Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How do we replace BDB?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Key question is do we loan out Roberts. It's close but I'd say yes, as it gives him the chance to accumulate experience.
I'm comfortable with having just 4 CBs, because we've only got 16 more PL games, and we're pretty much safe now already.
GP of late has preferred playing a back four.
Over the summer, I'd probably look to move on Duffy (unless we get a silly bid for Webster), and bring Clarke and one of Ostigard or van Hecke into the first team squad. Then prioritise signing a RB and a Tross-a-like type wide forward, the latter pretty much for playing some part in most games.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Key question is do we loan out Roberts. It's close but I'd say yes, as it gives him the chance to accumulate experience.
I'm comfortable with having just 4 CBs, because we've only got 16 more PL games, and we're pretty much safe now already.
GP of late has preferred playing a back four.
Over the summer, I'd probably look to move on Duffy (unless we get a silly bid for Webster), and bring Clarke and one of Ostigard or van Hecke into the first team squad. Then prioritise signing a RB and a Tross-a-like type wide forward, the latter pretty much for playing some part in most games.

If we want Clarke in the 1st team squad long term, we bring him in now surely?

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I can't actually see us bringing Clarke back now or ever tbh.
I suspect he'll be sold to a Championship side in the Summer.

Would have thought Roberts will now stay until the end of the season. Then decision to either keep him in squad or loan out to Championship for next season at that point.

Van Hecke may come back to us for next season, seems to be progressing well at Blackburn.

Would expect to see Duffy also leave in the Summer, but new contracts for Webster and Veltman (hopefully) to tie them down for a few more years.

Then maybe one new CB coming in if required.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Why?
If he stays where he is, he'll be in a fight for the play offs, and might even play in them. If he comes back to us, he'll likely stay on the bench for most games. We've got 16 PL games left, and 4 excellent CBs, none of which are now injured. I'd rather he stayed at West Brom, in full knowledge that there's a little bit of a gamble that we might need to rely on Turns or, for instance, Moder or Cucurella filling in at CB.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Why?
If he stays where he is, he'll be in a fight for the play offs, and might even play in them. If he comes back to us, he'll likely stay on the bench for most games. We've got 16 PL games left, and 4 excellent CBs, none of which are now injured. I'd rather he stayed at West Brom, in full knowledge that there's a little bit of a gamble that we might need to rely on Turns or, for instance, Moder or Cucurella filling in at CB.

I think that’s an optimistic view. This is the pessimistic one.

Duffy seems to be injured still and Dunk has not yet returned to the team. Still a couple or question marks there.

There is also still a question mark over Lamptey’s injury record, Veltman could quite easily find himself at right back for the rest of the season if things go wrong.

Webster is looking good but his injury record this season is not great.

Having the ‘fifth’ centre back in Burn gave us a lot of flexibility and options at the back, unless Roberts is ready, I do think we’re a touch light.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Why?

We are no longer a league 2 club. Potter likes to have flexibility of back 3 or 4. At the very least, we will NOT loan out Roberts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I can't actually see us bringing Clarke back now or ever tbh.
I suspect he'll be sold to a Championship side in the Summer.

Would have thought Roberts will now stay until the end of the season. Then decision to either keep him in squad or loan out to Championship for next season at that point.

Van Hecke may come back to us for next season, seems to be progressing well at Blackburn.

Would expect to see Duffy also leave in the Summer, but new contracts for Webster and Veltman (hopefully) to tie them down for a few more years.

Then maybe one new CB coming in if required.

Webster is already under contract until 2026 !!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I have no idea.
But I know it's going to be tricky because he gave us something very different.
He is 11 foot 30 inches for starters, I liked his presence in both boxes, I liked his ability to get from box to box and I liked his no nonsense tough approach to his play ( typical geordie) he gave everything too.
Prone to a mistake or two but he fitted in well with our other defenders and our style of play.
Ok so he can go home, he can earn a lot of money and he has probably done the right thing for himself but I can't help thinking that in the long run he has made a mistake.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I have no idea.
But I know it's going to be tricky because he gave us something very different.
He is 11 foot 30 inches for starters, I liked his presence in both boxes, I liked his ability to get from box to box and I liked his no nonsense tough approach to his play ( typical geordie) he gave everything too.
Prone to a mistake or two but he fitted in well with our other defenders and our style of play.
Ok so he can go home, he can earn a lot of money and he has probably done the right thing for himself but I can't help thinking that in the long run he has made a mistake.

