Homeless in Brighton

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Simultaneously attacking homeless people and addicts while defending those with all the cash. Typical right wing thinking there too.

Much happier on the left myself.
I am not attacking anyone, just adding padding to some peoples very narrow outlook. I feel you must suffer from an ability to read, note the word empathy..... you simply refuse to acknowledge that there are two sides to every story........ Stalin used to insist on the party line being adopted regardless, seems you are following suit.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
We have people in work having to use food banks. Homelessness and poverty generally is a real problem throughout the country - Not just in Brighton.

.......and through this nation's history, has always been the case to a greater or lesser degree.

The welfare state, which I support passionately, is under pressure simply because it has slowly but surely been *******ised to become a lifestyle choice for many, a means to get what they want without the traditional need to work or work harder.

It was intended to be a safety net, to ensure even the least fortunate of our society get basic support and opportunities....... it is no longer....it us too open to exploitation.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
.......and through this nation's history, has always been the case to a greater or lesser degree.

The welfare state, which I support passionately, is under pressure simply because it has slowly but surely been *******ised to become a lifestyle choice for many, a means to get what they want without the traditional need to work or work harder.

It was intended to be a safety net, to ensure even the least fortunate of our society get basic support and opportunities....... it is no longer....it us too open to exploitation.

The welfare state is drastically underfunded by successive governments who would rather assign wealth to other areas. It is very interesting that we are living through austerity measures and are all expected to tighten our belts whilst sales of superyachts have been steadily rising throughout the same period. Seems like some people are more effected by current financial problems than others.

My point is that there is plenty of money about for The Welfare State etc, it is just being concentrated in certain areas.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Utter bullshit. Completely ignoring that the largest slice of the welfare pie goes to pensions, with "in-work" benefits subsidising the poor wages offered by major tax dodging companies (the real benefit cheats!).
People at the very bottom of the pile are being treated like subhuman shit by this government, all for the sake of some cheap scapegoating political point scoring.

I for one am glad I have a job that actually pays me a wage that I can live on, I'd be royally screwed if I didn't.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

Sorry but you've taken a small element of truth that the system is "open to exploitation" and extrapolated that further in order to justify your own view. The welfare system is under pressure for a number of reasons, but it's not down to "lifestyle choice for many". It is exploited by a minority of people, there a multiple sources that validate this.

Also I get paid a lot of money. I don't "work harder" than lots of other people. I've been lucky (genetics, education, opportunities, career choice). More people should acknowledge that their financial worth is not down how hard they worked but due to opportunities that have come their way through chance.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I am not attacking anyone, just adding padding to some peoples very narrow outlook. I feel you must suffer from an ability to read, note the word empathy..... you simply refuse to acknowledge that there are two sides to every story........ Stalin used to insist on the party line being adopted regardless, seems you are following suit.

Sounded like an attack to me.

Really not sure how to respond to the Stalin comparison or which party line i am supposed to be adopting, so I think I will just let it slide.

I do certainly suffer from an ability to read.... its a curse

remind me which is the side of the story that i am not acknowledging?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Sorry but i think you've shown that yourself...for example the comment re dogs

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Sorry but i think you've shown that yourself...for example the comment re dogs
Its a fact,..... not some warped personal idea to use the dog as a stick to beat them with, its a flaming fact...........explain what my comment about dogs does illustrate about me?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Its a fact,..... not done warped idea to use the dog as a stick to beat them with, its a flaming fact...........explain what my comment about dogs does illustrate about me?
''Why do they all have dogs?'' was the part about dogs i was referring to ...i'd say that was narrow and inaccurate ...and it was one example

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
There is an allowance of something like £15 a week to feed pets, I don't know what it is exactly.......

I am sure that is not true.

If you are in receipt of benefits you can get vouchers/discounts for pet care such as vaccinations etc.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
This dog allowance BULLSH!T is a great example of the crap that people hear and take to be fact.

It's like "Bro science" but worse. Much much worse as it contributes to the divisiveness that permeates through society.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Guys, there certainly used to be, I will admit that document is conclusive, I can only assume it was subject to a 'cut' at some point...so I hold my hands up.......I know it was the case, since an elderly neighbour if ours when I lived in Hove, received this payment, but that was 25 years ago, maybe it morphed into the voucher system mentioned above.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Guys, there certainly used to be, I will admit that document is conclusive, I can only assume it was subject to a 'cut' at some point...so I hold my hands up.......I know it was the case, since an elderly neighbour if ours when I lived in Hove, received this payment, but that was 25 years ago, maybe it morphed into the voucher system mentioned above.

Maybe it was part of the pension but i have never heard of this for JSA or the dole.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I agrre the divide between rich and poor is far too great however my point was the systrm is completely wrong and people defend the joblees and ungrateful who seem to get everything while the lower paid people with jobs and morality get shafterd by everyone And theyre never talked about.
You're pointing your finger in the wrong direction. Other poor people are not to blame for your struggles - the problem are those at the top who are unwilling to distribute wealth fairly. You sound like a hard working person, it's unacceptable that you are clearly not fairly rewarded for your hard work... but considering the depressed, single parents, or other less fortunate people are responsible for this unfairness is bad thinking. It is possible for ALL hard working people to live comfortably, if wealth is fairly distributed, while looking after the most vulnerable in society at the same time.

If regular people continue to fight each other over the crumbs that we are allowed by those at the top, who are enjoying most of the pie, then nothing will ever improve. Of course there are some people who take advantage of the welfare system, but the fraction of wealth that they assume is so minimal that they cannot even be considered a problem. If you want a better world for your children, where people are fairly rewarded for their hard work, you need to look at why the richest people in society get unimaginably richer while regular people like yourself don't.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
The point is simply illustrating that in some cases it can be a matter of choice that an individual drops out of mainstream society, barely anybody lacks compassion and empathy when you see an individual sleeping in a doorway or in a derelict squat.......but plenty make that choice because they refuse to conform to the general 'norms' of society.

I expect in some cases it is true, a very small percentage though.

A lot however is due to mental illness, abuse/violence at home as a child. But you don't worry about them, keep up thinking it's a 'lifestyle' choice.

#ignorance

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports