Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Here kitty, kitty

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
How much will Brighton need to launch a top 2 finish next season?

3-5 million? I am not saying that is how much we have but that would buy you 2/3 class championship/ league 1 players players

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I always think the transfer fees are a moot point. They fall into insignificance when you consider the cost of paying a top class player's wages over 2-3 seasons. I would be more interested to know the increase in playing budget, rather than the money set aside for transfers.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I always think the transfer fees are a moot point. They fall into insignificance when you consider the cost of paying a top class player's wages over 2-3 seasons. I would be more interested to know the increase in playing budget, rather than the money set aside for transfers.
This.

Although I wouldn't be surprised to see some flair Spanish or Italian second division players making their way into our squad. Imagine a squad of 11 Calderons. FLAIR.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton

Good point. It's as much about wages and signing on fees as it is transfers.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Good point. It's as much about wages and signing on fees as it is transfers.

Exactly.
I've just posted this on another thread, that Austin and Paynter at Swindon are both out of contract in the summer. Austin would require compensation? as he's under 24 i believe, but Paynter would not. Offer either a hefty signing on fee and decent wages with that saved on the transfer fee's and surely we'd have a chance?
Im sure lots of decent free transfers will spring up in the summer.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Exactly.

Probably my biggest pet peeve on NSC is people getting hung up on transfer fees. Some only seem to be happy if there are big headline transfer numbers being bandied about.

They completely disregard the many other costs involved in acquiring and then keeping a player on the books.

Consider the following....

1. Albion buy a single player for a £3m transfer fee.

2. Albion buy 5 players for combined £3m transfer fees.

3. Albion acquire 8 players on free transfers. The players are mid-career with decent track records at Championship level and are free because their existing contracts have expired.

In all likelihood, the last option will cost the club more over 2-3 years than the other 2, yet not a penny will have been paid in transfer fees (although a sizable sum will probably have been spent in signing on fees)

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Exactly.

Probably my biggest pet peeve on NSC is people getting hung up on transfer fees. Some only seem to be happy if there are big headline transfer numbers being bandied about.

They completely disregard the many other costs involved in acquiring and then keeping a player on the books.

Consider the following....

1. Albion buy a single player for a £3m transfer fee.

2. Albion buy 5 players for combined £3m transfer fees.

3. Albion acquire 8 players on free transfers. The players are mid-career with decent track records at Championship level and are free because their existing contracts have expired.

In all likelihood, the last option will cost the club more over 2-3 years than the other 2, yet not a penny will have been paid in transfer fees (although a sizable sum will probably have been spent in signing on fees)

the 2nd one for me

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
In this day I dont think you have to Much if at all on transfer fees to get a good squad together, I would be interested to know how much swindon spent this season.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In this day I dont think you have to Much if at all on transfer fees to get a good squad together, I would be interested to know how much swindon spent this season.

Indeed.

But "not spending much on transfer fees" does not necessarily equal "not spending much on players".

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
In/Out Player Name Amount/Type To/From
Frank Nouble On Loan West Ham United
Stephen Darby On Loan Liverpool
Lloyd Macklin Loan : Expired Torquay United
Matt Ritchie Loan : Recalled Portsmouth
Hasney Aljofree Free Transfer Oldham Athletic
Lee Peacock Undisclosed Grimsby Town
Vincent Pericard Free Transfer
Anthony McNamee Undisclosed Norwich City
Alan Sheehan On Loan Leeds United
Anthony McNamee Loan : Expired Norwich City
Danny Ward On Loan Bolton Wanderers
Sean Morrison Loan : Expired Southend United
Peter Brezovan Released
Ibon Arietea Released
Kurt Hammonds Released
Hamid Razak Released
Chris Allen Free Transfer Weymouth
Patrick Kanyuka Released
Lilian Nalis Released
Mark Marshall Loan : Expired Hereford United
Alex Revell Loan : Expired Southend United
Simon Ferry On Loan Celtic
Ben Hutchinson Loan : Expired Celtic
Tope Obadeyi Loan : Expired Bolton Wanderers
Jerel Ifil Undisclosed Aberdeen
Jack Smith Free Transfer Millwall
Jamie Vincent Free Transfer Walsall
Scott Cuthbert Undisclosed Celtic
Ben Joyce Free Transfer Torquay United
Jonathan Douglas Free Transfer Leeds United
Simon Cox £ 1,500,000 West Bromwich Albion
Alan O'Brien Free Transfer Hibernian
Ady Williams Undisclosed Weston-S-Mare
Barry Corr Free Transfer Exeter City
Gordon Greer Free Transfer Doncaster Rovers
Jake Hyde Free Transfer Barnet FC
David Lucas Free Transfer Leeds United
Michael Pook Free Transfer Cheltenham Town
Blair Sturrock Released

