Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] House Of The Dragon - Official Thread

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Really enjoyed it.

Particularly liked the bit at the end which linked to GOT with the story of the dream and a glimpse of the dagger which will kill the Night King ( I think ).

Hopefully a few seasons will be made and it'll follow the style of GOT with important characters at the start routinely dying off on a regular basis but being replaced by really excellent new characters as the story progresses.

Last edited:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
im a bit on the fence, nothing wrong with it, but I am still pissed off with the awful final season of GOT, with a similar issue with this-in that GRR hasnt written the rest of the books this is based on, I fear that the same will happen, pretty good up to the point the source material runs out and then a slow and increasing fast drift away from the books-

First episode was ok- but didnt have the awesome "grab" that the first 15 mins og GOT had

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
im a bit on the fence, nothing wrong with it, but I am still pissed off with the awful final season of GOT, with a similar issue with this-in that GRR hasnt written the rest of the books this is based on, I fear that the same will happen, pretty good up to the point the source material runs out and then a slow and increasing fast drift away from the books

Everything that is likely to be featured in this show is in Fire & Blood Vol 1.

Even when it gets to the end of the Dance, there's still a couple of hundred pages beyond that to work from.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Season 2 has now been confirmed.

:rock:

[Tweet]1563164368442839040[/Tweet]

Last edited:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
It was ok, good to see a lot of UK actors looking like normal people.
Unlike Vikings Valhala, a load of American pretty boy, steriod jacked gym junkies, it was shit.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well I guess being as this thread died on its arse, not many of you folks bothered with it (unless I've missed some other big hread on it).

Anyway, I finished Season 1 tonight, and although it sags in places, overall I enjoyed it. Its no GoT, but if you can put that aside then there's plenty to enjoy (aside from about 6 childbirth scenes, of which I am NEVER a fan of).

Also - can't they think up of some names that sound a bit DIFFERENT ? Was I the only one getting a bit confused with:

Rhaenyra
Rhaenys
Aegon
Aemond
Vaemond
Viserys

Especially when these names are at various points getting muttered in dimly lit catacombs. And that's before you start trying to remember the names of all the cuffing DRAGONS.

There were highs and lows over the 10 episodes, but I thought it got better as it went on - even the totally unwarned 10 year jump worked ok as it ramped up the dynamic by bringing all the royal brats into play. The season finale has set up S2 nicely. Looking forward to it. I have high hopes of the incoming battle of the SNIDES (Daemon and Aemond). Should be a good watch.

I just need to learn the names..

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
The time jumps were a bit confusing. And just how long does it take a king to die? He had what sounded like some kind of cancer in episode one and didn't die until, what, episode 8? At least 16+ years later?

The ten year jump was particularly confusing since they replaced the two lead actresses. Not sure why none of the men needed replacing...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Got bored of GoT around series 4 or 5. Just more and more of the same thing. I decided I'd seen all it had to offer and abandoned it. I doubt I missed much. Just LadyHawke with a big budget.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The time jumps were a bit confusing. And just how long does it take a king to die? He had what sounded like some kind of cancer in episode one and didn't die until, what, episode 8? At least 16+ years later?

The ten year jump was particularly confusing since they replaced the two lead actresses. Not sure why none of the men needed replacing...
I agree, it wasn't seamless. The first half of the series, King Viserys and his brother Daemon were seemingly not THAT far apart in age. Yet in the second half of the series, Viserys seemed to have aged in dog years compared with his swashbuckling brother. By E8 he was a walking corpse. But in the early episodes, he was still quite sprightly!

There's always stuff to nitpick though, and thats half the fun. Didn't detract from my enjoyment. And I thought the effects for the dragons were terrific.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Got bored of GoT around series 4 or 5. Just more and more of the same thing. I decided I'd seen all it had to offer and abandoned it. I doubt I missed much. Just LadyHawke with a big budget.
Everything is an acquired taste. But with GoT, I can't remember a series where they enriched every character so lavishly. Whether they be fair or foul, you truly got to see every side of them, which made you invest in them, and in some way care about them whether for the good or the bad. Some truly tremendous pantomime villains (Joffrey) with some wonderful heroes (Arya). So many story arcs, so many fascinating characters (Tyrion, Jamie, Cercei). And dominating it all, the neverending shadow over that whole series of what was coming over The Wall when "winter is coming".

A pity you bailed, there's a lot to enjoy. And even though every man and his dog slagged off the finale - I thought it was bloody good!!

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
I think I actually preferred the last couple series of GOT when it got its head out of its ass and ramped up the action . Nearly gave up prior to that as i just wasnt following all the characters and who was who . Felt like you needed a Radio times accompanying family tree pull out with pictures!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here