Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Homophobia alive & well down under

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Surely when you sign a contract as a professional sports person, it's not just about playing for the team but also meeting other obligations and supporting the club/team in a number of ways and causes.

Are these same players saying they would refuse to play alongside a team member who was gay? Do they not want gay members of the public coming along to support them? Wearing rainbow colours is about showing support for all ... it's about inclusion.

I really don't get it! And I really hope that along with the new 'rules' around pitch invasions and smoke bombs ... that the authorities come down hard on all forms homophobia ... like the tosser I reported at the Arsenal away game last season! Ban them ... take their expensive season tickets away from them!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
When the cause is respecting your fellow humans for being who they are, they should get on with it. Bigotry is bigotry. This is not a political point, or a matter of opinion. People can and will think what they want, but by deliberately refusing to play because they have been asked to wear a rainbow shirt just exposes those players for the bigots they are.

For me there are not two sides to this. You are either a homophobe or you are not.

Fair enough, thats your opinion. I don't believe things are always quite as black and white as that in life.

I've never gone out in town wearing a rainbow coloured t-shirt, and TBH, if I was specifically asked to by someone, I doubt I would. My choice. Would that make me a homophobe then ?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Fair enough, thats your opinion. I don't believe things are always quite as black and white as that in life.

I've never gone out in town wearing a rainbow coloured t-shirt, and TBH, if I was specifically asked to by someone, I doubt I would. My choice. Would that make me a homophobe then ?

What a disingenuous response. The two circumstances are not remotely comparable. The club were wearing this jersey to support inclusivity and diversity and the player flatly refused, and even worse the club are now back-tracking and apologising for not consulting the bigots beforehand.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
its a suburb of sydney , you know the second largest queer city ion the world , you small minded tit , and devoutly christian islander players who don't want to be dictated to are free to chose wether to play wearing the rainbow or not at all if that is their choice , what's wrong with you lot , when i used to take people from sussex out to the taxi club , gilligan's and les girls back in the 90's they were genuinely horrified.....op needs to wind his neck in with that thread title ffs.

And I had no idea that was the case.

Less of the name calling please.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
What’s more puzzling to me is the seeming mortification demonstrated by the club at having upset the sensibilities of those who chose not to wear the jersey for religious or cultural reasons (whatever cultural reasons means is this instance). They seem a lot more upset about this than the fact that a very sizeable chunk of their squad continue to hold such questionable beliefs in this day and age.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Pathetic snowflakes.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I'm not in the slightest bit religeous. But arbitrarily dismissing out of hand the religeous beliefs of the billions of people who are (because like me, you're clearly not) could be described as being a bit....descriminatory ?

Anyways, this isn't a hill I'm going to choose to die on. I just think people are sometimes quick to dismiss other cultures and races who hold different beliefs to our own, and who choose not to automatically align themselves with our own "western" sets of values when we demand it of them.

Live and let live.

For me it’s the double standards. If someone also refused to play on the sabbath or wear a shirt with betting advert then I would have a grudging respect but this to me is more homophobic than about religion.
FWIW, My mother was a staunch Catholic but had absolutely no problems with people being gay and she thought it sad that people would discriminate against them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
its a suburb of sydney , you know the second largest queer city ion the world , you small minded tit , and devoutly christian islander players who don't want to be dictated to are free to chose wether to play wearing the rainbow or not at all if that is their choice , what's wrong with you lot , when i used to take people from sussex out to the taxi club , gilligan's and les girls back in the 90's they were genuinely horrified.....op needs to wind his neck in with that thread title ffs.

Would you like me to get it changed for you as you are clearly such a sensitive soul?

As Hotchilidog puts it so eloquently above "For me there are not two sides to this. You are either a homophobe or you are not. ".

I'm not going to ask; I think we already know.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Genuinely not my intention and apologies if it's come across as homophobic. If you knew me you'd know I'm categorically, demonstrably some might say, not homophobic. So, again, apologies if I'm come across poorly here.

I'd just never seen the word 'Manly' in the name of a team before :shrug:

Manly is a suburb of Sydney.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Only if you refused to wear it on the grounds that you believe homosexuals should be discriminated against.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Sadly, to some people who have their own brand of bigotry, it would.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Would you like me to get it changed for you as you are clearly such a sensitive soul?

As Hotchilidog puts it so eloquently above "For me there are not two sides to this. You are either a homophobe or you are not. ".

I'm not going to ask; I think we already know.

He may be a bit of a pottymouth rough diamond, but I'm very confident that [MENTION=420]sydney[/MENTION] isn't homophobic :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No popcorn so a packet of crisps will have to do

Great minds. I’ve settled for:

982BA8BC-8AE6-4F00-AFB5-8B2C945FCE9F.png

Vintage nsc.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
The key bit for me is that the players weren't consulted. Tolerance, inclusion and diversity are just buzzwords if they are not applied evenly. These players are all different with different ideas, views and beliefs. Even if you do find their views backwards and primitive, are they not entitled to them?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here