Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homeless in Brighton

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
i am getting housing benefit but that is going to the landlord

Are you saying the council are paying the landlord directly ?

If so, how are you in arrears ? Unless of course there is an amount on top of your housing benefit you have to pay each month ?

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
Are you saying the council are paying the landlord directly ?

If so, how are you in arrears ? Unless of course there is an amount on top of your housing benefit you have to pay each month ?
its because we owe rent and thats why we are in rent arrears and we had to go to court because of it and i dont whats going on with the payments because my mum knows more then i do all i know is that my housing benefit is going to them because of the rent arrears

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
its because we owe rent

But how ? If the council pay the landlord directly then you shouldn't owe anything.

Whatever you do, DO NOT miss the court date. Often courts support the tenant in these situations but if you aren't there to give your side then the court will automatically award to the landlord. And once again, I need to re-iterate, that the council have the power and ability to pay arrears but you do need to ask.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
But how ? If the council pay the landlord directly then you shouldn't owe anything.

Whatever you do, DO NOT miss the court date. Often courts support the tenant in these situations but if you aren't there to give your side then the court will automatically award to the landlord. And once again, I need to re-iterate, that the council have the power and ability to pay arrears but you do need to ask.[/QUOTE we have been to court and we have been given a eviction notice of the 8th april to be out and also we renting from a private landlord though hyman hill

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
we have been to court and we have been given a eviction notice of the 8th april to be out

You really need to give me more information if you want me to be of practical help. PM it to me if you don't want to make it public.

> Is your rent paid directly to the landlord ?
> Do you have to pay an amount on top of housing benefit ?
> Have you asked the council to clear the arrears ?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
If we took back all the housing that we have given to refugee's and those just arriving into the country with nowhere to live rather than those who have fallen on hard times would we have enough housing?.
I know this will be taken as an immigration issue, but just want to know the numbers.
Housing giving to new just arrived UK residents against shortfall of current housing?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Alternatively, scrap Trident and build council houses. Better to spend the money on housing our own than buying a foreign weapon which we'll never use to kill foreigners..

No problem with that either. Trident is a joke, we won't use it unilaterally and if the world goes nuclear its all over anyway. Trident keeps the UK on the Security Council a very very expensive vanity purchase. Council houses are clearly needed and Council's should be allowed to spend the proceeds from sales on new properties as well as a cash injection from central government. We stopped being a world power about 5 mins after WWII and we need to get used to the fact...

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
How many homeless are there on the main streets of London? None because they're not allowed to be because the government think it'll put off tourists. The same applies to brighton. Why is our city deemed less important than London that they can just send homeless people down here?[/QUOTE]

Do you ever go to London? Many many homeless

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
If we took back all the housing that we have given to refugee's and those just arriving into the country with nowhere to live rather than those who have fallen on hard times would we have enough housing?.
I know this will be taken as an immigration issue, but just want to know the numbers.
Housing giving to new just arrived UK residents against shortfall of current housing?

I work in housing and this is not allowed before a qualification period

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
This is the difference from my generation, where most youngsters worked but stayed at home with their parents, so they could save. Generally they bought a flat/house with their partner/spouse.
Nowadays youngsters want a university education, independent living & money for a deposit as well.

Actually the facts say otherwise. The average age a person can afford to buy is now 41, well after having a family of their own. It's just not correct to blame it on anything but a shortage.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
Are there any volunteering opportunities for someone with a full time 9 - 5 job. This is something I want to look into after I have finished a part time course I am on until the end of Summer. I know you can volunteer for shifts at night shelters operating from November through March- maybe that would be the best thing to look towards doing.
Contact Brighton Housing Trust. Immense organisation

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Yep this is an issue,but being as the clowns in charge are obsessed with foreigners it isn't going to change soon....the more people the less properties available it's that simple.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Actually the facts say otherwise. The average age a person can afford to buy is now 41, well after having a family of their own. It's just not correct to blame it on anything but a shortage.
Yet many don't want to give morgages to people over 40:lolol:

You can't win

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
And robbing Grannies of their pension.. But apart from that they did a wonderful job..

