Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How different is your NSC persona from you in real life?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I am on here as I am in person - or so I like to think. As Nibble says - the intonation may not be received as intended. The people I have met from NSC have mostly been top people, and I am happy to call them friends.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I am very much who I am in real life on here. It's one of the qualities my girlfriend likes best about be, my refreshing honesty. She actually says often "you really say what you think don't you" and then gets quite emotional. I must admit to being quite proud of my maxim "it always makes sense to tell the truth" but it doesn't bring ME to tears.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
I think I'm right in saying that we've never met or, if we have, you don't know me very well if at all.

As such you're in no position to judge what I'm like away from the keyboard I'm bashing away on right now.

good lord - this is exactly the point i'm making. of course i'm in no position to judge what you're like away from the keyboard which is why i have never tried - i have only ever responded to what you post here. i'm really not sure why my perception of you (based only on your posts here) as somewhat attention seeking troubles you so much. but, then again, as i am such a well respected member of nsc i'm sure my words cut like a knife.....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
good lord - this is exactly the point i'm making. of course i'm in no position to judge what you're like away from the keyboard which is why i have never tried - i have only ever responded to what you post here. i'm really not sure why my perception of you (based only on your posts here) as somewhat attention seeking troubles you so much. but, then again, as i am such a well respected member of nsc i'm sure my words cut like a knife.....

But the entire POINT of the thread was to discuss how different (or not) your real life persona was from what you present on here. [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] described how he views his own (real life) persona, and you mocked it.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
FWIW, my NSC persona is pretty much the same as my everyday one: pedantic, nit-picking and sarcastic :)

Cant believe I didn't pick up on this the first time: those characteristics sound perfect for a lecturer in philosophy! :thumbsup:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Ha, now you're talking. I nearly became a philosophy lecturer, I was actually offered a part-time teaching post but turned it down to strike off in another direction. Sadly, I don't think threads on Frege's mathematics, Tarski's truth theory and modal logic would find many takers.

Perhaps we need a forum for those of us who don't want to be members of a forum......

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
But the entire POINT of the thread was to discuss how different (or not) your real life persona was from what you present on here. [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] described how he views his own (real life) persona, and you mocked it.

All perfectly valid points and all completely irrelevant. Quite funny that a stupid post consisting merely of representations of laughing sounds has elicited responses from three members of NSCs self appointed royalty. Can you not see why some of us (and I am by no means the most vociferous) think that the mods on here are a bit, well, special....?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I guess I started this journey trying to find myself yet on the way I became lost, journeyed through strange lands, until I came to a valley and chose to rest at the foot of an ancient tree. After what seemed like a cliché I fell into a long slumber. Dreams overwhelmed me, I saw the seas rage in fear, as rivers of fire laid waste to vast towers, I saw fists clenched in rage, stars falling to earth and then silence. I awoke to find I had arrived, at the root of the Mountains of Madness.

The rest is a tiresome history of diminishing returns, loss of palpable direction, repetition and a sad, tepid slow death by irrelevance.

Online life, imitates ‘real’ life and the ballet of endless requited sorrow wears ever on, and on...

Kosh

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
All perfectly valid points and all completely irrelevant. Quite funny that a stupid post consisting merely of representations of laughing sounds has elicited responses from three members of NSCs self appointed royalty. Can you not see why some of us (and I am by no means the most vociferous) think that the mods on here are a bit, well, special....?

I'm bored so I'll play.

1. How can something be both valid AND irrelevant? It was valid, full stop.
2. Self-appointed royalty? Who does that comprise of? People you don't like? People who post a lot? Moderators? If the latter - they are certainly neither self-appointed or royalty :shrug:
3. I know three other moderators reasonably well in REAL life. They all seem pretty rational, normal people to me. You're more than welcome to your opinion though. If its us personally that you don't like, that's fine - nobody expects you to. If its our actual moderating you find 'special', nobody is forcing you to use the site.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I guess I started this journey trying to find myself yet on the way I became lost, journeyed through strange lands, until I came to a valley and chose to rest at the foot of an ancient tree. After what seemed like a cliché I fell into a long slumber. Dreams overwhelmed me, I saw the seas rage in fear, as rivers of fire laid waste to vast towers, I saw fists clenched in rage, stars falling to earth and then silence. I awoke to find I had arrived, at the root of the Mountains of Madness.

The rest is a tiresome history of diminishing returns, loss of palpable direction, repetition and a sad, tepid slow death by irrelevance.

Online life, imitates ‘real’ life and the ballet of endless requited sorrow wears ever on, and on...

Kosh

It was either that or Travel Scrabble.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I'm taller in real life but otherwise I'm on here as myself...

opinionated (but my opinions are considered), passionate (about the things that matter to me) but, like others have admitted to, I occasionally bite my lip (well, I reply and then just click "cancel" instead of posting it because some fights just aren't worth getting into*) [and I'm a little swearier IRL].

"Arguing on NSC is like playing chess with a pigeon. At some point he will knock the pieces over, sh*t on the board and strut around like he won."

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
In the real world, where pinpricks sting for nano-seconds and women generally idle past without a glance of interest or, thankfully, feelings of threat, I am very little like the obvious muscular flange-magnet I professionally make myself seem on this site. I imagine those who've even temporarily recorded my wordage would have me as a downright beefcake, with a heartbreaking caddishness in my tales of victorious lunges for affection, my impossible not to adore physique, Rooneyesque, dragging wenches of almost any IQ level into my den of brief but thunderous loving, but in fact I am most unsimilar to that creature.
In reality I smell of a threesome of vegetable-oil-coated anachronistic beardcombs, and am about to sink into my 40s with a lust for largely being left alone unless you intend to bring me some beautiful glass models of the Chuckle Brothers or Russell Grant in mid-my-palm-reading with a shocked look in his glistening marble eye.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
unless you intend to bring me some beautiful glass models of the Chuckle Brothers or Russell Grant in mid-my-palm-reading with a shocked look in his glistening marble eye.

I saw one of these at a craft fair, but I thought "nah, no-one would appreciate it". Now, I'm kicking myself....:down:

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
I'm bored so I'll play.

1. How can something be both valid AND irrelevant? It was valid, full stop.
2. Self-appointed royalty? Who does that comprise of? People you don't like? People who post a lot? Moderators? If the latter - they are certainly neither self-appointed or royalty :shrug:
3. I know three other moderators reasonably well in REAL life. They all seem pretty rational, normal people to me. You're more than welcome to your opinion though. If its us personally that you don't like, that's fine - nobody expects you to. If its our actual moderating you find 'special', nobody is forcing you to use the site.

Specialness overload.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here