GoldWithAm ex
GoldWithAim x
GoldWithFalmer:drama:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Dont worry yourself with how to pronounce amex, just keep practising the world 'Falmer' and you wont go far wrong.

Nobody at the club calls it Falmer. They won't call it Falmer on the TV, or in any stadium announcements or website news etc... it is and will be called The AMEX or The American Express Community Stadium (AmECS).

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
Nobody at the club calls it Falmer. They won't call it Falmer on the TV, or in any stadium announcements or website news etc... it is and will be called The AMEX or The American Express Community Stadium (AmECS).

Sorry I could be misunderstanding something here and DO forgive my ignorance (I really haven't been keeping up to be honest) but is this not because American Express have paid for the naming rights or whatever so Albion are under contract to call it that instead of just the Community Stadium or Falmer?

My point in the earlier post, and it is not really an issue, is that by me calling it the Amex I am unconsciously advertising a brand I don't and would not want to use. I don't ask someone to pass me a Kleenex I ask for a tissue. I pay by credit card and not Visa or whatever, although Coke would be an exception.

To put this in context I don't think you would find Reuters or AFP calling the Premier League the Barclaycard Premiership or the League Cup the Carling Cup or whatever as those news wires have no financial interest, like Sky have with Barclays.

Like I said, I would have got it all wrong so I'll shut up there.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Sorry I could be misunderstanding something here and DO forgive my ignorance (I really haven't been keeping up to be honest) but is this not because American Express have paid for the naming rights or whatever so Albion are under contract to call it that instead of just the Community Stadium or Falmer?

My point in the earlier post, and it is not really an issue, is that by me calling it the Amex I am unconsciously advertising a brand I don't and would not want to use. I don't ask someone to pass me a Kleenex I ask for a tissue. I pay by credit card and not Visa or whatever, although Coke would be an exception.

To put this in context I don't think you would find Reuters or AFP calling the Premier League the Barclaycard Premiership or the League Cup the Carling Cup or whatever as those news wires have no financial interest, like Sky have with Barclays.

Like I said, I would have got it all wrong so I'll shut up there.

I don't think you have anything wrong... but 99% of people will call it The Amex.

If you like feeling special by refusing to do so, then good luck to you.

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
To be honest I will probably end up calling it that I just don't like all this naming rights bollocks. I know it is unavoidable with all these major greedhead companies splashing the cash around but don't you think it is so, well, Major League Baseball. I notice a lot of people saying they would rather have a replica shirt without the sponsor's log for same reasons I guess. Then again maybe I am just an old fart

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
99% ? where did you find these stats?

I made it up. After a few weeks, is it really going to be any other way?

Anyway, it's not really important, is it? I will called it the AmECS. What other people do is clearly up to them.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
A Mex.
Easy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here