Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Offers] Her Majesty The Queens Platinum Jubilee - Official Thread

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Went to an Evensong Service at ST. Marys Storrington tonight which was basically Her favourite Hymns, as it happens most of them are my favourites as well.

He Who Would be Valiant Be is my old School Hymn which we used to sing on Founders Day.

Finished with Jerusalem, I can never get to the end without of it without tears in my eyes.

I can never get to the end of Jerusalem without wondering if William Blake was on opium when he wrote it. It boils down to him believing Jesus visited England and is therefore the chosen country. Barmy.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I read that William Blake wrote Jerusalem in Sussex and was inspired by the beauty of the countryside.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
https://blog.tooveys.com/2018/03/9169/

William Blake in Sussex

Amongst these is the preface to Blake’s ‘Milton a Poet’ which was inspired by his time at Felpham and begun here in Sussex. The preface, titled ‘And Did Those Feet in Ancient Time’, measures just 9 x 7 inches and is better known to us today as ‘Jerusalem’. It embodies a creative freedom which responds to the pastoral, natural beauty of rural England whose spirit was awakened in Blake in Sussex.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
https://blog.tooveys.com/2018/03/9169/

William Blake in Sussex

Amongst these is the preface to Blake’s ‘Milton a Poet’ which was inspired by his time at Felpham and begun here in Sussex. The preface, titled ‘And Did Those Feet in Ancient Time’, measures just 9 x 7 inches and is better known to us today as ‘Jerusalem’. It embodies a creative freedom which responds to the pastoral, natural beauty of rural England whose spirit was awakened in Blake in Sussex.

Well I'll just pitch in with thank god for William Blake as his works were the inspiration for much of Bruce Dickinson's excellent solo album ' A Tyranny of Souls '.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I can never get to the end of Jerusalem without wondering if William Blake was on opium when he wrote it. It boils down to him believing Jesus visited England and is therefore the chosen country. Barmy.

Many Christians believe Jesus visited Britain. I’ve been to a few of the supposed sites they visited such as the church in Gulval in Cornwall. I mean, I don’t believe so it’s nonsense to me but people didn’t need opiates to believe it, it was believed by many sober Christians.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well I'll just pitch in with thank god for William Blake as his works were the inspiration for much of Bruce Dickinson's excellent solo album ' A Tyranny of Souls '.

Indeed. And I agree. Brilliant album .

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Oh do piss off...

Bit harsh, I Iove the song and as Clamp says there are sorts of mythological tales about Jesus visiting Britain.

However, if taken literally the words can be interpreted as there is something religiously special about the United Kingdom which unfortunately some do.

It's an interesting song which has been embraced politically by both the left and the right. However it is let down with the Jesus visiting the UK on a gap year lyric.

Personally Abide with Me is the one.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There’s even a version of the Grail myth that has the chalice leaving England from Shoreham harbour after being protected by the Knights Templar at Combe church.

Now, I’m willing to believe opium was involved in that one !!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Thank God thats all over!

Really? You should have said before.

To be honest, I wasn't especially anticipating the jubilee with any degree of expectation or excitement but I just took it for what it was and ended up really enjoying the long weekend. I wasn't invited to any parties or events - but even so I enjoyed the general sense of community and togetherness that seemed to wash across the country for 4 days. We have 361 other days set aside for the usual mundane routine and division, so it felt good just to see the whole country relax a bit and not take itself so seriously. We needed it. Still, you've been dropping into this thread regularly over the weekend to say how much you weren't enjoying it so welcome to a cold, drab, grey Monday morning. Probably more your thing.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Really? You should have said before.

To be honest, I wasn't especially anticipating the jubilee with any degree of expectation or excitement but I just took it for what it was and ended up really enjoying the long weekend. I wasn't invited to any parties or events - but even so I enjoyed the general sense of community and togetherness that seemed to wash across the country for 4 days. We have 361 other days set aside for the usual mundane routine and division, so it felt good just to see the whole country relax a bit and not take itself so seriously. We needed it. Still, you've been dropping into this thread regularly over the weekend to say how much you weren't enjoying it so welcome to a cold, drab, grey Monday morning. Probably more your thing.

I'm a bit the same. I didn't really do anything other than celebrate my own birthday, but I took my boys to the cinema at the Marina on Sunday and cycled down there and it was nice to pass numerous street parties and bunting and such. I don't think you need a Royal family to do that, but when these community moments come about it is nice. I mean I hadn't fully formed by republican views at 7 years old where I have brilliant childhood memories of a huge street party where I lived in '81, but it is a really clear memory of a great day with all the families and friends out together. Weirdly to expand on that, while most other kids for the fancy dress were dressed as princes, royalty and such, my Dad painted me green and put me in some torn clothes and I went as the Hulk. Odd part of the memories that to be honest...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Many Christians believe Jesus visited Britain. I’ve been to a few of the supposed sites they visited such as the church in Gulval in Cornwall. I mean, I don’t believe so it’s nonsense to me but people didn’t need opiates to believe it, it was believed by many sober Christians.

As a practising Christian, that's the first I've heard of it.
I knew there were fables about Joseph of Aramathea (who lent his new tomb to the dead body after crucifixion) visiting Glastonbury, but I have honestly never found any Christian who believes that Jesus ever left the Middle East.

Many churches in Europe did claim to have relics or items, they started charging for people to see, making money, which is why Henry VIII dissolved all the monasteries here. The myth of the Holy Grail etc

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm a bit the same. I didn't really do anything other than celebrate my own birthday, but I took my boys to the cinema at the Marina on Sunday and cycled down there and it was nice to pass numerous street parties and bunting and such. I don't think you need a Royal family to do that, but when these community moments come about it is nice. I mean I hadn't fully formed by republican views at 7 years old where I have brilliant childhood memories of a huge street party where I lived in '81, but it is a really clear memory of a great day with all the families and friends out together. Weirdly to expand on that, while most other kids for the fancy dress were dressed as princes, royalty and such, my Dad painted me green and put me in some torn clothes and I went as the Hulk. Odd part of the memories that to be honest...

If you think we go over the top in this country, take a look at Kings Day {Koningsdag) in the Netherlands. They celebrate it every year.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As a practising Christian, that's the first I've heard of it.
I knew there were fables about Joseph of Aramathea (who lent his new tomb to the dead body after crucifixion) visiting Glastonbury, but I have honestly never found any Christian who believes that Jesus ever left the Middle East.

Many churches in Europe did claim to have relics or items, they started charging for people to see, making money, which is why Henry VIII dissolved all the monasteries here. The myth of the Holy Grail etc

Not being a Christian I appreciate the insight. Thank you. I was only going on research I did when visiting various sites in the U.K.

I was doing a project in 2016 on the cross-over between myth, legend and history and how one has influenced the other throughout history. An interest of mine at the time.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
It was handy to find out the Red Arrows usually fly in the air though.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Are you sure about that?

Wasn't it more to do with fact that Henry couldn't get Rome to annul his marriage so the Church of England disassociated from papal rule and that left all the catholic monasteries and churches vulnerable to the will of Henry. Yes they were rich but wasn't that because people bequeathed monies to the church to help get them through the great gates? Not to do with the local church claiming to have a relic of christ .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here