Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] How can people watch DARTS ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I genuinely don't get it.

I can watch most sports on TV and get something from it, but darts ? f*** me. I'd rather watch Emmerdale repeats on a loop, and believe me, thats saying something. I cannot think of a DULLER sport to sit down in front of, except perhaps horseracing without having a bet on. Yet every year, people are falling over themselves to watch this drek. OK, if you go to watch it live I do get that its basically an all-day pub piss up with something going on to watch. But I guarantee, if the Ally Pally was as dry as Qatar, they'd be playing to an empty hall.

Tell me I'm wrong. Go on.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
If you don't get it then you can't be helped and just leave it for those of us who do and who enjoy the drama of a World Championship match. Jose De Sousa fought back from 3-0 down to win 4-3 earlier in one of the matches of the year - if that's not something you can enjoy then there's nothing for me to say to you.

I also love a good Snooker match, it's such a different vibe but there's real sporting drama and tension in a competitive, top level match.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I watched it the first(?) year it was broadcast on the tele about 40 years ago. John Lowe and Eric Bristow and all that - there wasn't a lot of choice on tele back then, only three or four channels, and it was a bit of a novelty. Since that one time though, never.

....and as for the idea of paying good money to sit in that baying mob and watch it at a distance where you can barely see the board, let alone what has been scored - absolutely no way Jose!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Golf is boring as shite as well.
I watch golf in the same way I watch those BBC4 shows of a camera stuck on a canal boat or the like, something long and quiet to induce a Sunday afternoon nap when required.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Snooker and golf I can watch all day, particularly the majors with a little e/w wager. But watching some tattooed bloater chucking little arrows at a board...wow, that gets really old, really quick for me.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I went to see some darts at the Brighton Centre a few years back. A friend had booked a table and somebody had dropped out so it was a freebie.

It was shit and unpleasant.

Lots of roided out dickheads on shit coke in the audience/crowd. Loads of fights breaking out. Utterly moronic chanting ... Crap beer, crap everything.

It's a no for me.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I’m a total oddball I’m afraid. I really like watching it on telly and sat through all three games this afternoon. However, I’d never go to Ally Pally for exactly the reasons @Pevenseagull states.

Went to the proper darts in Frimley twice back before Sky and the Cocaine Male Voice Choir took over. Used to play for a pub team too. Met Sid Waddell. Now he was a proper geezer. Highly intelligent working class Geordie

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I genuinely don't get it.

I can watch most sports on TV and get something from it, but darts ? f*** me. I'd rather watch Emmerdale repeats on a loop, and believe me, thats saying something. I cannot think of a DULLER sport to sit down in front of, except perhaps horseracing without having a bet on. Yet every year, people are falling over themselves to watch this drek. OK, if you go to watch it live I do get that its basically an all-day pub piss up with something going on to watch. But I guarantee, if the Ally Pally was as dry as Qatar, they'd be playing to an empty hall.

Tell me I'm wrong. Go on.
It's better than fishing, which you clearly like.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's better than fishing, which you clearly like.
Just airing a long-held opinion. And I can certainly get why many people cannot stomach NFL or golf, its something of an acquired taste.

But with darts, what is the most spectacular thing you're EVER going to see. 180 ? A 9-dart finish ? OK, you might see a good close tense contest, but you can get that in any sport. But in terms of actual spectacle, its got to be one of the most HUMDRUM things you can watch. No amazing shots. No incredible feats of athleticism, or tactics. Nothing to make you spontaneously jump out of your seat with a WOW.

I'd honestly rather watch two people play a game of Scrabble.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I watch golf in the same way I watch those BBC4 shows of a camera stuck on a canal boat or the like, something long and quiet to induce a Sunday afternoon nap when required.
You need Wrist Watch Revival on The YouTube, in your life.
You'll be sleeping like a baby within 5 minutes.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
I used to quite enjoy it on World Of Sport while waiting for the scores to come in. Jocky Wilson doing a pint as play was held up as some punter walked across the oche to get twenty Number Six out of the machine. It was better than the wrestling or the rolling of cheese down a big hill.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But Jocky had a song about him
ElfV0o7WoAAifmc.jpg

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Just airing a long-held opinion. And I can certainly get why many people cannot stomach NFL or golf, its something of an acquired taste.

But with darts, what is the most spectacular thing you're EVER going to see. 180 ? A 9-dart finish ? OK, you might see a good close tense contest, but you can get that in any sport. But in terms of actual spectacle, its got to be one of the most HUMDRUM things you can watch. No amazing shots. No incredible feats of athleticism, or tactics. Nothing to make you spontaneously jump out of your seat with a WOW.

I'd honestly rather watch two people play a game of Scrabble.
Fair enough.
Every good game is like a rapid fire penalty shoot out. Again those are things you tend to love or hate.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I used to play darts blindfolded.

If you've never tried it, you don't know what you're missing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here