Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Honesty in Football

I don't normally start threads and only post infrequently, but I felt compelled to write something to guage others' feelings on this 'honesty' thing in football.

I have just watched MOTD and listened to Villas-Boas on his post match speak and how refreshing it was to hear someone who was honest and reflecting that his team did not perform and that west brom were far superior. Here is a man who is under tremendous pressure but still has the dignity and humility to accept that his team was second best. Trouble is, he'll probably get the sack for being honest.

The other side - Suarez. Blatantly dived to gain a penalty yesterday and FAKED injury to justify his cause. This man is everything I despise in football but his actions are still endorsed by many as 'it's a part of the game', and by his manager. He will have a long and prosperous career in football. What a great role model he sets to all those impressionable kids who try and mimick him on the football field.

To me, football has it wrong and something needs to be sorted out from the top. It appears that there is no room for honesty, doing the right thing and general sportsmanship. However, cheating, on the surface of it all, gets you everywhere.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Speak to the Donny fans at the moment they seem to feel CMS is the route of all evil and the reason their bottom.

But on a serious note I tend to agree with you, But those qualities you have listed (Honesty, Doing the right thing) seem to be fading qualities in all levels of society.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Take the money out of the industry and you will restore the honesty in what was originally just a GAME

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I am beginning to detest Suarez and his manager Dalgleish. Shame because I've always admired the commitment of Liverpool and their fans. Bill Shankley must be turning in his grave.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
Take the money out of the industry and you will restore the honesty in what was originally just a GAME

The trouble is......you would have to give the money back in order to take the money out of the game and most clubs seem to have spent it already!

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Remember Chris Garland? He played for Chelsea when I was growing up. The referee once signalled a goal when he thought that Chris Garland had scored, but as far as I recollect, Garland drew his attention to the fact that the ball had entered the net via the side netting, and the goal didn't stand. Can you imagine anyone doing that now ?

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Remember Chris Garland? He played for Chelsea when I was growing up. The referee once signalled a goal when he thought that Chris Garland had scored, but as far as I recollect, Garland drew his attention to the fact that the ball had entered the net via the side netting, and the goal didn't stand. Can you imagine anyone doing that now ?
Robbie Fowler & Paulo di Canio were involved in similar acts of honesty but both of them were probably 10 years or so ago?

I am beginning to detest Suarez and his manager Dalgleish. Shame because I've always admired the commitment of Liverpool and their fans. Bill Shankley must be turning in his grave.

Suarez, undeniably, has an awesome talent and should be putting all his effort into improving his game other than trying to con to justify his selection (which I also think he believes will improve his confidence and self belief).

Dalglish was once the most respected manager in England, and probably Europe in the 80's. He is clinging on to former glory and trying his best to keep the changing room on his side (which if he doesn't spells the start of his demise). He is selling himself out because players have so much power and influence the club. Fergie/Wenger have it right, no player is bigger than the club, but when you are trying to cling on and you need them, players will get elevated to a status they don't even understand (let alone the power they have). This is what must change.

I believe Gus is getting it part right and is moving in the right direction and our club should be something to be proud of.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
Didn't di Canio catch a ball he was expected to nod into an empty net, because the keeper was laying on the floor injured?
Most players would celebrate over the goallie's dead body, if it meant a scoring and win bonus!

It wasn't the keeper that was down, but he did have an easy chance to score. He just caught the cross!

The Robbie Fowler one was against arsenal, he was through on goal, Seaman came out, Fowler skipped over him and went down. Ref pointed to the spot and Robbie was protesting it wasn't a penalty as Seaman didn't touch him. He consequently took a soft penalty, allowing Seaman to save, but I think it was Mcmanaman who flicked in the rebound.

I have just watched MOTD and listened to Villas-Boas on his post match speak and how refreshing it was to hear someone who was honest and reflecting that his team did not perform and that west brom were far superior. Here is a man who is under tremendous pressure but still has the dignity and humility to accept that his team was second best. Trouble is, he'll probably get the sack for being honest.

Oh well, point proved. Villas-Boas sacked. Honesty does not pay. What a great club Chelsea are.

