Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you pronounce Amex?

Jul 26, 2004
Next Door
Variously pronounced 'Yurp' or 'Your Rope'

The Amex business is split 2 ways.

Domestic = USA
International = everywhere else

Domestic has no concept of International. It might as well be on a different planet.

And I would rather deal with colleagues in India any day of the week than the clueless twats who populate their offices in Phoenix. The Indians are a bit dim but you can either tolerate or laugh at them, the Yanks just leave you speechless.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
The Amex business is split 2 ways.

Domestic = USA
International = everywhere else

Domestic has no concept of International. It might as well be on a different planet.

And I would rather deal with colleagues in India any day of the week than the clueless twats who populate their offices in Phoenix. The Indians are a bit dim but you can either tolerate or laugh at them, the Yanks just leave you speechless.

I definitely agree although I'm still a firm believer that people are essentially the same wherever in the world you go; it's just the society that differs. Ergo, it's not Americans that are stupid, but American society. Plenty of Americans are incredible people - many of the cleverest comedians and thinkers etc. were/are Yanks: Lenny Bruce, Bill Hicks and Noam Chomsky to name 3 obvious examples - it's just that they're in a tiny minority. At the same time, I don't think the English can really claim a huge level of sophistication in the majority of the population.

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
According to my bro, it's AmEx anyway, so how do you pronounce that.
Am Ex anybody as opposed to A Mex ?

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Sorry I could be misunderstanding something here and DO forgive my ignorance (I really haven't been keeping up to be honest) but is this not because American Express have paid for the naming rights or whatever so Albion are under contract to call it that instead of just the Community Stadium or Falmer?

My point in the earlier post, and it is not really an issue, is that by me calling it the Amex I am unconsciously advertising a brand I don't and would not want to use. I don't ask someone to pass me a Kleenex I ask for a tissue. I pay by credit card and not Visa or whatever, although Coke would be an exception.

Do you do the Hoovering or use a Jacuzzi or Sellotape?

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
Yes but what I mean is certain products are generally referred to by their brand names, which, yes, you are right, is advertising, because they were the first of their kind or named after their inventors, Jaccuzi for example. People will always say I am going to hoover the lounge as opposed to Dyson it. I wonder if the new stadium was called the American Express Goldstone Stadium, people would call it the Amex

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
I definitely agree although I'm still a firm believer that people are essentially the same wherever in the world you go; it's just the society that differs. Ergo, it's not Americans that are stupid, but American society. Plenty of Americans are incredible people - many of the cleverest comedians and thinkers etc. were/are Yanks: Lenny Bruce, Bill Hicks and Noam Chomsky to name 3 obvious examples - it's just that they're in a tiny minority. At the same time, I don't think the English can really claim a huge level of sophistication in the majority of the population.

I should really add that this isn't a dig at us either: I don't think any country can honestly claim huge level of sophistication in the majority of the population.

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
So we've been there a while now, lots of commentaries etc. What are people saying?

Sure I've heard lots of Aymex!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here