Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How big a factor is ‘bad’ transport affecting your STH decision?

Is travel to and from The Amex preventing you getting a ST or renewing your ST?

• Yes

Votes: 58 39.7%
  • No

Votes: 88 60.3%

• Total voters

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
With lazy rail workers and constant ko day and time changes, unless you are available most, or all the time, its a gamble. Stomaching the hassle by train can get too much. It's handy our home games tend to be spread out across the season. A game at the Amex at the weekend and then a few days later midweek with back to back train hassle can be tough to take. Thankfully the experience inside the ground is much better. Improving the train travel has to be a priority and given the club built at Falmer with high reliance on rail transport, if nothing else, I think they have a moral obligation to get involved and assert the standards are not good enough and need improving. I go back to...what did the clubs risk analysis identify upfront? The contingency measured used....are they sustainable? I have not seen any comment whatsoever of reassurance from the club, so if PB is reading...over to you please....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Used to get the train at least part of the way, but having no clue when I’d get back afterwards so often led me to park a couple of miles away and walk in. I don’t drink at games anyway so have no problem driving. Can be a bit grim on a January evening when it’s pissing down but doesn’t happen very often at all. Wonder how many would be prepared to walk up to say 30 mins or so if suitable parking could be found ?
We arrived at Southampton really early, so double backed from the stadium and found a decent free parking spot which turned out to be next to the cycle path going straight back to the stadium.
15 min walk along the river.

Bicycles look after their own, noice. 🤣

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don’t think your vote skews it at all. If we all lived walking distance from the ground then transport decisively wouldn’t be an issue. The further away you live and the more you rely on public transport the more it becomes an issue.
I missed this response earlier. Sorry.

I guss it comes down to what the point of the poll is, what you're trying to take from the results. If you're looking at the whole fan base are impacted, sure, it's important to count.

I may have been looking at it from another angle. If, for example, you're gauging how good a company's customer helpline is, and 35 people have used it without any problems, and 65 people have had problems with the helpline everytime they've tried to use it, that's a 65% failure rate. If you then factor in the other 900 customers who have never used it, only 6.5% of your customer base has had a problem with the helpline. So why would you think you need to put a lot of emphasis on improving your helpline?

Obviously, we're not looking at 90% of the fan base walking/cycling, but those of us that do use those methods are not going to have a problem with transport to the point it is a factor in us not renewing, and if you're looking at how troublesome public transport options/car parking is impacting you might want to focus on the fans that use those methods.

Last edited:

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I would suggest, very much the opposite could be true.

For those living a distance away going to the Albion must be an all day event, Irrespective as to how long that day is.

Whereas those of us Sussexites going to the Albion is still an all day event despite the fact the very most anyone has to travel, in one direction, is only about 35 miles.
Indeed. As STH living in West Dorset I must leave around 6 hours before KO anyway to allow for A35/31 and M/A27 delays. I aim to get to MR as it opens and occasionally arrive in time to read the paper in the car waiting for it to do so. Laughably, got caught speeding before Villa game at Worthing; the only time I can ever remember being able to travel fast enough to breach the limit,

The only showstopper for me would be inability to access MR.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I cancelled my season ticket last year because of how bad the travel was, and it’s even worse this year. Maybe when we have a functioning government and a semi reliable train service I’ll consider it again but I missed too many games for it to be worth it.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
My thoughts:

1. My Plan A is the short drive to Shoreham station then train to ground via Brighton. This means I can stay behind with the group I sit with. Train strikes have scuppered that.
2. My Plan B is the direct football bus from Steyning which is brilliant but means I can't stay behind with my group as the bus leaves promptly after the game ends.
3. What I find the worst thing about transport is not anything to do with myself but seeing the mass exodus on 85 mins, and the support that is lost at the business end of the match. You don't get this anywhere else in the world of entertainment, and it is proof that despite us being at the Amex for 11+ years transport is still rubbish. Maybe one day when all vehicles are electric they will build a bigger car/coach park near to the ground and a lot of this ball-ache will be a thing of the past.
It's a good point, number 3. Watching people stream out with 5 mins left against villa was a killer. Literally sat through all that shìte and then leave at the literal point where it all meant something, totally killed the atmosphere.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I'm not bothering anywhere near as much - partly young family life but a big factor is the hassle; not just transport but the amount of crap ko times (the arsenal game case in point - not one ounce of care or consideration for fans attending).

Re transport, unfortunately the club really don't seem bothered. I suppose they wont all the while games keep selling out and then some. Might if/when attendances start dropping though if the farce continues

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
The University of Brighton is strapped for cash (according to its boss) so should welcome the opportunity to maximise revenue by selling spaces in the 'new' car park on Moulsecoomb campus to Albion fans.

