Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Honesty in Football

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The only way you will stop cheating is if the FA fines Suarez 2 weeks wages plus he gets a booking for say that dive for the penalty yesterday against Arsenal .
You could only do it in the Premiership due to the cameras but it would give out the right impression to kids watching the game because at the moment according to the likes of Shearer if someone leaves a leg dangling you can fall into it and do a pirrouette and clutch your shin and roll about and thats OK:nono:
Refs are just as bad , they dont book divers they let them get away with it and just laugh at them

but one of the worst culprits was our very own Michael Owen ( and to be fair El Abd goes down like a sack of spuds everytime someone breathes on him) I remember the "penalty" against Argentina that Bex scored.....it was a swallow dive of Tom Daly proportions.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
This can only be fixed by FIFA. If every team were to cheat, and they do, but my teams didn't, I'd be pissed off. We'd all be pissed off.

Zaha dived when we played there, getting them a 1-0 lead. Say Buckley then dived at the other end (I'm not so sure he did, but many think he did) to get us a 1-1 draw - are Brighton fans happy that he cheated or disappointed? They're happy.

Only FIFA can stop it with severe sanctions for cheats.
this

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I have just watched MOTD and listened to Villas-Boas on his post match speak and how refreshing it was to hear someone who was honest and reflecting that his team did not perform and that west brom were far superior. Here is a man who is under tremendous pressure but still has the dignity and humility to accept that his team was second best. Trouble is, he'll probably get the sack for being honest.

no i think you'll fnd he was fired because he was earning a £90,000 A WEEK to get a team to 4th

no i think you'll fnd he was fired because he was earning a £90,000 A WEEK to get a team to 4th

I get that but that (imo) is just a small part of it. VB inherited an ageing squad of premodonas and was not given the time to put his mark on the club. Chelsea want results immediately by buying them. VB has kept his dignity throughout and with a sense of humility - this is what the thread is about. Is there room for honesty in football and should we just accept that cheating is part and parcel of the game? I do not feel that cheating is pallatable and sets the wrong tone for our kids who emulate their stars (just as we did when we were young - I also think that football in 'our' day (70/80's) was more of an honest profession).

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I get that but that (imo) is just a small part of it. VB inherited an ageing squad of premodonas and was not given the time to put his mark on the club. Chelsea want results immediately by buying them. VB has kept his dignity throughout and with a sense of humility - this is what the thread is about. Is there room for honesty in football and should we just accept that cheating is part and parcel of the game? I do not feel that cheating is pallatable and sets the wrong tone for our kids who emulate their stars (just as we did when we were young - I also think that football in 'our' day (70/80's) was more of an honest profession).
yes, no, yes and yes - I think? basically, I agree :lol:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
But you understand if someone swings a punch at someone's head and totally misses, by the letter of the law it's still a red card, right? Like if someone lunges in two footed and misses the player.

It's all about the INTENT, not the OUTCOME.

Actually, the laws of the game cover both intent and outcome.

You may not intend to hurt someone, but if you are using excessive force or are being reckless, you can get penalised.

bustersdad

Banned
Jan 31, 2012
This can only be fixed by FIFA. If every team were to cheat, and they do, but my teams didn't, I'd be pissed off. We'd all be pissed off.

Zaha dived when we played there, getting them a 1-0 lead. Say Buckley then dived at the other end (I'm not so sure he did, but many think he did) to get us a 1-1 draw - are Brighton fans happy that he cheated or disappointed? They're happy.
oh y
Only FIFA can stop it with severe sanctions for cheats.

oh yeah Buckley dived for sure, so did zaha... so why do you think Buckleys cheating was ok and Zahas wasn't ?
either ~ALL of them stop cheating or they ~ALL keep doi ng it..... its not right just because he's a Weed ......

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
oh yeah Buckley dived for sure, so did zaha... so why do you think Buckleys cheating was ok and Zahas wasn't ?
either ~ALL of them stop cheating or they ~ALL keep doi ng it..... its not right just because he's a Weed ......

Zaha dived and got his pen, Buckley just evened it out.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
WTF? I didn't say one was right and one was wrong. I agree with you that they might as well all cheat, because if you're the only team that doesn't you'll lose out. The only way to stop them all is via FIFA.

bustersdad

Banned
Jan 31, 2012
WTF? I didn't say one was right and one was wrong. I agree with you that they might as well all cheat, because if you're the only team that doesn't you'll lose out. The only way to stop them all is via FIFA.

i didnt mean you, just read upthealbions post

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here