[Brighton] Hosepipe Ban

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
the population hasnt suddenly risen in East Sussex/Kent, so either people are hosing down lawns or they have a substantial leak somewhere.

cant understand why hose pipe ban didnt come in days ago and take effect immediatly - another 10 days of hose use isnt going to help anyone.
There are so many people who interpret bans as not applying to them. Thousands don’t give a monkeys and will continue to water lawns, wash cars, fill pools etc.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There are so many people who interpret bans as not applying to them. Thousands don’t give a monkeys and will continue to water lawns, wash cars, fill pools etc.
of course that happens. most people will abide though, and would be much more effective if they said stop now.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
We have had no water whatsoever since Monday mid-morning. The sole reason SEW have given is "it's hot, people are using more water" and they cannot pump enough to meet demand, which basically means we don't get any water until this resolves itself naturally. Their strategy to get water back to us was to wait for Autumn.

Under pressure from local MPs, they have now agreed to enact a hosepipe ban in the area, solely so they can get their levels back up / manage the demand.

Ironically, with a good throw, I could get a stone into Bewl from where I live.

View attachment 162352

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
You must be near me then?
Wadhurst has had no water since early Monday morning, we now (as of 30 minutes ago) have water, albeit a funny brown colour.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Water-way to have a good time - I’ll drink to that! Cheers!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Wettest spring on record wasn't it?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

BBC SE just spent a record breaking 20 minutes on this, live from Bewl Water. Reservoir levels are high.

This has been caused by unprecedented demand starting last Saturday. People going mad with their garden hoses on.

A King Canute attitude to gardening. Our climate is rapidly changing, every summer three months of intense heat. We need to adapt to different plants and not be obsessed with an artificially lush lawn.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Feb and March were ridilculously wet 1.5-2x normal rainfall. though it didnt seem to rain that much, when it did was a lot.

Dont remember much April showers. May into June dry, 1 day of rain in past 3 weeks?

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
It’s infuriating that they leak so much, do nothing about it and then say we are out of water. We live on a f***ing island surrounded by water and apart from three months where it rains quite a lot, it rains all the f***ing time.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I used to work on a very simple theory, having not seen a prosecution for breaking the rules for many, many years before I emigrated. A privatised company still charging its customers for a service it was not/could not provide would have to be very brave to risk losing a legal case, as nobody would ever take a blind bit of notice in the future. So. I continued to have a very green oasis in a sea of brown and yellow. Never did hear from the water company.
Oh I intend to give the lawn all the water it needs. They charge me enough.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
We're surrounded by salt water though - not much use (given the cost of desalination)
the thing i dont understand is that given we all know water is and will continue to be a bigger and bigger issue, not just here, but almost everywhere, why isnt there more research and developement going in to finding cheap efficient ways to desalinate sea water, of which we have plenty!
As with all things its very expensive at the start, but we never hear of any research or progress. To me it seems a no brainer given 75% of the planet is covered in the stuff!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
the thing i dont understand is that given we all know water is and will continue to be a bigger and bigger issue, not just here, but almost everywhere, why isnt there more research and developement going in to finding cheap efficient ways to desalinate sea water, of which we have plenty!
As with all things its very expensive at the start, but we never hear of any research or progress. To me it seems a no brainer given 75% of the planet is covered in the stuff!
Probably cheaper to move it from the North…..

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
If we lived in the desert and had oil then things might be different.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
As I understand it, it's not reservoir levels, it's storage and supply of treated water. Must be all the hundreds of thousands of people that suddenly and without warning moved here; I mean if they had any inkling that demand would rise they could have built more treatment/storage capacity.
It's a problem of their own making and I will use the water in my water butts (I've got about 2500 litres dotted around the garden) to water my vegetables. If/when that runs out I'll refill them with a hose at night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here