Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How bad are the scottish leagues

mitch

Oct 16, 2003
sandaza being linked with a move to rangers,he must have learnt to tie his boots up?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
How bad are the scottish leagues

splash.jpg

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I would also add that there are loads of players that have looked like world beaters in the MTL, and have done little here.

We've signed players in the past who were highly rated north of the border and did bugger all with us. What was that little dark haired bloke called, from the Withdean era, we signed him from a McClub and flogged him back to another one when he failed to shine. I can't even remember his name, he was so meh. Graeme Smith (the goalkeeper) is another one.

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
They would be better off just letting Rangers - Celtic play heads up over 9 games and the winner wins. Must be the most boring league in the world.

Seeing each sets of fans going wild after scoring against teams like inveness just sums up their tin pot leauge.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Someone like Gary Hooper was a third division striker here, and is now one of the MTL's top scorers. Would an English Premier League team ever have signed him? A Wigan at absolute best, but probably not even them.

I still can't think of who that Scottish midfielder was, anybody help me out here? Wasn't completely useless, just never seemed to take hold of games like you want midfielders to.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Someone like Gary Hooper was a third division striker here, and is now one of the MTL's top scorers. Would an English Premier League team ever have signed him? A Wigan at absolute best, but probably not even them.

I still can't think of who that Scottish midfielder was, anybody help me out here? Wasn't completely useless, just never seemed to take hold of games like you want midfielders to.

Wasn't Thomson or something similar was it?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

Steve Thomson ? ? ?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I would also add that there are loads of players that have looked like world beaters in the MTL, and have done little here.

We've signed players in the past who were highly rated north of the border and did bugger all with us. What was that little dark haired bloke called, from the Withdean era, we signed him from a McClub and flogged him back to another one when he failed to shine. I can't even remember his name, he was so meh. Graeme Smith (the goalkeeper) is another one.

Steve Thomson. Hit the post against Man City, if I remember correctly. I thought he looked quite decent, but then our standards were not quite so high in those days.

Graeme Smith was an absolute ghost of a keeper. Didn't seem to make massive blunders, but everything just went through him. Didn't he complain about having to wash his own kit? : poorfella : :cry:

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Steve Thomson. Hit the post against Man City, if I remember correctly. I thought he looked quite decent, but then our standards were not quite so high in those days.

Graeme Smith was an absolute ghost of a keeper. Didn't seem to make massive blunders, but everything just went through him. Didn't he complain about having to wash his own kit? : poorfella : :cry:

Is that Graeme shocked-to-do-his-own-washing Smith !? :lolol:

Feb 14, 2010
No idea but I do know that friends of mine who are big punters on football will not touch betting on football in Scotland and are looking at England as well with a sideways glance as well at times.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Thanks, it was Steve Thomson I was thinking of :thumbsup: He wasn't that bad, didn't do a lot wrong, but never really seemed to do much at all.

Says on Wikipedia he played 100+ games for Palace before he joined Falkirk then us, which perhaps explains why he's suited to the MTL.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Thanks, it was Steve Thomson I was thinking of :thumbsup: He wasn't that bad, didn't do a lot wrong, but never really seemed to do much at all.

Says on Wikipedia he played 100+ games for Palace before he joined Falkirk then us, which perhaps explains why he's suited to the MTL.

Glad to read a few people say this - on a thread yesterday I was arguing that Thomson was ok, not great but ok, and people were having none of it!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
0,,10433~3819861,00.jpg

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Always amazes me that Greer seems to get nowhere near a Scottish squad.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Honestly think Scottish SPL is equivalent to league 1, hate how it gets so much coverage and how Celtic v Rangers is built up like Barcelona - Real Madrid

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
if im being honest, this whole getting celtic and rangers in prem is crap

give em a season in the championship, see where they end up, cause 1 game means nothing....joe ledley was ok for cardiff.....now he scores winner in the scottish version of goliath v goliath....f*** off

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
considering the population of scotland,i think there leagues are pretty good

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
if im being honest, this whole getting celtic and rangers in prem is crap

give em a season in the championship, see where they end up, cause 1 game means nothing....joe ledley was ok for cardiff.....now he scores winner in the scottish version of goliath v goliath....f*** off

You need to understand how things are in Scotland compared with here.

Rangers and Celtic are massive clubs BUT they are disadvantaged as compared to clubs in England because they do not have access to the huge income which comes from advertising/media/television.

Remember, and it was a long time ago, but the last European Cup/ Champions League when Scotland faced England, Rangers beat Leeds United home and away. Celtic were the very first British Club to win the European Cup ( in 1967 it has to be said)

Someone quoted statistics re, I believe, Inverness where I lived before coming to Sussex. The population of Inverness was fewer than that of Bognor Regis by a long way (and no catchment area either) so try to be understanding of the problems that clubs have north of the border.

If Rangers and Celtic were in the English divisions (as indeed Welsh Clubs are) with access to the funding which we do they would compete mightily within two to three seasons. So don't scoff at their situation.

There is one English club in the Scottish Divisions and that is Berwick Rangers.

Please leave this one alone as it just sets out posters as ignorant of the circumstances.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here