During the Network Rail scandal Labour had pointedly made reference to not giving a stuff if "grannies lost their blouses" in internal documents.

These references concerned the fair payment to small shareholders when Railtrack went bust.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/dedb5196-3d17-11da-83c8-00000e2511c8.html#axzz3W3kwlSdZ

The comments were attributed to a Shriti Vadama..............an advisor to Gordon Brown (known as his highest representative on earth).

Here is what she does these days...............

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...ster-Shriti-Vadera-to-chair-Santander-UK.html

Good old Labour, always looking out for the working man and powerless.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The homeless crisis is due to an ideological shift brought about by the current administration. No, it really isn't The money is in the economy, as shown by the GDP, it's just been shifted upwards.The money in the economy is largely borrowed, quite a bit of it has just been printed and magicked up out of thin air, this is effectively borrowing from the future, and it is all diluted by the extra 1 million or so people here over the last four years

You can bleat all you like about labour mishandling the economy, but we have more homelessness and more people reliant on food banks, while this has been going on the rich have gotten richer. Quite disgusting for a civilised society. I agree, more should be being done to help

Perhaps if the current administration hadn't brought about a double dip in the recession(there wasn't one) by these ideological cuts - that were criticised by the world bank as being too harsh(yes they did, in 2012 they said it would cause unemployment, and prevent growth, whilst last year we grew faster than any comparable economy, and have high employment)- which downgraded our economy.(no it didn't We would have an even stronger economy, no we wouldn'tweakening your apparent delusion that we can't afford to help those who have fallen beneath the bread line and need help to regain their human dignity and contribute to our society.Never said that

It's quite disgusting that if this continues we'll soon have a crime ridden underclass like they do in the USA.

And no i'm not a labour supporter (i'm a 'floater') although i'll certainly be voting for them this time around, anything but the tories right now.

And no, I am not a Tory supporter, I just don't believe a large GDP necessarily equates to a large capacity to provide welfare, there are nations with larger economies than us with far worse social problems, and some with tiny economies where poverty essentially does not exist.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
It is a good start, better than the money I give and sorry for ranting.
I think the current Government could do more in this area, and should, but something else would have to be cut deeper.

The problem is that i think they will cut more and more from these areas. They are currently 'reigned in' by the liberals.

Anyone who has had an unlucky twist in life, be it through mental health issues (theirs or their parents), alcohol/drugs (which often just covers a mental health issue), financial etc will have little choice but to turn to crime to support themselves.

It seems to me there is little sympathy amongst current conservative voters, they just don't realise how privileged they are. It could be you.

There are several studies showing that less disparity between the top and bottom of society makes all sectors of that society happier. I presume current tory voters vote shortsightedly for personal greed.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
And no, I am not a Tory supporter, I just don't believe a large GDP necessarily equates to a large capacity to provide welfare, there are nations with larger economies than us with far worse social problems, and some with tiny economies where poverty essentially does not exist.

Hmmmm, not sure what your point is, USA has the capacity to provide welfare - it simply chooses not to. Being further to the right than 'us'.

There was a hooha over their government supporting the health insurance initiative. Many considered it 'unamerican'.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Indeed. It's a simple reality of life, payment is required. We all must pay.

We must have sympathy with the rich, particularly landlords who work so hard to earn the massive amounts of rent we pay them. It's all your fault for not working hard enough or being rich enough Mark - you deserve to be on the streets.
He should have worked harder maybe, yes, who knows. It's s tough world, no more now than under any previous government,. Of any colour. The welfare state catches real hardship, and that is exactly what it is designed to do.

However, the point is that this landlord may be just an ordinary bloke who worked hard, managed to buy a property to fund his retirement.....as is the case with many many landlords,... it certainly doesn't mean he is rich.......

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here