Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Higgs Boson so called "god particle" discovered claim LHC!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
34064 - thank you for putting it so simply.

:eek:

I tried reading it but my mind wandered when he started talking about femidoms and leprechauns in the first paragraph.

I was picturing Sam from Stargate explaining it in her underwear, so I am none the wiser.

I'm also a bit concerned that Mackail-Smith and his huge cryostats could present an injury worry

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
That's the $ 64,000,000 question. They're Scientists and enjoy this kind of thing. Fortunately I'm just a humble Engineer, it's my job to build the thing, not justify what they do with it.

However CERN does cost a fortune to run, because :

a) It's so complicated.
b) It's big.
c) It uses a lot of liquid helium, which is expensive to produce (and a lot of liquid nitrogen too, but that is much cheaper).

Isn't there a risk that the Hadron Collider could create a micro black hole.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Was watching Prof Brian Cox on Eden last night, try to explain to me how a dying star collapses and creates all the elements. I do REALLY try to understand, but it is just too much for me.
I know the feeling, some of it is a bit mental.
I loved the bit whereby he said that Beetlejuice, could go supernova "at any moment" which in cosmology that means, anytime in the next million years. Sounded a bit like NSCs definition of iminent.
What he should have said was that Betelgeuse may have gone supernova hundreds years ago, and we could see it any day.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
What he should have said was that Betelgeuse may have gone supernova hundreds years ago, and we could see it any day.

To be fair he did say it could be in a million years, or any minute now.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Isn't there a risk that the Hadron Collider could create a micro black hole.

Safety of particle collisions at the Large Hadron Collider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Explains the history better than I can, but a lot of the supposed concerns aren't concerned with the 'Standard Model' but are based upon theories proposed to explain why the Standard Model can't explain the existance of matter and antimatter.

Apparently it's only The Sun and Daily Mail who've quoted Otto Rossler: "The weather will change completely, wiping out life. There will be a Biblical Armageddon."

And of course it's in the Sun so it must be true - they're noted for their authoritive articles on particle physics.

The September 2008 quench was traced to a faulty electrical connection causing a localised heat source and boiled off 6 tonnes of liquid helium - not only did that take a long time to vent from underground it raised the magnet temperature by 100 kelvin, warmer than liquid nitrogen, and damaged 53 magnets. The loss of vacuum wouldn't have really mattered too much but helium takes a long time to be evacuated from a vacuum because it's one of the lightest elements, plus there was some soot damage ( a pain because everything would have had to be disassembled, cleaned or replaced and reassembled ). I imagine with 9,300 magnets CERN (like us) carry an inventory of spares but it still takes time to replace them all.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To be fair he did say it could be in a million years, or any minute now.
Yes, but my point is it's not somewhere between a million years and any minute, it's between a million years and 600 years ago (ie, it's happened, we just haven't seen it yet).

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Yes, but my point is it's not somewhere between a million years and any minute, it's between a million years and 600 years ago (ie, it's happened, we just haven't seen it yet).

Ok, yeah, I get you.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Check out the size of Betelgeuse:

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Just seen Steven Hawking talking about it on the BBC News. He could at least look happy at such a scientific breakthrough, miserable sod.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I don't understand any of this!

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what a G-spot is :shrug:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Just seen Steven Hawking talking about it on the BBC News. He could at least look happy at such a scientific breakthrough, miserable sod.

That is SO harsh...maybe he's just had a bad day?

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
The results from CERN are quoting a 5sigma level of probability ( sigma being the standard deviation that an event has a likelihood of occuring ) which means they are 97% certain that what they are detecting is a new particle at 125 GeV ( giga electron volt ) or 125,000,000,000 eV. ( In fact 5sigma means it's actually only a 3% chance that the particle they are observing is some random event down to chance ).

They're a bit more certain than that!

5 Sigma is 99.99995% chance that it is not a random event.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Cheers 36064 F C. Your explanations have kind of made me understand it a bit better. Am I right then in thinking that matter at its smallest and most basic form is made up of various particles, some of which we know about and have identified and can predict how they interact and function and some particles are more elusive or difficult to detect such as the Higgs Boson? And the Higgs is important because it is a particle that can prove certain theories and also is believed to be the particle that explains why collections of particles have actual mass and everything isn't just floating about in space in a big particle soup.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
They're a bit more certain than that!

5 Sigma is 99.99995% chance that it is not a random event.

Glad you explained that - I never really understood the relationship between standard deviation and probability - but then I didn't do statistics, I did maths with mechanics at A-level, you only did the statistics bit if you did maths with economics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here