Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Here they come, get ready for the roar!!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Come on Tim

tim.JPG

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Fvcking hate Wimbledon and everything associated with it. Memories of summers in offices full of people (almost exclusively women) who express literally no interest in sport at any other time cluelessly gabbling on endlessly about whatever twunt was on at the time……..to confirm my hatred, I actually went once on a corporate ticket. Worst ****ing ‘sporting’ experience of my life. Hordes of middle-aged, red-faced, pissed on free champagne freeloading executives and their awful wives guffawing and worrying about where their next canape was coming from with literally no interest in the actual sport at all.

….and tennis is shit anyway.

**** off.

To be fair major football tournaments – such as the current one – do exactly the same and bring out the same sort of 'characters'. Less about the sport, more about the people.

But I do agree about tennis. It's one of the very few sports I can't tolerate watching or playing.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The BBC are shite for so many sports... it only exists for them when it’s the biggie. They couldn’t even cover the British Athletics and Olympic trials this weekend.
Wait till the Olympics when they cover ‘The Fastest man on Earth” supreme showdown.

Tossers

Bit harsh! It's probably partly because a) it's channels aren't sports channels b) people moan if there is too much sport on terestrial TV, or too much money is spent on it and c) the big events you highlight cater to EXACTLY the sort of crowd [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] is on about, which probably makes up a large proportion of the population!

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Fvcking hate Wimbledon and everything associated with it. Memories of summers in offices full of people (almost exclusively women) who express literally no interest in sport at any other time cluelessly gabbling on endlessly about whatever twunt was on at the time……..to confirm my hatred, I actually went once on a corporate ticket. Worst ****ing ‘sporting’ experience of my life. Hordes of middle-aged, red-faced, pissed on free champagne freeloading executives and their awful wives guffawing and worrying about where their next canape was coming from with literally no interest in the actual sport at all.

….and tennis is shit anyway.

**** off.

This 100%.

Went on corporate entertainment as well. Thought I'd pop into the shop for a souvenir for the kids. Child's T shirt 100 quid!

And yes - chock full of city types on an afternoon off (me included I guess). What got me most was how few people actually watch it live. I saw Andy Murray on Centre Court and when he'd finished the court was less than a quarter full for the next match. Social distancing won't be a problem till you get to the scintillating final.

It dawned on me that it is because of Wimbledon we are so rubbish at tennis. It is a load of privileged nonsense which has no connection with grass roots sport whatsoever.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Cracking match on at the moment with an upset on the cards. Tsitsipas down 2 sets and 1-3 to Tiafoe who I hadn’t heard of two hours ago

Without wanting to go all Crodo, Centre Court surface looks bloody fantastic

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Bit harsh! It's probably partly because a) it's channels aren't sports channels b) people moan if there is too much sport on terestrial TV, or too much money is spent on it and c) the big events you highlight cater to EXACTLY the sort of crowd [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] is on about, which probably makes up a large proportion of the population!

I agree in the sense that athletics meetings are dying on their arses with dwindling attendances but that is because everyone forgot how that ‘Super Saturday’ in 2012 came about. It was through investment and the subsequent sponsorships deals that helped The Jess Ennis the Greg Rutherford and the Mo Farahs of this world get where they got. The reason the BBC didn’t cover the British Athletics Olympic trials was because they didn’t deem it a big enough deal to continue covering it after 2020 after British Athletics asked for 50 k more to improve organisation on the competition…….I’m totally biased on this sport as I’m proud to say my son was there competing so yes it’s a bugbear of mine…….
Legacy……hahaha

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Shocking scenes at Wimbledon, Sir Andy Murray 2 sets up and 5-0 up in the third set (3 breaks) and contrives to lose the set.

:nono:

Centre Court audience in fine voice trying to gee Murray up with 'lets go Andy, let's go!!' but now the roof has been closed, surely has to be played behind closed doors as a relatively full crowd and now an indoor environment with poor ventilation?

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Can vaguely recall watching Wimbledon about 30 years ago, specifically Monica Seles matches. I went blind shortly afterwards and have not seen it since. :tosser:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I agree in the sense that athletics meetings are dying on their arses with dwindling attendances but that is because everyone forgot how that ‘Super Saturday’ in 2012 came about. It was through investment and the subsequent sponsorships deals that helped The Jess Ennis the Greg Rutherford and the Mo Farahs of this world get where they got. The reason the BBC didn’t cover the British Athletics Olympic trials was because they didn’t deem it a big enough deal to continue covering it after 2020 after British Athletics asked for 50 k more to improve organisation on the competition…….I’m totally biased on this sport as I’m proud to say my son was there competing so yes it’s a bugbear of mine…….
Legacy……hahaha

Fair enough, I didn't even realise that the BBC were in the running for Olympic trials. I've never seen it broadcast that kind of event in the past – only normally Diamond League stuff.

I totally agree the whole 'legacy' ship has well and truly sailed. It was always bound to happen though – we are becoming more and more lazy as a species and it's hard enough to get kids into mainstream sports, let alone some of the more obscure events covered in track and field...

Anyway, I hope Questions Jnr got on well. What discipline was he competing in?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Fair enough, I didn't even realise that the BBC were in the running for Olympic trials. I've never seen it broadcast that kind of event in the past – only normally Diamond League stuff.

I totally agree the whole 'legacy' ship has well and truly sailed. It was always bound to happen though – we are becoming more and more lazy as a species and it's hard enough to get kids into mainstream sports, let alone some of the more obscure events covered in track and field...

Anyway, I hope Questions Jnr got on well. What discipline was he competing in?

The 100m and he false started ,, A year’s planing gone poof,,,,,, It was the British Championships doubling up with thecTrials ,,, my las wasntvexpect to make the final although the semis were possible ,,,, He’ll be back though

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Shocking scenes at Wimbledon, Sir Andy Murray 2 sets up and 5-0 up in the third set (3 breaks) and contrives to lose the set.

:nono:

Centre Court audience in fine voice trying to gee Murray up with 'lets go Andy, let's go!!' but now the roof has been closed, surely has to be played behind closed doors as a relatively full crowd and now an indoor environment with poor ventilation?

Yep ..whole tournament should be abandoned

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Less than 48 hours now until we hear Sue Barker utter those immortal words and we as a nation go absolutely tennis bonkers for a fortnight.

A very special tournament this year after no Wimbledon last year and the first major sporting event with full capacity audiences. Should be an absolutely cracking couple of weeks.

:clap:

I see from some of the replies that many people figure you're a massive fan of les duels avec raquettes.

:bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here