Jul 7, 2003
Laughably, got caught speeding before Villa game at Worthing; the only time I can ever remember being able to travel fast enough to breach the limit,
Caught just east of Worthing? The old red light camera has been changed so it also now does speeding when on green. I found that out to my cost a few weeks ago.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Caught just east of Worthing? The old red light camera has been changed so it also now does speeding when on green. I found that out to my cost a few weeks ago.
They’re at / or will be at Lyon’s Farm traffic lights shortly as well…

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We arrived at Southampton really early, so double backed from the stadium and found a decent free parking spot which turned out to be next to the cycle path going straight back to the stadium.
15 min walk along the river.

Bicycles look after their own, noice. 🤣
Usual spot for us, also free and about 20 mins walk over the bridge - quicker getting away from there usually. Was home by 7.15 Despite taking an age to exit the stand and stopping to grab some food on the way back (nothing left in the ground when we arrived).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Usual spot for us, also free and about 20 mins walk over the bridge - quicker getting away from there usually. Was home by 7.15 Despite taking an age to exit the stand and stopping to grab some food on the way back (nothing left in the ground when we arrived).
We definitely 'won' yesterday, so much so in fact I kept looking at the time on the journey home. (I really am that exciting to be with)

17:03 - outside stadium.
17:19 - back at car.
17:52 - through border patrol & into Best Sussex.
18:0? - Arundel McDonalds.
18:57 onwards - terrible windy-pops.

We'll see how that compares with another 'quiet on the roads' day, on Saturday.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
We definitely 'won' yesterday, so much so in fact I kept looking at the time on the journey home. (I really am that exciting to be with)

17:03 - outside stadium.
17:19 - back at car.
17:52 - through border patrol & into Best Sussex.
18:0? - Arundel McDonalds.
18:57 onwards - terrible windy-pops.

We'll see how that compares with another 'quiet on the roads' day, on Saturday.
That's quicker than us getting home from the Amex.

If they weren't so pricey I might have to invest in a Brompton as a last resort to get to and from the Amex when the travel is stuffed (from nearby ish).

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Travel issues would never stop me renewing my ST, but having moved to Horsham 3 months ago I’m very happy North West Sussex Seagulls exist and run coaches to The Amex.

Having to train it from Horsham to Three Bridges, change to Brighton, then change to Falmer, especially on evening games would have been a nightmare.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's quicker than us getting home from the Amex.

If they weren't so pricey I might have to invest in a Brompton as a last resort to get to and from the Amex when the travel is stuffed (from nearby ish).
I guarantee you wouldn't regret it.
I sporadically look for another project on eBay and there's plenty of 'vintage' folding bikes from .99p - £150.00.
If you can't borrow one and a big boy bike won't fit in or on your car, I would suggest it would be worth it for a trial.

Last week, in the village, there was the very definition of 'little old lady', in her 80's stooped over, head scarf, buzzing around on her folding electric bike.
It's tough seeing that and reading all the justifications for standing in an unmoving queue for an hour!!!

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
This thread demonstrates that this is a significant commercial issue for the Albion. Paul Barber and his folks should start taking an interest and not batting away questions about transport. Is there anyone from the fan's panel ( whatever does that do...? ) on here who can take up the issue. Or any other way to put it in front of the right folks at the club ?

Reactions: abc

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
With lazy rail workers and constant ko day and time changes, unless you are available most, or all the time, its a gamble. Stomaching the hassle by train can get too much. It's handy our home games tend to be spread out across the season. A game at the Amex at the weekend and then a few days later midweek with back to back train hassle can be tough to take. Thankfully the experience inside the ground is much better. Improving the train travel has to be a priority and given the club built at Falmer with high reliance on rail transport, if nothing else, I think they have a moral obligation to get involved and assert the standards are not good enough and need improving. I go back to...what did the clubs risk analysis identify upfront? The contingency measured used....are they sustainable? I have not seen any comment whatsoever of reassurance from the club, so if PB is reading...over to you please....
Home games it doesnt affect me i cycle but could walk too. Away games it has had some major changes for me, will definitely be doing way less this year especially after what happened at Charlton

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This thread demonstrates that this is a significant commercial issue for the Albion. Paul Barber and his folks should start taking an interest and not batting away questions about transport. Is there anyone from the fan's panel ( whatever does that do...? ) on here who can take up the issue. Or any other way to put it in front of the right folks at the club ?
Club would be daft if they didn't monitor NSC on this issue. Worth a hundred dull but worthy 'Custom Feedback' initiatives and doesn't cost the club a penny

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's a good point, number 3. Watching people stream out with 5 mins left against villa was a killer. Literally sat through all that shìte and then leave at the literal point where it all meant something, totally killed the atmosphere.
Personally don’t understand the logic of making all that effort to go to a game, and then leaving whilst the whole thing remains in the balance just to get home a bit earlier but each to his/her own, we’ve all got different priorities :shrug: It does kill the atmosphere just at the time it could make a difference though. Presumably the players don’t look up and think ‘well if half of them don’t give a shit about the result then why should I ?’ but in a league of such fine margins even a subconscious thought could make a difference

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here