Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

House flooded, contents destroyed, no power for 48 hours

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I find it bizarre because it is unreasonable.

Who are you to belittle the misery that many people have suffered over the last week, who are you to tell people that they have suffered an 'inconvenience'? Have you had a comfortable Christmas, have your children been happy?

Where is your empathy?

Many people who live on flood plains have done so for many years. Problems have been exacerbated by developers being given carte blanche to build large housing extates, meaning that drainage problems have increased, flooding has become more likely.

Insurers are loathe to insure these people's properties without massive premiums, and their properties have become unsellable.

Where did I state that the government should cover every eventuality? To suggest that I did makes YOU look foolish. And I've shown no faux outrage, I have suggested that we should care for people who have suffered. You, meanwhile, appear to think that this is not important.

:thumbsup:
I read your post about 4 times and still missed that hidden message where you mentioned the government :D

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I find it bizarre because it is unreasonable.

Who are you to belittle the misery that many people have suffered over the last week, who are you to tell people that they have suffered an 'inconvenience'? Have you had a comfortable Christmas, have your children been happy?

Where is your empathy?

Many people who live on flood plains have done so for many years. Problems have been exacerbated by developers being given carte blanche to build large housing extates, meaning that drainage problems have increased, flooding has become more likely.

Insurers are loathe to insure these people's properties without massive premiums, and their properties have become unsellable.

Where did I state that the government should cover every eventuality? To suggest that I did makes YOU look foolish. And I've shown no faux outrage, I have suggested that we should care for people who have suffered. You, meanwhile, appear to think that this is not important.

Perspective doesn't necessarily mean belittlement and caring doesn't necessarily mean not challenging self responsibility.

In the grand scale of life's difficulties this is an inconvenience, a pretty miserable one granted, but if those homeowners have afforded themselves an appropriate and comprehensive insurance for this obvious risk then they should be dry and refurnished by the end of January and by 2015 it will be a story to tell the grandchildren, so save your angst.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Perspective doesn't necessarily mean belittlement and caring doesn't necessarily mean not challenging self responsibility.

In the grand scale of life's difficulties this is an inconvenience, a pretty miserable one granted, but if those homeowners have afforded themselves an appropriate and comprehensive insurance for this obvious risk then they should be dry and refurnished by the end of January and by 2015 it will be a story to tell the grandchildren, so save your angst.

It takes more than a month to dry out a house and replaster etc. As I pointed out in a previous post, my friends were in a rented property for 6 months before they could move back in.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Would the insurance companies use their old favourite to avoid paying out by saying a flood is an act of God, over which they nor anybody else has control?

Which home insurance policies contain an act of God clause? Let me know if you find one but suspect you won't Insurers do not exclude flood and fire as acts of god. On the contrary the insurance industry has been trying for years to reach agreement with the govt on building on flood plains, flood defences and insurance cover for properties at risk. The industry takes a long term view of risk management, govt just thinks about short term politics.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Oh, it's angst now is it? Moved on from the faux outrage, have we?

It often takes much longer than that to get back into a home that's been flooded.

Talking about 'self responsibility' at the time when these events are happening is ridiculous and irrelevant. We should look after people first, and have that discussion later if needs be.

A story to tell the grandchildren...you really couldn't care less, could you?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It takes more than a month to dry out a house and replaster etc. As I pointed out in a previous post, my friends were in a rented property for 6 months before they could move back in.

Yes, bloody miserable for many and there will be different levels of damage and subsequent restoration, but my point remains, it ISNT a disaster in the true sense of the context of this discussion..

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Oh, it's angst now is it? Moved on from the faux outrage, have we?

It often takes much longer than that to get back into a home that's been flooded.

Talking about 'self responsibility' at the time when these events are happening is ridiculous and irrelevant. We should look after people first, and have that discussion later if needs be.

A story to tell the grandchildren...you really couldn't care less, could you?

Yeah I really do care, but I needn't show it by not offering a view that this isnt a disaster, its an inconvenience which have many dynamics to why it came to be.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Yeah I really do care, but I needn't show it by not offering a view that this isnt a disaster, its an inconvenience which have many dynamics to why it came to be.

Well, I hope for your sake that you never have to suffer this 'inconvenience' just before Christmas, when the house is full of kids, grandparents etc, and no help seems to be forthcoming. However it came to be, people had a miserable time.

It really isn't necessary to have a league table of events with 'disaster' at the top and 'inconvenience' at the bottom. We should just respond to events and help people who suffer as a result.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Well, I hope for your sake that you never have to suffer this 'inconvenience' just before Christmas, when the house is full of kids, grandparents etc, and no help seems to be forthcoming. However it came to be, people had a miserable time.

