Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Holiday plans this summer?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Seriously?? I read from it "might" go from green to amber, may i ask mate where the "red" list quote is from as I was literally going to book today to go to Mallorca next week.

I thought it was wisest to stick with Balearics being green as worse that my happen (or so I reasoned) is they may go amber, rather than go to an amber list place who may then go red....but now I'm not booking if it says it may go directly to red :-(

Edit: ive found it now in the Indy...... bugger, not risking Majorca now

Chaos isn’t it ? Thousands have booked holidays there in the last couple of weeks (after the confirmation that the double-jabbed can treat Amber as Green).

I suspect they’ll go Amber rather than Red - at least initially. Wouldn’t risk booking a trip though unless it was 100% refundable

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Being reported this morning that the Balearics may be going straight from Green (watch list) to Red because of a rapid rise in case numbers………

My wife being the ultimate cynic, has being saying that the removal of quarantine from amber countries for those double vacced will coincide with them all going red, thus the ultimate give with one hand and take away with the other.

There is a subtle difference with the amber countries. On the FCDO website the amber countries are split between those where travel is allowed, and those where 'all but essential travel is not advised'. If the latter applies your travel insurance is likely to be invalidated.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Balearic holidays are now far more complicated.

Whilst not even talking about all the other bureaucratic hoops already in place to meet Spanish and UK requirements, we now have:

- All travellers must have a negative PCR, LAMP or LFT result, medically certified, taken within three days of arrival back in the UK (so unless a flying visit, to find an approved test centre whilst on holiday). With hard copy or email proof to be allowed to board.
- All travellers must have a PCR test by day 2 of arrival back in the UK.
- 18’s and over not double vaccinated, must self isolate in one location for 10 days and have another PCR test on day 8.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Lets face it . . . Back gardens and pray for the weather

Unless you're a manic depressive and constant disappointment is your bag ! ( apologies to any MD's out there!)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Balearic holidays are now far more complicated.

Whilst not even talking about all the other bureaucratic hoops already in place to meet Spanish and UK requirements, we now have:

- All travellers must have a negative PCR, LAMP or LFT result, medically certified, taken within three days of arrival back in the UK (so unless a flying visit, to find an approved test centre whilst on holiday). With hard copy or email proof to be allowed to board.
- All travellers must have a PCR test by day 2 of arrival back in the UK.
- 18’s and over not double vaccinated, must self isolate in one location for 10 days and have another PCR test on day 8.

It’s a bit of a faff but the PCR test you need to take before coming back, and PCR on return can be self-administered but the sample has to be lab-processed and the result certified (the package tour companies are all over this with pre-arranged packages if you’re using one of them - if not the airlines have arrangements in place). There are drop-off points in all major resorts, and the day 2 test can be posted in. All for a fee, obviously.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
So changed plans, Cancun is a no-go so switched a couple of weeks ago to Lanzarote for a week in Mid August. After some investigation (as that's what it seems to take now to get away anywhere!)
My 12yr old son will have to take a PCR test (looking at Collinsons at Gatwick) before we fly. Our two younger kids don't need a test and neither do I or the wife as fully vaccinated. We then need to book up an Antigen test (€20 each) 2 days before we fly back home, these only take 45min to get a result. Also then book a PCR test for all of us for day 2 on our return.

It's all a pain in the arse but it would sooo good to have a break abroad! Unless it goes red we'll hopefully be going! Obviously need a good travel insurance just in case our 12 yr is positive just before the holiday!

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
So changed plans, Cancun is a no-go so switched a couple of weeks ago to Lanzarote for a week in Mid August. After some investigation (as that's what it seems to take now to get away anywhere!)
My 12yr old son will have to take a PCR test (looking at Collinsons at Gatwick) before we fly. Our two younger kids don't need a test and neither do I or the wife as fully vaccinated. We then need to book up an Antigen test (€20 each) 2 days before we fly back home, these only take 45min to get a result. Also then book a PCR test for all of us for day 2 on our return.

It's all a pain in the arse but it would sooo good to have a break abroad! Unless it goes red we'll hopefully be going! Obviously need a good travel insurance just in case our 12 yr is positive just before the holiday!

Prepare yourself for the stress of taking the antigen test before you come home! We went to Mexico in April for our daughter's wedding (one of the valid reasons you could fly, at the time). We knew we had to self-isolate for 10 days on return, and take the Day 2 and Day 8 tests. We also obviously had to take the antigen test before getting the flight back to the UK. The process itself is simple, but of course there is the prospect that you test positive. Then what? The potential for an unpleasant illness (albeit unlikely to be too severe, given you're fully vaccinated) - but how long will you be stuck there before you test negative? [In our case we were staying in an Airbnb place with decent wifi. We had two laptops, so both my wife and I could work remotely if required - but the additional expense and disruption that would have been caused by a positive test result was massive. The half hour waiting for the test result was a LONG wait!]

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Prepare yourself for the stress of taking the antigen test before you come home! We went to Mexico in April for our daughter's wedding (one of the valid reasons you could fly, at the time). We knew we had to self-isolate for 10 days on return, and take the Day 2 and Day 8 tests. We also obviously had to take the antigen test before getting the flight back to the UK. The process itself is simple, but of course there is the prospect that you test positive. Then what? The potential for an unpleasant illness (albeit unlikely to be too severe, given you're fully vaccinated) - but how long will you be stuck there before you test negative? [In our case we were staying in an Airbnb place with decent wifi. We had two laptops, so both my wife and I could work remotely if required - but the additional expense and disruption that would have been caused by a positive test result was massive. The half hour waiting for the test result was a LONG wait!]

