-up threads. Everyone could see how this was going to turn out and still Titanic et al chose and still choose not to follow their own instructions.

So now, he's set a precedent for future wind-up threads. Palace fans get your mate to start it off all innocently, play nicely and be self-deprecating and then let some other Troll do the winding-up. And even then Titanic won't do anything about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports