Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] How are you feeling?

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Been a busy day work-wise so having sat down with a (strong) beer, this is the first time I’ve had to properly reflect.

First of all, I feel huge sorrow and regret for the Ukrainian people. Seeing photos of injured civilians, peoples homes levelled, children sleeping rough in underground stations or crying at the sound of Russian jets dropping bombs. Those kids, they are the epitome of innocent. They look just like mine, who I’ve not long ago gotten to sleep, safe and sound in their beds. For now.

And that’s where my thoughts go next. To my kids. I’ve tried to bring them up with the very best values I could, in the best environment I could. I’ve worked hard for that. But it’s times like this that make you realise how little control over their lives you have; it could, if all goes wrong, be taken away in an instant.

I hope and pray that never happens. I hope this whole affair ends with minimum bloodshed. But there’s a feeling in the pit of my gut that I haven’t felt since this time two years ago, when it became apparent that the world was entering a period of massive upheaval in the shape of the pandemic. A feeling of raw, impending doom.

So how do I feel? Sad, concerned, wary and dismayed that this all seems so utterly, utterly pointless. Why is peace so grossly underrated?

On your last sentence, there is no money in it.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I feel disappointed and worried.

I had hoped this wasn't going to happen, and effectively believed it wouldn't, as it shouldn't be believable; but but it is. Who knows how this situation will pan out and the effects it will have, before there was some confidence, now not so much.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
After a hectic day I've only been able to sit down and take it all in over the last few hours. Very saddened, but more than anything worried for what world my little boy is going to grow up in, especially considering we've literally only just reached the light at the end of the tunnel (hopefully) with covid.

But like others have said, I try not to stress over things I have no control over. Won't be able stop indulging in the news around what's happening, but will try not to stress over what may/may not happen next. Does make it harder as a parent, though, I've realised over the last few years.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
On your last sentence, there is no money in it.

What does Putin have to gain financially, from this? As a very minimum there are going to be a lot of dead men, women and children on his watch, and potentially the destruction of his own country and the developed world.

That is not the product of sane decision making, which is my concern.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
What does Putin have to gain financially, from this? As a very minimum there are going to be a lot of dead men, women and children on his watch, and potentially the destruction of his own country and the developed world.

It was more of a general point about peace being underrated to be honest. Power and money do go hand in hand though.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
It was more of a general point about peace being underrated to be honest. Power and money do go hand in hand though.

They do, but I still question the sanity of what is happening. The best case scenario, it seems, is Ukraine is decimated and gobbled up by Russia. What that means for it’s people, I can’t even comprehend.

The worst case scenario? Nah, fúck it, I don’t even want to go there. Hopefully it never happens, but this could turn out pretty shit.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Bit anxious and I'm not normally an anxious person.

What I'm most depressed about is we can't look to our leaders. We can't believe in them and we can't trust them. Absolute shit show.

This. The right thing to do is to properly shun Putin's Russia, yet the Tory coffers have been replenished with Russian oligarch cash and the City has laundered their billions while our government has stood on the sidelines.

Russia has been a gangster state for 30 years and Putin has been waiting for this moment all this time. I would feel a damn sight more comfortable with Thatcher or Blair in charge than this shit shower, and the best thing of this awful day is the guts of the Russian people who went out and protested against this war.

And for those who try and shut out out the outside world as if we have no influence or control I say read, engage, research and think. If we all do these thing the standards of our politics improves. indeed, I believe it is essential to democracy itself that we make this effort.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Anxious for sure. Not helped by the fact I am currently transitioning medication for that very thing, which has the side effect of ... more anxiety.

Bon courage, can appreciate so stay strong and NSC is open all hours for a chat in this respect. Seen some marvellous wisdom and support down the years…and that’s just my ramblings! Seriously though, this place is so good for this sort of thing Bozza probably serves a gong for its services to aiding mental health.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Been a busy day work-wise so having sat down with a (strong) beer, this is the first time I’ve had to properly reflect.

First of all, I feel huge sorrow and regret for the Ukrainian people. Seeing photos of injured civilians, peoples homes levelled, children sleeping rough in underground stations or crying at the sound of Russian jets dropping bombs. Those kids, they are the epitome of innocent. They look just like mine, who I’ve not long ago gotten to sleep, safe and sound in their beds. For now.

And that’s where my thoughts go next. To my kids. I’ve tried to bring them up with the very best values I could, in the best environment I could. I’ve worked hard for that. But it’s times like this that make you realise how little control over their lives you have; it could, if all goes wrong, be taken away in an instant.

I hope and pray that never happens. I hope this whole affair ends with minimum bloodshed. But there’s a feeling in the pit of my gut that I haven’t felt since this time two years ago, when it became apparent that the world was entering a period of massive upheaval in the shape of the pandemic. A feeling of raw, impending doom.

So how do I feel? Sad, concerned, wary and dismayed that this all seems so utterly, utterly pointless. Why is peace so grossly underrated?

Great post, sincerely mean that. Your kids are going to be fine with a father like you. Natural to feel the same anxiety we’re all feeling today so time to give yourself a break and don’t forget a hug too. It is a momentous event in all our lives, how does the old poem go? “If you can keep your head, whilst others all around lose theirs….then you probably haven’t grasped the reality of the situation yet!”

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
This. The right thing to do is to properly shun Putin's Russia, yet the Tory coffers have been replenished with Russian oligarch cash and the City has laundered their billions while our government has stood on the sidelines.

Russia has been a gangster state for 30 years and Putin has been waiting for this moment all this time. I would feel a damn sight more comfortable with Thatcher or Blair in charge than this shit shower, and the best thing of this awful day is the guts of the Russian people who went out and protested against this war.

Obviously this government is swimming in Russian money, but please don’t hail Blair as some great hero or leader.
He wasn’t, he lead us into a pointless futile war himself and let’s not forget Russian money started to flow into London under his stewardship, he is as guilty as anyone.

Went to bed at 10, but can’t sleep, after my daughter asked if we’re all going to die, kids at school told her we will be nuked and she started crying, consoled her obviously and told her the truth about the situation, I never lie to her. I think she got it, and she calmed down (she’s quite an anxious child). I tucked her in to bed, and tried to sleep shortly after, but I can’t, so much whizzing round my mind, I didn’t like being honest or explaining why some rulers are like they are, why they want more, how they affect not only those they attack, but those they control and fear him, in his own country, how not to hate the country that is Russia, how to hope this resolves its self, but also explaining we have weak and incompetent leaders ourselves.
Damn, my dad never sat me down at 12 and explained anything, not the Cold War or Falklands…

Anyway having a whisky or two then back to bed, cheers everyone and good health

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Russia would most likely love to control the pipelines through Ukraine, avoiding gas transit fees and other problems they've had a conflict about for about 30 years.

Perhaps even more importantly, they dont want Ukraine to westernize (or as it is also known; selling all your state-owned companies to American oligarchs). Russia do not want Naftogaz to fall into the hands of Chevron or Exxon... which would obviously be a dream scenario for the West.

This is the core of the conflict. If Ukraine was some geopolitically,and economically unimportant country, Russia wouldnt bother invading it and no one with power in the West would bother caring about it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Obviously this government is swimming in Russian money, but please don’t hail Blair as some great hero or leader.
He wasn’t, he lead us into a pointless futile war himself and let’s not forget Russian money started to flow into London under his stewardship, he is as guilty as anyone.

Went to bed at 10, but can’t sleep, after my daughter asked if we’re all going to die, kids at school told her we will be nuked and she started crying, consoled her obviously and told her the truth about the situation, I never lie to her. I think she got it, and she calmed down (she’s quite an anxious child). I tucked her in to bed, and tried to sleep shortly after, but I can’t, so much whizzing round my mind, I didn’t like being honest or explaining why some rulers are like they are, why they want more, how they affect not only those they attack, but those they control and fear him, in his own country, how not to hate the country that is Russia, how to hope this resolves its self, but also explaining we have weak and incompetent leaders ourselves.
Damn, my dad never sat me down at 12 and explained anything, not the Cold War or Falklands…

Anyway having a whisky or two then back to bed, cheers everyone and good health

Our nipper played on Roblox as usual and went to bed as usual. Sorry to hear that your household is in a different place.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Unfortunately Putin has given Johnson a free pass to look witty and statesmanlike without risking a pint of British (forces) blood.

Putin will breeze in and breeze out again (with some land grabbed) and Johnson will claim a great victory.

The brain dead element of the British electorate will vote the tories back in, in 3 years, and Putin, or his lovechild/clone will do the same dance again, while gorging on money, drugs and hookers.

This is now Orwellian. Eastasia, Eurasia and Airstrip 1, constantly at war but not at war. Fifteen die in dustbin atrocity. The fewer deaths the greater the outrage. Every funeral broadcast live on national TV, while the pundits on GB news ask 'why oh why'?

Or maybe something else may happen. Someone nudge me when it's time I held my breath...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Our nipper played on Roblox as usual and went to bed as usual. Sorry to hear that your household is in a different place.

Ha,don’t worry about it.

Mine would have been playing Minecraft was on a ban for indiscretions incurred getting ready for school, so she had to live in the real world for an evening….

I’d rather be telling her about events far away that could affect us, than be in the Ukrain explaining why we fleeing.

Oh how lucky we are, funny I’ve calmed down a little after a large whiskey, although I found it slightly irritating watching sky news about today, and a lady guest commentator was banging on about Boris and garden parties, oh I bet free thinking Russians & Ukrainians would love that to be a “major issue”

Christ on a unicycle,get a grip, now is not the time….

Ha just seen your post above, preaching was not intention,I’m no fan of blue or red, I must explain I found her point scoring tiresome, while the Ukraine is being overrun, that is all.

kentgully

Jan 10, 2016
Worthing
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;10185518 said:
I was going to write you a proper reply, but I just can't be arsed. But most of what you've posted is utter drivel, dressed up in a way to make you sound intelligent and well versed in the ways of the world.

He is an utter tw*t

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
And for those who try and shut out out the outside world as if we have no influence or control I say read, engage, research and think. If we all do these thing the standards of our politics improves. indeed, I believe it is essential to democracy itself that we make this effort.

Re: your last paragraph there, understand the sentiment, but honestly I cease being able to function myself if I do those things. Looking at what we’ve created makes me sick to my stomach, I have to turn away just to survive.

I cannot engage politically in the U.K., we have two monstrous party machines, neither much better than the other, and the first past the post system that forces us to pick a side, when as with most things, the correct route often lies outside an ideological stance and with a pragmatic approach on a case by case basis.

We will never have a government that is left of centre, because vested media and political interests will destroy any left-leaning candidate that pops their head above the balustrade, and we will continue to be run in the interests of global markets and the filthy money that floods into us through our world-beating tax evasion/money laundering enabling territories. Without the reform of our political system, what we have is what we get, forever.

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I am really concerned that this opens the door to the potential re-emergence and potential re-election in the US.

If that happens then the 3 major powers militarily in the World will all be run by Autocrats who are all friends with each other and there will be no country with any military might left to hold any of them accountable in the future

Putin and Trump are both in their 70s and neither of them give a shit if the wold ends when they get to the end of their lives

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I feel sad.

Yet again a few men are playing out their political ambitions.

And I feel pretty helpless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here