Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Hosepipe Ban

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
On the news last night there were dozens of firemen spraying water into fields with their hoses like it was going out of fashion.

One rule for them.

boik

From The I today.

£123bn capital expenditure of last 30 years financed by customer bills, borrowing funded £57bn in shareholder dividends.

Bills doubled over the last 15 years.

Whereas Scotland without privatised water companies, 35 percent more investment per household, and bills 14% lower

Not quite comparing apples with apples there.

By the way water consumption has grown by 600% since the sixties. It's all very well blaming the water companies for it all, but it would help a lot if we weren't just pissing it away by washing our cars and flushing our lavvies with the stuff. Nothing says first world problem like people complaining that there isn't enough drinking water to wash their climate burning cars with!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
So the whole of the South is now officially a drought area - yet in Brighton / West Sussex using a hosepipe is still allowed - how does that work then.....

"A drought is officially declared in eight areas of southern, central and eastern England - including Devon and Cornwall, Kent, London and the East Midlands"

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

By the way water consumption has grown by 600% since the sixties. It's all very well blaming the water companies for it all, but it would help a lot if we weren't just pissing it away by washing our cars and flushing our lavvies with the stuff. Nothing says first world problem like people complaining that there isn't enough drinking water to wash their climate burning cars with!

It's not the fact there isn't enough water, it's due to a complete lack of planning for the correct supply it's all in the wrong place and huge amounts are pumped out to sea up north.

The rise in population since the 60's is about 15m mostly in the South of England. The storage of water hasn't been increased. For instance the reservoir at Mountfield was designed to be three times the size. They didn't bother building that size and sold off the surrounding land. It would now cost billions to rectify.

Also we're surrounded by the stuff. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desalination Our engineers are World renowned for installing these plants, all apart from here.

The money the water companies make there is no excuse for not having enough water.

It's not the waste of water from washing Pooh away or washing cars it's the leaks not being sorted, the need during hot spells to water crops. Due to the lack of watering many crops are failing and this will again be inflationary. There's really no need for this shortage other than shareholder greed.

Don't blame the consumer blame the supplier.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

No new reservoirs built since privatisation either. The argument for it was too improve things, stop leaks and pollution

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anything to help.you out Southern Water

[tweet]1560502577560690689[/tweet]

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Entirely true. I don't support the privatisation of water supply (or anything else really) but saying build more reservoirs is akin to saying build more roads. It simply kicks the can down the road while spending billions, wasting resources and all so people can just use as much water as they want (or drive as much as they want). You don't need to be washing your car all the time, you don't need to water lawns or plants in beds. If everyone thinks about why they use water each time they turn the tap on, they will find ways to use loads less.

Incidentally, I was talking about water use with a girl I volunteer with at a nature reserve. She is very much into conservation and managing our impact on the planet and then told me she spends 15 mins in the shower.....

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Water companies brains trusts ... announce the bans at the very end of summer, after months of drought and sometimes extreme heat.

Well done.

No hosepipe ban from Portsmouth Water Company for my part of West Sussex.
Very well done, Pompey!:thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
There is a hosepipe ban in Devon . That is a surprise at this time of the year .
We've had a ban down here in Cornwall for many months. Only found out last week that we can (officially) use pressure washers, as they have a built-in flow limiter. So, my paths and patios will be getting a good squirt. Car is just as easy with a couple of buckets of water.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
There is a hosepipe ban in Devon . That is a surprise at this time of the year .
As I understand it from a relative in the water game down there, South West Water work on a 2-year system, so they can cope with one year of low rainfall but we're now into a second year and the reservoirs are low.
Something like that anyway

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
As I understand it from a relative in the water game down there, South West Water work on a 2-year system, so they can cope with one year of low rainfall but we're now into a second year and the reservoirs are low.
Something like that anyway
I don't know about Devon and further east, but most of the Cornish reservoirs are on quite high ground, so only catch direct rainfall and don't have water flowing in via rivers or streams. Not ideal. :unsure:

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick

Water levels in our local reservoirs look full.​

Bewl Water reservoir​

bewllevel.jpg

Bewl Water reservoir is the largest stretch of open water in the South East of England. It is set in 800 acres of the Kent countryside and attracts more than 150,000 visitors a year.

Capacity: 31,000 megalitres

Darwell reservoir​

darwelllevel.jpg

Darwell reservoir provides water for the Hastings area. It was formed in the early 1950s and covers around 156 acres.

Capacity: 4,730 megalitres

Powdermill reservoir​

powdermilllevel.jpg

Powdermill reservoir provides water for the Hastings area and stores more than a billion litres of water. The picturesque spot is popular with anglers.

Capacity: 1,060 megalitres

Weir Wood reservoir​

weirwoodlevel.jpg

Weir Wood reservoir is key to water supply in North Sussex. The reservoir is filled by rainwater and during a drought period the use of the reservoir is minimised to conserve supplies.

Capacity: 5,600 megalitres

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here