This.

We’ll be weaker without him no matter how you try to dress it up. There were threads on here about about whether Dunk could get back into the team when he’s fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This.

We’ll be weaker without him no matter how you try to dress it up. There were threads on here about about whether Dunk could get back into the team when he’s fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Think most agree we would have preferred him to stay and we’ll be a bit weaker without him………but it was the best deal we were ever going to get, it doesn’t significantly weaken us and it presents real opportunities for others in the squad to step up. Loved him as a player and a bit sad but it makes sense to me on many levels.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
And you think that's long enough?

Yes forgot he signed a new one at the start of season!
I suspect we believed the offers would be coming in for him, not Burn!

Well it is 4.5 more seasons so not bad.

The contracts we need to be concerned about are Bissouma, Trossard, Mac Allister ( maybe we have a secret option for a further year for Alexis ?), Veltman, Maupay and Lallana.

Obviously Welbeck needs to be offered an additional 2 year deal tomorrow.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021

The contracts we need to be concerned about are Bissouma, Trossard, Mac Allister ( maybe we have a secret option for a further year for Alexis ?), Veltman, Maupay and Lallana.

I think Biss is off,either tomorrow or in the Summer.
Would love Trossard and Mac to stay so they should definitely be getting new ones

Burn proved a much better centre back than wingback, that’s for sure. But although he’s been excellent in the last few games, I believe our other options can be equally so

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Have loved BDBs contribution over the last couple of seasons. He comes over as wholehearted and genuine and has surprised us all on a number of occasions.

Now roll forward to 5th March, where I expect the away fans will give him warm welcome. Former team mates will shake his hand and then every time he is in possession, they will force him to play the ball to the right, something he seems to struggle with, when playing at centre back.

I wish him well, but also think this was too good a deal for the club to turn down.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I hope you're right on the Mac option, because we might lose him in the summer if not.
Of those, I think Veltman and Maupay will sign new contracts. I don't think we should or will offer Lallana a new one, unless it's on a greatly decreased wage alongside combined with coaching, etc.
Almost certain Biss will go in the summer, and can't see Tross signing a new contract, so we'll have to make a decision in the summer.
How long has Duffy got?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I hope you're right on the Mac option, because we might lose him in the summer if not.
Of those, I think Veltman and Maupay will sign new contracts. I don't think we should or will offer Lallana a new one, unless it's on a greatly decreased wage alongside combined with coaching, etc.
I thought it already was structured like that?

Rover In Exile

Dec 7, 2021
As a Blackburn Rovers supporter, can I just say you can't have van Hecke back early!
We'd love to sign him permanently, but I imagine your management-team will decide that getting so much experience in the Championship is just what he needs.
I accept it's a huge step-up to the PL, but I really do think he has what it takes.
He knows when the moment is right to "get rid", but he is also comfortable on the ball, and his reading of the game is top-notch.
He's a real character too. I reckon he has a big future.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As a Blackburn Rovers supporter, can I just say you can't have van Hecke back early!
We'd love to sign him permanently, but I imagine your management-team will decide that getting so much experience in the Championship is just what he needs.
I accept it's a huge step-up to the PL, but I really do think he has what it takes.
He knows when the moment is right to "get rid", but he is also comfortable on the ball, and his reading of the game is top-notch.
He's a real character too. I reckon he has a big future.
Clarke from West Brom is more likely for a recall, I suspect.

Even more likely than that though is that Haydon Roberts stays at the albion and doesn't go out on loan himself.

I don't think Van Hecke being recalled is even on the agenda.

Best of luck for promotion. What a chance you have from here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here