Yes we took that into consideration as it would be a nightmare if that happens! But we'll prepare for that possibility just in case.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s a bit of a faff but the PCR test you need to take before coming back, and PCR on return can be self-administered but the sample has to be lab-processed and the result certified (the package tour companies are all over this with pre-arranged packages if you’re using one of them - if not the airlines have arrangements in place). There are drop-off points in all major resorts, and the day 2 test can be posted in. All for a fee, obviously.

We’re travelling, unless Ibiza hits the red list! I’m a resilient/foolish so and so, these challenges can be overcome, the hotel is worth it :smile:.

I’ve got a load of the admin bits ticked already, I just need to add the new steps tomorrow.

We’re travelling independently, my preference. Although no ABTA cover, the hotel is 100% no payment if we cancel and the cheap-ish flights allow credits to carry forward …. if it’s all off.

An added complication is for our 19 year old, who’ll have to self isolate, having had just one jab. I’ve discovered the Test To Release Scheme, which shortens that to 5 days. He’s weighing up whether it’s all worth it.

Have you taken the plunge with any overseas bookings?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Heading for a socially distanced (isolated) holiday in a yurt in Sussex in just over a week, followed a month later by a similar venture to Somerset in a tree house - not expecting too many problems getting back into Kent...!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We’re travelling, unless Ibiza hits the red list! I’m a resilient/foolish so and so, these challenges can be overcome, the hotel is worth it :smile:.

I’ve got a load of the admin bits ticked already, I just need to add the new steps tomorrow.

We’re travelling independently, my preference. Although no ABTA cover, the hotel is 100% no payment if we cancel and the cheap-ish flights allow credits to carry forward …. if it’s all off.

An added complication is for our 19 year old, who’ll have to self isolate, having had just one jab. I’ve discovered the Test To Release Scheme, which shortens that to 5 days. He’s weighing up whether it’s all worth it.

Have you taken the plunge with any overseas bookings?

Good stuff, same as us - can deal with the requirements as long as they don’t change. Biggest risk is somewhere going Red whilst you’re there but happy to take that chance atm. Yep……some new, some rearranged……have cancelled a lot as well ! Been to Scotland this week, travelling was a dream, no queues anywhere at the airport, flights on time etc etc.

So far…….
Madeira in mid Sept (replacing Portugal which should have been next week)
Portugal end Sept (golf trip - annual thing but didn’t go last year obviously, went to Bournemouth instead)
Antigua in October (rearranged from last year)
Bahamas in May (rearranged from this year)
Will do something in the US as well if the corridor opens.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Two weeks in Lanzarote thankfully means missing Burnley away, who can **** right off anyway

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Heading for a socially distanced (isolated) holiday in a yurt in Sussex in just over a week, followed a month later by a similar venture to Somerset in a tree house - not expecting too many problems getting back into Kent...!

We’re off to Margate for a few days tomorrow……..hopefully no problems getting into Kent :)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Good stuff, same as us - can deal with the requirements as long as they don’t change. Biggest risk is somewhere going Red whilst you’re there but happy to take that chance atm. Yep……some new, some rearranged……have cancelled a lot as well ! Been to Scotland this week, travelling was a dream, no queues anywhere at the airport, flights on time etc etc.

So far…….
Madeira in mid Sept (replacing Portugal which should have been next week)
Portugal end Sept (golf trip - annual thing but didn’t go last year obviously, went to Bournemouth instead)
Antigua in October (rearranged from last year)
Bahamas in May (rearranged from this year)
Will do something in the US as well if the corridor opens.

I love to see holiday plans, yours are always very nice.

We got lucky in August 2020 with a stay in the Italian Sud Tirol, as literally every neighbouring countries corridors with the UK closed.

A53F7D0B-B8B7-4B08-8869-6C1F2A81F954.png

That’s been the sum total. Lots of cancellations eg NYC twice, flight credits, refunds … I manage it all.

Ibiza is booked for later this month, Switzerland at new year, Austria in February and I keep an eye out on the US.

I follow it fairly closely. The US will take some shifting, travel experts explain that this is personally from Biden with a presidential order, he simply doesn’t want Europeans in whilst there’s Covid. A survey by a ski company found that 75% of skiers to North America from the UK expect the complete next winter to be another no-go with that presidential order continuing.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I love to see holiday plans, yours are always very nice.

We got lucky in August 2020 with a stay in the Italian Sud Tirol, as literally every neighbouring countries corridors with the UK closed.

View attachment 138641

That’s been the sum total. Lots of cancellations eg NYC twice, flight credits, refunds … I manage it all.

Ibiza is booked for later this month, Switzerland at new year, Austria in February and I keep an eye out on the US.

I follow it fairly closely. The US will take some shifting, travel experts explain that this is personally from Biden with a presidential order, he simply doesn’t want Europeans in whilst there’s Covid. A survey by a ski company found that 75% of skiers to North America from the UK expect the complete next winter to be another no-go with that presidential order continuing.

That looks stunning

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here