Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How do we replace BDB?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
IF he were to go, don’t panic. As emphasised clearly by this thread,we have decent options.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Have you not watched the last 5 games or so... play him as a centre back and he has shone and personally i don't see Dunk or Duffy unseating him on his current form. If the club needs the money then so be it but I think it does conflict with our ambition as a top 10 team as they we certainly have played better better, faster, flowing football with him there.

It’s not a question of whether we need the money, which we don’t.

Barber emphasised last week about Dan Ashworth that if sensible interest comes in, we will let the conversation take place. Therefore it might end up being up to BDB himself whether he returns to his native North-east or stays in Sussex, where he seems happily settled.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Barber emphasised last week about Dan Ashworth that if sensible interest comes in, we will let the conversation take place. Therefore it might end up being up to BDB himself whether he returns to his native North-east or stays in Sussex, where he seems happily settled.

Which is exactly as it should be. Players come and players go, that's part and parcel of football. As well as Dan Burn is currently playing, we'll be fine without him should he decide to move on.

If Newcastle wave £10m notes in our direction l can see the player being given the option to join them if he so chooses.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
“But he hasn’t even gone yet and is probably staying!”.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...on-and-eddie-nketiah-arsenal-in-transfer-push

Perhaps?

We all hope he stays but this is a purely hypothetical thread about what we’ll do without him. There is another thread on whether he’ll leave or not if you want to discuss that.

So ………

I think Potter will want a left footer playing quite regularly in his place. There are four options.

1. Give the vastly inexperienced Roberts the minutes, probably in a back 3 with Dunk by his side.

2. Move Cucu into the back 3 with March as LWB.

3. Recall Clarke from West Brom. He is good on the ball, left footed and has played a lot of games this season.

4. Try and sign someone else (such as Senesi) this weekend.

My expectation is that we’ll play Webbo and Dunk as part of a back 4 for most of the time, with Duffy or Veltman filling in if needed. When Potter goes to 3 at the back, I think he’ll pick option 2. and move Cucu alongside Dunk. I don’t think we’ll be seeing a left footed player at LCB in a back 4 for the rest of this season.

Def never move Cucu what are you thinking !

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
If this transfer to Newcastle had been touted at any other time I'd have probably been ok with it even though I've always been Team Burn. He'll put in a shift no matter where he is asked to play and has very rarely let us down. However in the last few months we've seen Dan Burn 2.0, he's stepped up massively with the injuries to Webster, Dunk and Duffy and shown real leadership. Who would have ever thought we could go to Chelsea with none of those 3 playing and come away with a point with Dan Burn marking a £100 million striker out the game. Then he went and did it again 3 weeks later. The reaction to his two goals show how well liked he is in the squad, he'd be a big loss in my opinion.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

According to barber we were afraid to lose £50-70k on spurs tickets and that we are continuing to lose revenue.... I don't have an issue with the club selling and keeping the TB debt down or more to the point TB saying I don't want to put in anymore and the club needs to be self financing and that will mean selling players.

If DBD wants to go then it would be wrong to stand in his way given his personal connections but will be a big loss .

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Has proved his value, we have no need to sell. The club’s interests have to come first. We are on the cusp of fulfilling Tony’s top 10 dream. Why should we weaken the squad now? History beckons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
3 makes the most sense if it’s allowed. Gives Clarke half a season to show we he can do, assuming we haven’t already decided he’s off in the Summer.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
According to barber we were afraid to lose £50-70k on spurs tickets and that we are continuing to lose revenue.... I don't have an issue with the club selling and keeping the TB debt down or more to the point TB saying I don't want to put in anymore and the club needs to be self financing and that will mean selling players.

If DBD wants to go then it would be wrong to stand in his way given his personal connections but will be a big loss .
Agree - as long as he goes for our price, not Newcastle's.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Burn for Newcastle is simply a stop gap to try to stop them being relegated, he will then find himself sat at home next season sitting out his 18 month contract as Newcastle will have signed another 4 CBs with fancy names like Smithesco in the summer window.

Burn doesn't strike me as a player that doesn't mind not playing so I think he'll actually stay.

Unless TB needs a bit of loose change to play with.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Burn for Newcastle is simply a stop gap to try to stop them being relegated, he will then find himself sat at home next season sitting out his 18 month contract as Newcastle will have signed another 4 CBs with fancy names like Smithesco in the summer window.

Burn doesn't strike me as a player that doesn't mind not playing so I think he'll actually stay.

Seems unlikely gives we’ve just signed the young Pole for millions, about to sign the young Paraguayan for millions, and are linked with signing this guy from USG for millions. None of whom will actually play for us this season.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

That's a pretty fair assessment of what the future holds for Dan. However, not convinced about his attitude to bench warming. He's 29 probably has a family and this could be his chance to secure his financial future with the silly wages they might pay. I hope I'm wrong as I love his attitude and the way he's turned his form round.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
It's all about future proofing. We have a collection of CB's all at a similar age so we need to prepare for a time when they retire and we have a wealth of potential superstars waiting. Creating an opportunity to grow such a talent for our squad saves us £20m in recruitment costs or developing one that a top side wishes to purchase brings us £50m.

Players such as Ostigard, Van Hecke, Roberts, Tsoungi need to be given opportunities to develop and keeping them here/recalling them for the odd 15 minute cameos isn't the greatest plan.

I think we would continue with Dunk, Webster, Veltman & Duffy plus throw in a novice if we got stretched so thinly & add Clarke to this group in the summer but personally 4 CB's should be enough as rotation doesn't really impact them in the same way as CM's. Sanchez was given a chance and grabbed it so we shouldn't be afraid to give players a chance alongside such experienced professionals.

"You are Dan Ashworth and I claim my £5."

Exactly this. TBH, you don't have to have been a fan for a long time to know that this is the correct answer and encapsulates the "Grand Plan" perfectly - spend 9-digit figure on a top rated Academy, fill academy with young talent, use the 1st team to showcase talent, sell most of the talent, keep the rest. Equals payback.

boik

DBD? Is that Dan, Big Dan?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here