Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Offers] Her Majesty The Queens Platinum Jubilee - Official Thread

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I’ve no idea if the organisers - like the Headmaster of a minor prep school on Prize Giving Day - have decided to keep the idiot child out of sight as much as possible.

Or if Johnson himself has decided it is best for him if he keeps a low profile. He is utterly toxic and he is well aware that every time he is seen being booed and jeered by ‘middle England’ another wavering Tory MP watching at home allows their mind to wander to the size of the majority and if their prospects for re-election would be better served by another leader.

Hopefully we’ll all be seeing a lot less of him soon.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’ve no idea if the organisers - like the Headmaster of a minor prep school on Prize Giving Day - have decided to keep the idiot child out of sight as much as possible.

Or if Johnson himself has decided it is best for him if he keeps a low profile. He is utterly toxic and he is well aware that every time he is seen being booed and jeered by ‘middle England’ another wavering Tory MP watching at home allows their mind to wander to the size of the majority and if their prospects for re-election would be better served by another leader.

Hopefully we’ll all be seeing a lot less of him soon.

:lolol:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Exactly. PM is arguably the second most powerful role in public life in the U.K. The office and those who occupy it normally walk hand in hand with the head of state. The PM heads up Her Majesty's Government. It's a sad indictment of the man that currently occupies that office that not only was he not invited to publicly say a few words of thanks to our Liz, but his very presence was ignored as much as possible.

Is that someone anyone wants in that role? A Prime Minister so unpopular he is cropped out of the biggest party in the U.K since the 2012 Olympics.

Was there any focus on any other prime minster at any previous royal events ? Or were they all “cropped out” too ???

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Was there any focus on any other prime minster at any previous royal events ? Or were they all “cropped out” too ???

Yes.

You don't believe that Boris Johnson's presence was deliberately played down at the last few days events?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Boris is probably still inside an outside broadcast truck, having been sent there on Saturday evening and told to ask for a long stand for his microphone.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Was there ?
I really can’t remember, as like most people they were probably concentrated on the day and not some odd fixation about why or why not the current PM at the time was in camera shot or not !

Tony Blair loved a Royal occasion.

If you can't remember, it seems a bit daft to be arguing either way, doesn't it?

Arguing a point that you've just said you don't know is accurate or not. How very Johnsonian :p

I wasn't fixated, as you put it. I simply happened to observe the lack of usual PM coverage and the overwhelmingly negative press he got whenever he was mentioned. One doesn't have to be "oddly fixated" to notice things.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
It seems that alongside selective hearing issues (re: booing), there's also an outbreak of selective sight occurring (re: the inexplicable absence of the PM enjoying the occasion).
Odd, that.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It seems that alongside selective hearing issues (re: booing), there's also an outbreak of selective sight occurring (re: the inexplicable absence of the PM enjoying the occasion).
Odd, that.

This is why I said we have to manage expectations. While this mind-set exists, BJ could could very well go on to win a general election. It's taken three years for a lot of people to cotton on to him, it could take a lot longer before any action takes place.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I haven't watched any of it, beyond flicking on and off the concert.

However I have read the news and the Government do appear to have stepped back. But they usually do.

For those old enough to remember Thatcher and The Queen got on like a house on fire.....

No, I'd imagine the Government were hoping that they would exit the Jubilee undamaged and subsequently benefit from a brief sense of national pride and patriotism.

They even ****ed that up.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If people actually think that a PM scuttling around proceedings like a bloke who's late to clock on, is the norm for a man in the highest office in the land, they must have had one cream tea too many these past few days. He was about as welcome as a mariachi band on a hangover. And well he knew it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
One thing I have enjoyed about this weekend, it’s felt like we’re getting our Britain back. Since 2016 we’ve felt like a spiteful, insular little nation led by spiteful, insular little people. But this was the Britain of London 2012 back. The fun. The nonsense. The madness. I feared we’d lost it. But to see moments like the Queen tapping out the beat to “Another One Bites The Dust” (a song originally performed by a homosexual immigrant) alongside a cartoon bear was magical. It really does feel like a cultural shift, even down to the booing of Boris, that maybe the good times are back.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Went to an Evensong Service at St. Marys Storrington tonight which was basically Her favourite Hymns, as it happens most of them are my favourites as well.

He Who Would be Valiant Be is my old School Hymn which we used to sing on Founders Day.

Finished with Jerusalem, I can never get to the end without of it without tears in my eyes.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
One thing I have enjoyed about this weekend, it’s felt like we’re getting our Britain back. Since 2016 we’ve felt like a spiteful, insular little nation led by spiteful, insular little people. But this was the Britain of London 2012 back. The fun. The nonsense. The madness. I feared we’d lost it. But to see moments like the Queen tapping out the beat to “Another One Bites The Dust” (a song originally performed by a homosexual immigrant) alongside a cartoon bear was magical. It really does feel like a cultural shift, even down to the booing of Boris, that maybe the good times are back.

Ironically I think the Olympics of 2012, especially the opening ceremony seeded an appetite for Brexit. But I do know what you are saying.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Went to an Evensong Service at St. Marys Storrington tonight which was basically Her favourite Hymns, as it happens most of them are my favourites as well.

He Who Would be Valiant Be is my old School Hymn which we used to sing on Founders Day.

Finished with Jerusalem, I can never get to the end without of it without tears in my eyes.

Sounds brilliant. Evensong is one of life’s pure joys.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Went to an Evensong Service at ST. Marys Storrington tonight which was basically Her favourite Hymns, as it happens most of them are my favourites as well.

I can never get to the end of Jerusalem without wondering if William Blake was on opium when he wrote it. It boils down to him believing Jesus visited England and is therefore the chosen country. Mental.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here