Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] How can people watch DARTS ?

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
It's long overdue for shove ha'penny to be a TV sport.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Don’t mind TV darts, but can’t imagine how awful watching it at a venue would be, pissed-up coachloads from places like Stoke-on-Trent and Digbeth barrelling through the Lakeside doors like a chavalanche. More unfathomable are the Dutch fans who travel over here to watch it at Lakeside, just bizarre, especially the ones with mullets.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I genuinely don't get it.

I can watch most sports on TV and get something from it, but darts ? f*** me. I'd rather watch Emmerdale repeats on a loop, and believe me, thats saying something. I cannot think of a DULLER sport to sit down in front of, except perhaps horseracing without having a bet on. Yet every year, people are falling over themselves to watch this drek. OK, if you go to watch it live I do get that its basically an all-day pub piss up with something going on to watch. But I guarantee, if the Ally Pally was as dry as Qatar, they'd be playing to an empty hall.

Tell me I'm wrong. Go on.
Well you can count yourself lucky, that you've had a near miss.
Try listening to darts on the radio :shootself
This was what was on offer on the local benny radio, when I was down the Falklands :lol:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ooh Indoor League(?) with Fred Trueman. Top telly :moo: :vuvu:

Darts, Bar Billiards (that's a good game), Skittles, Arm Wrestling and Shove Ha'penny
Yeah, just about to post that. Ran for four years on ITV. Created by? Sid Waddell.
It's long overdue for shove ha'penny to be a TV sport.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oh was it? He liked a Pub did Sid!
Yup.

I could turn this very easily into the Sid appreciation thread. He also commentated on nine ball pool, another "niche" (pub) sport I like to watch as well as play. He put just as much effort into his phrases and jokes for that as he did for the darts.

We met him in Frimley because my mate I went with is a Geordie and had a Newcastle top on and he talked to us like grown men instead of the half drunk 20 year olds we were.

Talking of nine ball, years later I saw Efren Reyes in Taipei after a pool tournament I'd watched. He was buying beers for, chatting with and smoking with the ex pat Filipinos who'd been supporting him.

Clearly not everyone who comes from humble beginnings and succeeds forgets their upbringing.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Don’t mind TV darts, but can’t imagine how awful watching it at a venue would be, pissed-up coachloads from places like Stoke-on-Trent and Digbeth barrelling through the Lakeside doors like a chavalanche. More unfathomable are the Dutch fans who travel over here to watch it at Lakeside, just bizarre, especially the ones with mullets.
Chavalanche :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I’m a total oddball I’m afraid. I really like watching it on telly and sat through all three games this afternoon. However, I’d never go to Ally Pally for exactly the reasons @Pevenseagull states.

Went to the proper darts in Frimley twice back before Sky and the Cocaine Male Voice Choir took over. Used to play for a pub team too. Met Sid Waddell. Now he was a proper geezer. Highly intelligent working class Geordie
Same for the boxing as well, wouldn’t go to a live event again

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I do love the world championship but the crowd thing is tedious now. It hasn’t changed in 15 years at least now. Barry Hearn was on Jake Humphrey’s podcast recently and apparently it’s the most watched sport on Sky over everything apart from football

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Met Sid Waddell. Now he was a proper geezer. Highly intelligent working class Geordie
Loved Sid. Cambridge English graduate who I once saw interviewed about his favourite novel: Stephen King' s 'The Stand'. Absolutely no pretensions about the bloke. He loved darts and understood the theatre of the whole business. I grew up playing darts. My dad taught me maths sat on the sofa with a board at our feet, so I'm biased, but have been absolutely thrilled by some matches on the telly.

Each to their own and everything is subjective. With TV sport there is only one unarguable fact: Nobody really enjoys F1. They must all be pretending. They just must be. It's awful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here