Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Hillsborough match commander David Duckenfield will go on trial *** Not Guilty ***

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Politely I repeat, what is YOUR point?

My point is, that despite the jury's decision, his negligence did contribute to the deaths of those people as decided in the Coroner's court, which is still a court of law.

I also point you politely, to post #183.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
My point is, that despite the jury's decision, his negligence did contribute to the deaths of those people as decided in the Coroner's court, which is still a court of law.

Semantics Madam. A NOT guilty verdict in a criminal court of law.

Or do legal decisions only become fact when you agree with them?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That's it then. Not guilty at the second time of asking. I have to accept that, but whatever legal arguments are put by legal experts (real or self-styled!) the verdict still sits uncomfortably with me (as does the Shoreham verdict).

As far as Hillsborough was concerned, I wonder if the CPS got it wrong. Shocking as the events of the day were, equally shocking were the lies, the cover-up and the whitewash by South Yorkshire police, the Met, and indeed even the government of the day. Surely there were crimes there that could have been pursued - granted that many of the more senior officers, and the members of the government, are now dead and beyond the reach of the law - but not all. Surely some people could and should be held accountable? - conspiracy to pervert the course of justice, perhaps?

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
I feel shattered for the bereaved families and friends of the Hillsborough disaster victims. The dignity they've shown in all the 30 years has been absolutely incredible.

It would be a lovely touch to have a big banner tomorrow with something along the lines of 'Seagulls will always support your search for justice'.

Or a few chants of "Duckenfield's a w*nker, Duckenfield's a w*nker la la la la, la la la la".

:down:

I think a banner would be a nice touch, we are all part of the same football family. Perhaps a simple Justice for the 96? Perhaps the NSK lot have something in mind?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

You are quite right that his negligence contributed to the deaths as found by the inquest. But he is not guilty of the charge of gross negligence. That is how our judiciary works.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Semantics Madam. A NOT guilty verdict in a criminal court of law.

Or do legal decisions only become fact when you agree with them?

People have been hung, or put in prison for facts found in a court of law. Then consequently proved innocent.
I reserve judgement on this one, semantics or not.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
I feel shattered for the bereaved families and friends of the Hillsborough disaster victims. The dignity they've shown in all the 30 years has been absolutely incredible.

It would be a lovely touch to have a big banner tomorrow with something along the lines of 'Seagulls will always support your search for justice'.

Or a few chants of "Duckenfield's a w*nker, Duckenfield's a w*nker la la la la, la la la la".

:down:

Why? A jury of his fellow citizens found him not guilty. What exactly did you want to happen to a 75-year-old thirty years after the event? Surely if a jury gives a not guilty verdict that is the end of the matter?

Nevertheless, prosecutions should surely have been brought against the FA and Sheffield Wednesday for the archaic facilities existing at the ground. Going for Duckenfield and a hapless safety officer does nothing to hide their failure to provide a safe environment.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
People have been hung, or put in prison for facts found in a court of law. Then consequently proved innocent.
I reserve judgement on this one, semantics or not.

You weren't in court though were you?

I understand the need of the families for someone to be brought to justice but a verdict is a verdict.

I'm sure if there had been a jury comprising 12 Liverpool fans, the outcome may have been different. That is why our legal system operates the way it does.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

I understand the need of the families for someone to be brought to justice but a verdict is a verdict.

I'm sure if there had been a jury comprising 12 Liverpool fans, the outcome may have been different. That is why our legal system operates the way it does.

I’m sure someone else will become the target of the JFT96 campaign soon enough..

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

You missed my point. Do you think all verdicts are safe? Every single one?
The footballer who was convicted of rape who had to appeal twice? Russell Bishop who was found not guilty? The Birmingham Six?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m sure someone else will become the target of the JFT96 campaign soon enough..

Have you always been such a little charmer, or is it just the inevitable consequence of eating kangaroo? ???

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Please, grow up, so unnecessary.

In my opinion the court judgement was correct. Did the Police make errors? In hindsight, yes. Was the ground fit for purpose? Probably not. Were there other contributory factors? Without a shadow of a doubt.

Did Duckenfield intentionally cause the deaths of 96 people? No. Were any of the victims other than innocent? No.

What was the cause? A mixture of police errors, poor stadium design/condition, football culture, and many other things.

I wish the families of the bereaved nothing but peace, but I hope this will be the end of the witch hunt. I rather doubt that it will be though.

Your post is crass given what has happened in London today. Shoot and no answers now. Great. :nono:

Not impressed. Not impressed at all.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Your post is crass given what has happened in London today. Shoot and no answers now. Great. :nono:

Not impressed. Not impressed at all.

What the hell are you on about? What does a trial linked to Hillsborough have to do with what happened in London today?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here