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I appreciate it is not all about transfer fees but having the option puts clubs in a stronger position. Top class out of contract players will obviously have more options and the question would be why would you go to a league one club with potential as opposed to an established championship club. arguably our best buy this season has been Elliott Bennett and if we had not had the money to buy him he never would have come. Poyet is smart and I| can't imagine him throwing money around like confetti but I believe he will have to buy big to attract players to get us a top two position

Pretty sure we will need up to around 2 million. You could get 4 good players at half a million each for that. We have to think about what we really need to make us a Championship club and I look at the current crop and see a very, very good squad that is missing 2 or 3 quality players.

If we can get Calderon, Lua Lua and hopefully Painter and Barness in, although the later two seem unlikely, then we really only need 3 more first team players. We should try to get a Center back who is miles to good for this league, perhaps from the prem. then you would look at the team and say maybe we could find better players than Navarro and Dicker, so that is two midfielders. Then we would need a striker. I personally feel Murray may still be on his way and even so he can't play every game, so a striker in the ilk of say Hooper would be good, albeit that he would cost 600k +

I would be more than happy with:

Brezovan
Calderon, Prem/Champ CB, Elphick, Painter
.................Champ Def Mid..................
Bennett, Crofts, Prem/Champ CM, Lua Lua
..................Murray or Champ striker.......

I think we could comfortable achieve that for around 2 million.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Well look at how you think the squad needs to be improved, i think 20+ goals a season striker, on top of everything already here (some of whom will cost a fair bit to bring in) assuming people like hendrie continue to improve.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Pretty sure we will need up to around 2 million. You could get 4 good players at half a million each for that. We have to think about what we really need to make us a Championship club and I look at the current crop and see a very, very good squad that is missing 2 or 3 quality players.

If we can get Calderon, Lua Lua and hopefully Painter and Barness in, although the later two seem unlikely, then we really only need 3 more first team players. We should try to get a Center back who is miles to good for this league, perhaps from the prem. then you would look at the team and say maybe we could find better players than Navarro and Dicker, so that is two midfielders. Then we would need a striker. I personally feel Murray may still be on his way and even so he can't play every game, so a striker in the ilk of say Hooper would be good, albeit that he would cost 600k +

I would be more than happy with:

Brezovan
Calderon, Prem/Champ CB, Elphick, Painter
.................Champ Def Mid..................
Bennett, Crofts, Prem/Champ CM, Lua Lua
..................Murray or Champ striker.......

I think we could comfortable achieve that for around 2 million.

I think there will be a lot of clubs sniffing round Calderon as well. Why are Barnes and Painer unlikely?

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Pretty sure we will need up to around 2 million. You could get 4 good players at half a million each for that.

So we don't have to pay the player any wages? Signing on fee? Agents fee? Great. We'd need more than 2 million for 4 players at half a million.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
....Poyet is smart and I can't imagine him throwing money around like confetti ......

Agree. I think we'll see something similar to January - established Championship players, overseas out of contract players and young players with potential (that Gus and the team can work with). If we have to pay fees then OK - more than likely it will be 'development fees' for the youngsters. We already have a base of about 9 or 10 established players (and more if we can sign Calderon & Painter).

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Something that hasn't already be mentioned... Poyet has said the squad is too big. Expect to see at least 2 players leaving for every new signing. Supposedly the squad will be 23 or 24 players next season. At the moment we have 36 players, including loanees and those on loan to us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here