Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] How can people watch DARTS ?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I love watching the darts on tv, but I have to say I dislike watching it in person because of the crowds. I've moaned about it on darts threads before, but people bang on about being a "good laugh" and "a great p*ss up", but the last time i saw the premier league darts at the Brighton centre, it was Phil Taylor's last performance in Brighton and there was some guy dressed as Freddie Mercury who had his back to the stage while singing and dancing. He stayed like that all evening,I mean what was the point of going? When people would rather go for the fancy dress and beer than watch a sports GOAT play for the last time, something's wrong.

Its a shame because the premier league darts is amazing. There aren't many sports where you can see 10 of the best players in the world all in one night.
That was my experience too, I wouldn't go again because it's the worst place to watch the darts. If you're there to get smashed, then fine - but that's not why I went, I wanted to watch the darts and revel in the atmosphere. The darts largely seemed irrelevant which was a shame.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
They grow up playing soft tip darts in Portugal too, which is a machine that calculates your scores for you.. which was an excuse when he first went to Q school and won a tour card in 2019, not so much 3/4 years later.

Great player on his day though.
He is a fantastic player, a real threat on his day. If he was better on his doubles he would be a real contender, same issue with Peter Wright about 5 years ago. I think De Sousa is a great shout for a future World Champion but there's a lot of work to be done on his finishing before then. No issues at all with open scoring, he's as good as anybody else but in the key moments he leaves himself difficult finishes too often. For example, he could have left himself 68 the other day had he switched but he ended up leaving 69 which is a more awkward finish although also being a 2 darter. It's little things like that which make a difference at the very top.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
He is a fantastic player, a real threat on his day. If he was better on his doubles he would be a real contender, same issue with Peter Wright about 5 years ago. I think De Sousa is a great shout for a future World Champion but there's a lot of work to be done on his finishing before then. No issues at all with open scoring, he's as good as anybody else but in the key moments he leaves himself difficult finishes too often. For example, he could have left himself 68 the other day had he switched but he ended up leaving 69 which is a more awkward finish although also being a 2 darter. It's little things like that which make a difference at the very top.
To quote Wayne Mardles favourite saying..

“Poor board management” :lolol:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
To quote Wayne Mardles favourite saying..

“Poor board management” :lolol:
That is exactly what it is. He's the sort of bloke that with 228 required he'd throw 20, 20 and stay there for another 20 to leave 168 - rather than switch to the 18s to leave 170 or 144 if you nudge into the treble. Those little things make all the difference at the business end of the leg and there are some players who are smart and then there are others who just aren't. De Sousa doesn't need great intelligence against the majority of the field but it'll get him found out.

Martin Schindler's probably a year away from winning that classic with Michael Smith last night, he just didn't quite have the ruthlessness or the cool to get it finished.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But Jocky had a song about him
I once played a game against Jocky Wilson. Would have been mid 90's. It was actually quite tragic in retrospect. The poor lad was reduced to travelling round pub circuits with his manager, taking on all comers for peanuts. I played him at my local of the time, The Flying Goose in Fleet, Hampshire. Both of us were pissed as farts. At one point Jocky scored the dreaded 26. Sensing an upset, I confidently swaggered / staggered up to the oche. And scored 25. Sake! :ffsparr:

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
:lolol:

"All day"? Even my mental, energetic spaniel cross is knackered after about three hours. Otherwise quite similar in that a long dog walk at the weekend can really just be an excuse to go to the pub afterwards :)
:smile:
We have a list of various countryside dog walks that seem to start or end with a pub lunch.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Extraordinary match. Just brilliant. Even @Easy 10 would have enjoyed that.

Got to feel for Smith missing five match darts.
So good!
Glad they showed eachother mutual respect at the end. They both deserved it.

Was only 3 sets ago van Duijvenbode was mimicking Smith’s celebration with the cameras quite clearly picking up Smith calling him a ‘f***ing bellend’.

Game of the tournament for sure.

Van Gerwen awaits though.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
DVD and Ross Smith are forming quite a rivalry, all friendly at the moment, but the way they're both going it's going to get hotter and hotter. Rob Cross against the forever also-ran Mervyn King now, Cross is looking really comfortable right now. Hitting trebles each throw and not fannying around on the doubles.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I’d argue the complete opposite.

Taylor retiring has made it so much more competitive & unpredictable. 5 winners in the past 7 years is much better than Taylor winning it 8 years in a row. With some really good young players coming through that should carry on too.

Unless Josh Rock keeps progressing at the rate he is and then he’ll just dominate the sport instead.
I take your point but Taylor was the GOAT, darts perfection and it was entertaining to see him take on - and destroy - everyone he faced for the best part of 30 years. For me, the dedication, the attitude, the ruthlessness of the man was truly inspirational. We may never see his like again.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I love watching the darts on tv, but I have to say I dislike watching it in person because of the crowds. I've moaned about it on darts threads before, but people bang on about being a "good laugh" and "a great p*ss up", but the last time i saw the premier league darts at the Brighton centre, it was Phil Taylor's last performance in Brighton and there was some guy dressed as Freddie Mercury who had his back to the stage while singing and dancing. He stayed like that all evening,I mean what was the point of going? When people would rather go for the fancy dress and beer than watch a sports GOAT play for the last time, something's wrong.

Its a shame because the premier league darts is amazing. There aren't many sports where you can see 10 of the best players in the world all in one night.
Definitely this. Think I went to that same event…..it was ok as a one-off thing to do but it’s much better on the telly. Was always a major TV event in our house when I was a kid (days of Lowe, Bristow, Rees etc). Used to play in various pub teams from a fairly young age (my dad ran a team so I was regularly hooked in when they were short). When we first moved to Sussex I started playing for a pub in Burgess Hill. Bloody marvellous fun - turn up at 7, drink loads, start playing about 9 usually, have food laid on. Still got a board at home and play often, but not in pubs any more.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Extraordinary match. Just brilliant. Even @Easy 10 would have enjoyed that.

Got to feel for Smith missing five match darts.
Hmmm...sorry. You'd not be getting an early payout on that one.

I still maintain that if darts had the same rule as football (ie NO alcohol within sight of the dartboard), then I don't care who is playing - the Ally Pally would be emptier than a remote barn in Barrow hosting 'an evening with Stephen Mulhern' tribute act.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I still maintain that if darts had the same rule as football (ie NO alcohol within sight of the dartboard), then I don't care who is playing - the Ally Pally would be emptier than a remote barn in Barrow hosting 'an evening with Stephen Mulhern' tribute act.
I know at least one person who watches darts at home, alone, while sober.
But then he also watches NRL matches "if it happens to be on while I'm around in the morning". I've just had a think and genuinely can't think of a sport he's not interested in. The weirdo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here