It really isn't necessary to have a league table of events with 'disaster' at the top and 'inconvenience' at the bottom. We should just respond to events and help people who suffer as a result.

Isnt that what insurers are for, perspective isnt your strong point is it.

Exaggerated response really doesn't make you more compassionate, solutions do.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Oh, for God's sake.

Insurers offer solutions in the longer term. At the moment, these people are not having a good time. They need our help and support now.

You have not suffered, so you have no right to talk about perspective. The last thing that people need to be told is "No, it's fine. You're OK, the insurance will sort you out, once you've lived in a caravan for the next eight months. And anyway, you've got all your limbs, and you don't live in Afghanistan."

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Have to agree. If people can't tell put into perspective the difference between a paper cut and breaking your neck or 250k dying following a tsunami and 3 days without electricity then there is no hope.

What has happened is unfortunate and very inconvenient but not, in the grand scheme of things, a disaster.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Oh, for God's sake.

Insurers offer solutions in the longer term. At the moment, these people are not having a good time. They need our help and support now.

You have not suffered, so you have no right to talk about perspective. The last thing that people need to be told is "No, it's fine. You're OK, the insurance will sort you out, once you've lived in a caravan for the next eight months. And anyway, you've got all your limbs, and you don't live in Afghanistan."

What rubbish is this about caravans? Most insurers that I have ever dealt with will provide, as near as possible, temporary accommodation which normally is a house rental. That is of course subject to availability.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
What rubbish is this about caravans? Most insurers that I have ever dealt with will provide, as near as possible, temporary accommodation which normally is a house rental. That is of course subject to availability.

I worked on many houses in Lewes after the 2000 floods, on the Malling estate near the Police HQ quite a few houses were flooded, some residents were put into temporary accommodation miles from Lewes in Worthing, large caravans were put into the communal car parks on the estate for some people.

All the houses I worked on had the ground floor plasterwork, timber, radiators, boiler and kitchens totally stripped out, the houses had to dry out before new could be put back.

I hope this never happens to Lewes again, Newhaven had some flooding 2-3 weeks ago and I was told this was the worst flooding in the town for over 40 years.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I worked on many houses in Lewes after the 2000 floods, on the Malling estate near the Police HQ quite a few houses were flooded, some residents were put into temporary accommodation miles from Lewes in Worthing, large caravans were put into the communal car parks on the estate for some people.

All the houses I worked on had the ground floor plasterwork, timber, radiators, boiler and kitchens totally stripped out, the houses had to dry out before new could be put back.

I hope this never happens to Lewes again, Newhaven had some flooding 2-3 weeks ago and I was told this was the worst flooding in the town for over 40 years.

For the record the flooding in Newhaven is something that happens every few years, around the cricket pavilion and football pitch, each time being the worst for 50 years.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

As I said, it depends on availability. Would also depend on whether people actually have taken out insurance and what the limits under the policy are, normally a percentage of the buildings and/or contents sum insured.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
As I said, it depends on availability. Would also depend on whether people actually have taken out insurance and what the limits under the policy are, normally a percentage of the buildings and/or contents sum insured.

You also said "what is this RUBBISH about caravans"

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
For the record the flooding in Newhaven is something that happens every few years, around the cricket pavilion and football pitch, each time being the worst for 50 years.

This time it went up the railway track and past the crossing next to Newhaven Town station, a railway employee told me it was the worst flooding for over 40 years, I have only lived here since 2001 and I have never seen it that bad.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
What an utterly bizarre argument. You are basically saying that until people's lives are as bad as those you mention, they should accept everything that happens with a shrug, and never should they get upset, never should they complain.

People are entitled to moan when their houses are flooded, with little warning, over Christmas. Then they are without power for several days. All this whilst the power companies make indecent profits ploughing a negligable amount back into customer service.

This 'race to the bottom' type of mentality blows my mind. When things go wrong we should help those who suffer, not tell them that they are not suffering because they don't live in Afghanistan.

It's not bizarre, or an argument, or anything to do with a race to the bottom. It is one of the most basic coping techniques for any human when something bad happens.

If your propery gets damaged of lost - at least I have my health. If you get hurt in an accident - at least I'm not dead. If your house floods - at least it wasn't destroyed in a typhoon. Ad infinitum

It is possible to express that point and still feel empathy for people who have had a shit christmas when they didn't expect it.

Shit happens, that's life and you just get on with it because there's no other choice. I'm sure the community will get together to try and put safeguards in place for the future.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here