Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How HAPPY are you with this transfer window?

How HAPPY are you with this transfer window?

• Total voters

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Mission complete - the hilariously bloated squad is now on a sane level which should help everyone at the club - training sessions will be more normal, each player can get more individual coaching, not a lot of unhappy faces lurking around, Tony Bloom probably wont have to take £66m out of his wallet to cover deficits... lots of problems have been solved.

Happy with the signings and (even more so) keeping Bissouma, never thought it would happen.

Would have liked to see another attacking player of some sort but more out of luxuary than necessity, no one important has left.

Verdict: not very exciting but pretty good.

Decent summary. Agree with all of that, but scored it a 7, as keeping hold of Bissouma was so hugely important. I really can't believe he's still here. The people in charge of recruitment at Liverpool and Man City are idiots.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Presumably the strikers are in order of preference

Welbeck
Maupay
Connolly

Locardia isn't mentioned on the BHA website in the squad of 24, so presumably won't be taking part.

How many defences are quaking at the prospect?

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Can’t speak for the players character as I do not know him (although the Albion do take these things into account and when scouting) but this one was reported as our offers being less than Benficas valuation. That is fine if that is the case and we miss out. We are all guessing here but my own personal view is we get amazing value when shopping for CBs and midfielders but buying strikers is a very different market and much harder to get value and even the expensive ones are punts. We are always linked with solid prospects but never get them over the line which could be a symptom of what we are prepared to pay for someone in that area of the pitch.

The good news is our financial sustainability will be in a healthier position following this summer but by view is our striking options make a top ten finish a pipe dream and mid table obscurity with this squad would be a great achievement by GP.

Yeah you're absolutely right buying strikers is a completely different game to buying centrebacks and midfielders. On other posts its been discussed that although our strategy is good for defenders and midfielders, that maybe we need a different approach to strikers. I think there's definitely an argument for that. But its also worth remembering the club do repeatedly say that transfers are becoming more difficult to complete. If you've ever watched "Sunderland till I die" on netflix, and you think about how they got held to ransom over Will Grigg, I'm sure that the transfer process is never as straight forward as we the fans think it is. Some clubs will cave and pay over the odds for players, but I have the impression that we're not one of those clubs.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
How happy is GP with it would be the key question for me.

Chaileyjem cites reports of Potter being "happy' to add Locadia to the 25 if he doesn't get a move to Turkey.

Happy, really? Is Potter the ultimate happy clapper!

Personally, I think he's being let down...... How can the club expect a better finish than last season with the same strike force minus Zeqiri and Andone?

And if/when someone else shows serious interest in his talents, we will only have ourselves to blame if he takes it.

He's not a miracle worker, nor has a magic wand, nor is being given the tools to improve/get to top 10

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Our most important objective for the future is keeping Potter.

He has done incredibly well with limited striker options.

Losing him would put us very likely to go down with this squad.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Everything went well with the window, except the striker outcome.

I am amazed that we let all of Zeqiri, Andone, Sima, Longman and Tau go without bringing in a stopgap loan striker for a year if we couldn't fully sign our main targets.

If Locadia stays that is mitigated but I fear we now see the Turkish coin.

Keep Jurgen until January please.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Chaileyjem cites reports of Potter being "happy' to add Locadia to the 25 if he doesn't get a move to Turkey.

Personally, I think he's being let down...... How can the club expect a better finish than last season with the same strike force minus Zeqiri and Andone?

And if/when someone else shows serious interest in his talents, we will only have ourselves to blame if he takes it.

He's not a miracle worker, nor has a magic wand, nor is being given the tools to improve/get to top 10

Good summary and to think that Loco might get anywhere near the first team squad is scary! I think his contract will be cancelled anyhow (Naylor hinted at that)

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
You can dress it up in lots of different ways the fact is we have not been able to strengthen the one area that has drastically needed strengthening in 5 season with either poor signings or the inability to sign anyone to add competition to the current squad.

I would say only Welbeck is really any better than what we had when we got promoted with and he's on a 1 year deal and is made of tissue. Maupay still needs to have a good season to prove otherwise.

Lets hope they come good or we see more goals from other areas however its a massive risk.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Same as I said at the beginning of last season and that was goal scoring will be a problem.
No new striker and that concerns me.
Nevertheless, a good clear out and getting zillions for White was a good bit of business. However, if we don’t stay in the Prem due to a lack of goals, then the strategy of spending dosh on promising players and loaning them rather than landing a ‘ proven’ goal scorer( easier said than done)may be questionable.
Yes, the club are thinking long term, but the main priority must surely be to stay in the Prem, first and foremost.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Only losing White from our first XI puts it on a 6 straight off the bat.

We should also remember that we have a very young squad, all of whom have improved under GP. Coupled with some new signings, feeling a solid 8 for this window. An additional striker would have been up at 9 or 10 but not sure if anyone’s noticed - they don’t grow on trees.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007

Graham seems the last person who would come out and express his displeasure so anything he says in public will be measured to say the least. I just hope he is genuinely ok with our business as he is vital to the 'project' imvho. I am sure he will understand the constraints and he would definitely only want the 'right' player brought in and maybe that was not available this time. But yeah, it is frustrating and he is only human.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Decent summary. Agree with all of that, but scored it a 7, as keeping hold of Bissouma was so hugely important. I really can't believe he's still here. The people in charge of recruitment at Liverpool and Man City are idiots.

Man Utd the biggest culprits here.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Remind me, just how many goals did Andone and Zeqiri contribute last season that we will be missing this season?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It was a transfer window for the future, not this season. We have enough in the bag

We should also remember that we have a very young squad, all of whom have improved under GP. Coupled with some new signings, feeling a solid 8 for this window. An additional striker would have been up at 9 or 10 but not sure if anyone’s noticed - they don’t grow on trees.
Agree with both of these, but I think I might have ticked '7' after dithering between 7 and 8.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

You missed the game against Everton then. Men against boys, 2nd best all over the pitch

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Man Utd the biggest culprits here.

He would undoubtedly improve United as well, but I think I'd be more annoyed as a fan of either of the other two.

United have after all committed an enormous sum of money this window, on the signing of Sancho, plus the combined wages of him, Varane and Ronaldo. They couldn't afford another £50m on top of that spending, and will feel that with their ridiculous attacking strengths, a midfield two from Pogba, McTominay and Fred, will have to do.

Liverpool have signed nobody, and have failed to replace Wijnaldum who was very important in their set up. Bissouma would have been perfect.

City know they need to replace / upgrade the aging and waning Fernandinho, and had plenty of cash available.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Remind me, just how many goals did Andone and Zeqiri contribute last season that we will be missing this season?

I get your point, but Andone was injured and Zeqiri never really given the chance as a CF, more a LWB. It's depth, not just goals.....one of the two departed may well come into decent form, one or more of the 3 remaining may lose form or get badly injured, the loss of depth is pretty significant.

Personally, I'd be happy even to keep Locadia or play youth, simply to field in the League cup, early FA cup rounds as we cannot really afford to gamble the other 3.

Any loss of form or injuries to Maupay/Welbeck as we all hope for an upturn with Connolly....will be bad.

We are certainly no better off, with less options.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
You missed the game against Everton then. Men against boys, 2nd best all over the pitch

Apart from up to their first goal the game was even, neither side taking control. Then straight after we would have had a great chance to score only for the ref stopped play, incorrectly not playing advantage. Second half we where better until the penalty. After that I agree Everton easily contained us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here