Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Higgs Boson so called "god particle" discovered claim LHC!

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
It was down the back of the sofa the whole time!

Who'd a thunk it?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Don't know much about it either, but quite emotional when Higgs, who first suggested the particle may exist back in 1960, was in tears that it had been discovered in his lifetime. Must be an incredible feeling for him.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've been following this on the news this morning - there's a fair whack of coverage on this.

I haven't got a f***ing clue what they're on about.
This. I've tried reading about it about ten times and still haven't got a clue what it actually means. ???

I've been following this on the news this morning - there's a fair whack of coverage on this.

From what I gathered, at the moment of the big bang, the higgs whatnot appeared briefly and atoms that went through the afore mentioned higgs thingummy took on mass which created stuff.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
So the Universe is like a Flapjack. Oats and Golden Syrup, the oats are the stuff we can see and know about, the Higgs-Boson is the Golden Syup sticking to the oats and giving them mass. Still a lot of space left to fill.
Flipping a coin and getting heads 20 out of 20 is the level of proof which has been obtained. So still maybe not correct. :hilton:

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
So the Universe is like a Flapjack. Oats and Golden Syrup, the oats are the stuff we can see and know about, the Higgs-Boson is the Golden Syup sticking to the oats and giving them mass. Still a lot of space left to fill.
Flipping a coin and getting heads 20 out of 20 is the level of proof which has been obtained. So still maybe not correct. :hilton:

Or is that flipping a coin and getting tails once out of 3.5 million flips? :hilton:

It's more like knowing you have a cupcake, but the only bit of it you can actually see/eat is the glace cherry on top.

I love cup cakes btw :smile:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
That's good. Now they can carry on with creating the black hole that will engulf central Europe and thereby solve the European debt crisis.

And no, having read the book "Massive", I still have no idea what they are talking about either!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Was watching Prof Brian Cox on Eden last night, try to explain to me how a dying star collapses and creates all the elements. I do REALLY try to understand, but it is just too much for me. He really does try to explain it in such a logical way, with such enthusiasm, that I think if he'd been my physics / chemistry teacher, I'd have absolutely LOVED the whole subject. But as it is, I find it really hard to get my head around almost any of it.

I loved the bit whereby he said that Beetlejuice, could go supernova "at any moment" which in cosmology that means, anytime in the next million years. Sounded a bit like NSCs definition of iminent.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption

Me too! I'm a reasonably intelligent person and have read several reports and articles on this and even the simplified laymans explanations and i may as well be reading chinese upside down. I still don't understand it or even have any idea what they are talking about. Still it appears an apparently significant and momentus scientific discovery so well done to them.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Was watching Prof Brian Cox on Eden last night, try to explain to me how a dying star collapses and creates all the elements. I do REALLY try to understand, but it is just too much for me. He really does try to explain it in such a logical way, with such enthusiasm, that I think if he'd been my physics / chemistry teacher, I'd have absolutely LOVED the whole subject. But as it is, I find it really hard to get my head around almost any of it.

I loved the bit whereby he said that Beetlejuice, could go supernova "at any moment" which in cosmology that means, anytime in the next million years. Sounded a bit like NSCs definition of iminent.

Betelgeuse could die tomorrow or the next thousand years. And boy will it be fun when it happens.

Higgs almost proves particle physics theories from the 50's about how mass is created. It's a special day.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Still it appears an apparently significant and momentus scientific discovery so well done to them.

There are lots of implications, but the one that matters most immediately is that it validates the "standard model" of particle physics. The standard model has been kicking around for something like 50 years, but there were lots of holes in it where particles should exist but they couldn't prove or disprove their existence. The Higgs boson is the last of these particles to be found and now that it has been physicists can get on with adding in all of the other missing pieces (such as gravity) knowing that they have a relatively solid base on which to build.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here