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
The only way you will stop cheating is if the FA fines Suarez 2 weeks wages plus he gets a booking for say that dive for the penalty yesterday against Arsenal .
You could only do it in the Premiership due to the cameras but it would give out the right impression to kids watching the game because at the moment according to the likes of Shearer if someone leaves a leg dangling you can fall into it and do a pirrouette and clutch your shin and roll about and thats OK:nono:
Refs are just as bad , they dont book divers they let them get away with it and just laugh at them

Lush

Mods' Pet
Needs to happen from the top down. As long as the way that football is run is blatantly unfair and you can cheat (run up debt) your way to success, why should players behave any different? From the corruption at FIFA, the outrageous greed of agents, to the bully boy tactics of The Premier League, a lot of football stinks.

There are still some good sorts in the game - managers/chairman/players - but their numbers are dwindling.

It's also very easy to have a blinkered attitude when it comes to your own club and players, but be first to point the finger at others, as anyone who's had a quiet smirk at Adam El-Abd's wind up tactics (and I include myself) can testify.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Today I saw a man mountain of a Newcastle player almost have his head decapitated by a vicious brush of an arm across his chest.

It's a miricle he's not only still breathing but was also able to get up and continue with the game. What a guy!

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
I don't normally start threads and only post infrequently, but I felt compelled to write something to guage others' feelings on this 'honesty' thing in football.

The other side - Suarez. Blatantly dived to gain a penalty yesterday and FAKED injury to justify his cause. This man is everything I despise in football but his actions are still endorsed by many as 'it's a part of the game', and by his manager. He will have a long and prosperous career in football. What a great role model he sets to all those impressionable kids who try and mimick him on the football field.

To me, football has it wrong and something needs to be sorted out from the top. It appears that there is no room for honesty, doing the right thing and general sportsmanship. However, cheating, on the surface of it all, gets you everywhere.

Singling out the Urugauyan. How strange, and a common theme on nsc lately following the 6-1 humiliation.

Rooney, Bale, Nani & many others in the PL have done it frequently. Newcastle players in the first half were rolling around today whilst S'land played. It was universally agreed last week that Bale 100% dived for the spuds pen.

It's endemic in the PL now. Not just your one predictable example player. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
So what about the blatant dives of Rooney, Bale & Co.

Praise them for being clever, because they are British?.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Today I saw a man mountain of a Newcastle player almost have his head decapitated by a vicious brush of an arm across his chest.

It's a miricle he's not only still breathing but was also able to get up and continue with the game. What a guy!
He really was exceptionally twattish wasn't he? The day someone behaving like that is fined or banned we'll have progress :wanker:

Singling out the Urugauyan. How strange, and a common theme on nsc lately following the 6-1 humiliation.

Rooney, Bale, Nani & many others in the PL have done it frequently. Newcastle players in the first half were rolling around today whilst S'land played. It was universally agreed last week that Bale 100% dived for the spuds pen.

It's endemic in the PL now. Not just your one predictable example player. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I was using it as a comparison between the two. Suarez singles himself out. I was at the Liverpool game and I could only watch and admire his talent; I just wish he could use his talent for good and not the negative that he brings on himself.

Oh, as for zzzzzzzzzzzz, I take you have just woken up!

Needs to happen from the top down. As long as the way that football is run is blatantly unfair and you can cheat (run up debt) your way to success, why should players behave any different? From the corruption at FIFA, the outrageous greed of agents, to the bully boy tactics of The Premier League, a lot of football stinks.

As soon as Platini's vision is imposed this should tidy things up, if not even things out where a club can (possibly) not buy themselves success. Live within your means. Income received = expenditure.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Suarez is the flavour of the month though isn't he? Tarnished his own reputation with the Evra thing, then was made to look a fool by his teamates (t shirts) and by his own manager, and so is scrutinised for everything he does, and he gets caught cheating. If he really wants to change the way people think about him, then how about not cheating, in pretty much every single game he plays in?

He is The predicable one at the moment, and someone else will replace him at some point, but for now He is public enemy number one to a lot of football fans in England at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here